Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT MPC '60 Vette

jbwelda

Not really a review, but I guess a rave....

This kit is a must have IMHO, it can be built SEVEN, yes seven different ways. Tons of speed, custom, and racing parts. I have already picked up an extra because there are just too many way to put this thing together. I am planning on building a road racer with on and a drag car with another, maybe after that......

Anyway, spend the money, I cannot see anyone who is a model car fanatic being disappointed in this one.....

alright len thanks for the rave review, im waiting for my lhs to get them in (or back in...owner seemed confused as to whether they had them recently and sold out or what). sounds like a total winner.

Being a Corvette fanatic, I'm gonna get a few of these, Bluesman Mark's post got me all anxious about getting this one. The Bonneville Salt flats car sounds like one option for me also Mark. thanks for the review.

yeah i picked one up after work friday and had a chance to fondle it a bit later that night (something my gf didnt dig all that much thank you very much).

really great assortment of spare parts and cool options...its a foregone conclusion i will be doing the full tonneau salt flat car or some variation there of.

one thing that i noticed though: lots of flash on the small parts. those coil springs are the flashiest (not in the good way) of them so its strange they were a later addition evidently. but i guess we are all used to flash.

some strange parts in there too...whats with that PTO winch? i didnt even notice it in the instructions. but the driver figure is muy cool and the three sets of wheels, nerf bars, two tonneau covers, two dashboards, fire and safety equipment and lots more...what a deal.

one minor problem i noticed was that the stock hood had sprue attached to it in a way its going to be near impossible to separate it without damaging the hood but the blower cutout extra hood looks good except for that big hole in the middle! :(

one of the most interesting kits ive seen in a while, for sure.

Paul,

I think that sand rail kit was 1/20th. MPC used that chassis in a version of their 1/20th AMX and I think an altered also. I really don't think that is where the A rad shell came from.

I have heard that AMT and MPC tooling was getting all mixed up and after enough time and changes they had piles of mold inserts laying around. It could be that the Rad shell insert fit in the hole in the tooling? I am not aware of a pairing of an A rad shell with funny car chassis in the past but I easily could have missed it.

I also got one and compared the two kits,,,, mine did come with [2] front working coils and [4] 2pc slicks....the original came with [4] extra headlight lenses and dont know if its right or wrong but my original has [4] firestone supremes,rather than Goodyears ,,,,,,other than that its the same...a little more flash than years ago but I love it.....

Heres the old box art............................

IMGP0747-vi.jpg

directions then and now...............................

IMGP0024-vi.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I just finished penning my review of the kit for the next issue. Not ti repeat it all here (I be a good boy Gregg! :wink: ) but a couple of points of interest I wanted to share:

The kit has always, even way back then, had the '57 interior. You'll need to 86 the waffle patterns and rescribe all the upholstery for a '60, or even for a '59 which you can do out of this kit as well.

The air cleaners are way too small and not quite accurate for a stock '60. The louvered "pie plate" types were in vogue at the time.

Those two points notwithstanding, it's a great little kit - figuring it's almost forty years old! It may have been eclipsed in terms of state-of-the-art by the Monogram '59 (bring that puppy back boys!!!!!!!!) but it's still an enjoyable build!

• 7 years later...

I have an up-coming project that requires a 1960 Corvette,and being as I primarilly build trucks,i was wondering which of the two kits available is the "better" kit? the AMT or Revell? more accurate,better detail, ease of assembly etc? opinions welcome...............................Thanks in advance!......................Mark

Deffinatly start with the Revell 59 Corvette. It is a nice kit and would pass as a 60 as is. The only difference between a 59 and a 60 is the bucket seat upholstery pattern is different.

I have also built the multi piece Revell 60 Corvette. It can be built real nice too but takes a lot more effort. It says it is a 60 but has 59 seats also.

Deffinatly start with the Revell 59 Corvette. It is a nice kit and would pass as a 60 as is. The only difference between a 59 and a 60 is the bucket seat upholstery pattern is different.

That and the trim in the side cove. Very minor differances.

But there is nothing wrong with the MPC kit and it's easy to find.

Get your hands on either a Revell '58 (recently reissued), or preferably a Revell '59 Corvette kit, and get a resin '60 Trans-kit from Replicas and Miniatures Co, of MD,( if they are still available), as well as a Model Car Garage Photoetch Set for the '58-62 Corvette. That is how I am going to do mine. That will yield the most convincing replica.

Here are a couple of pictures of the MPC '60 Corvette, as first issued in 1968 and reissued a few years back by AMT-Ertl (prior to Round 2). It's built box stock, other than paint detailing and flocked carpet, as well as a tire and wheel swap, and was finished about 14 years ago or so. Four of this car, plus several other C1-C3 Corvettes, at at the link...

DSC_0740-vi.jpg

DSC_0742-vi.jpg

Best regards...TIM

I built a Revell '60 Corvette multi-piece and it went together very well. I find the detail on the parts can be better on Muti piece bodies because it pops out of the tool easier and they can have higher relief than one piece. Seems like they need tapering to to release and the shape suffers from that.

I am making a 61 right now using a Revell '60 Multi piece and an AMT '62 rear.

I agree with Bob Ellis. The Revell multi-piece is a great kit, and they practically give them away on ebay. The MPC 60 is pretty nice too, but has an interior from a 1957, and slightly inaccurate side coves.This my Revell multi-piece from the 1960 (really a '59) kit.

Revell1959Corvette-vi.jpg

It comes with a really nice grab bar, but mine went MIA....

P5230031-vi.jpg

P5230033-vi.jpg

Below is about everything you'd want to know about the old Revell kit... Different issues and box art, plus what's inside the box...

http://public.fotki.com/dwdarby/model_cars/vintage_model_kits/revell_1959_corvette/

Thank you all for the replies and advice! looks like the Revell kit is the way I may go,i've seen them pretty reasonable on the bay,just not real familiar with the differences in Corvette model years,this is a project for a family member,and doesn't need to be 100% correct,as lond as it captures the look and "feel" of the 1:1 car............................................Mark

That Revell 1960 multipiece kit, which is really a 1959, yields a surprisingly nice model and is not difficult to build.

pic001.jpg

pic002.jpg

Note brush painted incorrect colour scheme and missing instrument binnacle on this early work of mine.

This was built from the Skip's Kandy Kiss kit back in the 80s. The wheel covers are from the AMT Riptide kit.

Someone who contrary to me has some basic modelling skills, could actually make something nice out of this.