Model Cars Magazine Forum

The VEGA & PINTO Celebration Thread

Dr. Cranky

Hi,

Can anyone tell me how many different castings it is made of the AMT Ford pinto and also the MPC Pinto?

Does Any resin or photo-etch maker Do Any up-dated parts or emblems to this little cool car :)

I know that AMT have Done 71,72,73,74,75,76,77,

MPC, 74,75,76,78, 80. And also two wagons,year? Is this the complete line of pinto kits? Or have i missed Any kit?

If you have Any Pinto builds, i would love to see them.

Any information you have about these kits, please drop a line here.

Fred

MPC made a '77 hatchback too. They did not make a 1980 Pinto. MPC also made 1977, 1978, and 1979 Pinto wagons. The only '79 is the wagon.

I remember in a car mag I have were there is pictures of the wonder..I thought wagon,but as stated earlier in a post ...wonder pony.it was a funny car painted like a old wonder bread package.I remember that as a kid.I no longer have it.I have MPC 75 car.it has a few pieces missing to it and a MPC 78 pinto wagon and MPC 74 vega...is complete. And another prome style vega..just a grocery getter.Its funny how different they all are.the pinto's have separate parts in the chassis plate but the vega had the rearend and spring as part of the chassis plate...I don't like that part.I sure wished they would reissue the old AMT,MPC vega"s and pinto's modtly the early years.I need to find a 4 banger engine for my pinto and firewall and mirrors. ...don't know where to look other then ebay..I find whole kits...I just need parts.I'm not a believer of parting out complete rare old kits.just to complete mine.keep complete kits ....whole.

The only way Revell would make a new Vega kit would be to do a Motion/Baldwin V8 conversion street.

The existing Vega and Pinto tools are very modified compared to the early 70s small bumper varieties that I think people want. Not sure if Round2 can or would want to back date these tools.

The only way Revell would make a new Vega kit would be to do a Motion/Baldwin V8 conversion street.

The existing Vega and Pinto tools are very modified compared to the early 70s small bumper varieties that I think people want. Not sure if Round2 can or would want to back date these tools.

email Round 2 and ask if rereleases of the Pinto and Vega are on their radar ..

• 1 year later...

Hey Doug, great pic, I got that same kit on my shelf .  a guy was looking for one , I  offered to trade for two new re-Issues, he said I was nuts it wasn't worth it ... 

So sad... 

Edited by bigdrag1

• 5 years later...
On 7/9/2012 at 10:22 AM, Rob Hall said:

Saw this article over the weekend..police stopped a guy driving a junker Pinto wagon that had a gas jug in place of the passenger seat and a hose connected from the jug to the carby. What a moron!

http://img.gawkerassets.com/post/12/2012/07/pinto6.jpg

http://img.gawkerassets.com/post/12/2012/07/pinto.jpg

http://jalopnik.com/5924130/how-was-anyone-driving-this-ridiculously-unsafe-car-on-the-highway/gallery/1?tag=lolcars

Pretty much the same set-up just about every Ford Model T had from 1908 through 1925. Except you were sitting on top of it.

3 hours ago, keyser said:

Lol. Dave, you responded to a 9yo post. 

To be fair, we have seen two AMT Pintos ('77 and the Popper version), the MPC Pinto Cruising Wagon, the MPC Grumpy Jenkins and Bruce Larson Pro Stocks, the AMT Vega Funny Car, and the Rat Trap Vega modified reissued since this topic was started in 2012. Who would have thought?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have no Pintos. I have Vegas. And Monzas. There's not a lot left of the '74, in there. Front Bumpers and grille. I cut the body apart,  because I was going to do a Super Gas car with it, about 35 years ago. somewhere along the way, the rest of the body pieces disappeared. The '72 promo, the blue '71 and the bare white '71 (broken window pillar) all live in the '71 box. The Ziploc bag on top of the pile contains a resin Pro Stock body I bought, a few years ago. The tan resin body is a The Goodstuff Kammback funny car body. It's slightly nicer than AMT's!😉 I also have three later model promos. The Grump car is, of course, the latest reissue.

I don't have as much, on the Monza front--the two '75 Promos and another that will become one of Grumpy's Monzas (in the Ziploc). In the other bag is an AMT gluebomb I bought for the chassis. Not pictured is an unbuilt AMT Monza 2+2, in its latest iteration. The Spyder kit is just that.

DSC_0005cr.jpg

DSC_0006cr.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Around 1977, AMT made a Pinto/Bobcat funnycar (only the front-end was different)

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/amt-t245-ford-pinto-mercury-bobcat-funny-car--1153809

As far as I know (PintoKING's wisdom.... ), this is the ONLY kit of a Mercury Bobcat ever made.

And there was also a 1972-1975 Pinto by PALMER: (horrible, horrible kit!)

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/palmer-plastics-7511-1975-pinto--1145352

Edited by PintoKING
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...