Model Cars Magazine Forum

The VEGA & PINTO Celebration Thread

Dr. Cranky

12 hours ago, Brian Austin said:

PINTOS DELIVER FOR POSTAL SERVICE  

(Chicago Tribune  May 14, 1989)

''Everything we`re ordering has fours,'' he said, which brings up what St. Francis calls the new long-life vehicle.

It is specially built by Grumman Corp., with an aluminum skin, the Chevrolet S-10 frame and Pontiac`s well-traveled, 2.5-liter 4-cylinder engine with throttle-body fuel injection.

St. Francis expects to have them around for 24 years, or until the year 2013.

And here we are rolling into 2022 and they're still in service.

• 2 weeks later...

Love the '77 AMT Pinto. Although a horrendous kit right out the box regarding fit issues and a completely botched up front end update from the original annual, it's a fun build if you like "sculpting"! I hinged the hatchback on mine and detailed the chassis with tie rods and anti roll bar.

'77 Pinto.jpg

Edited by doorsovdoon
  • Like 2

On 12/25/2021 at 2:12 PM, doorsovdoon said:

Love the '77 AMT Pinto. Although a horrendous kit right out the box regarding fit issues and a completely botched up front end update from the original annual, it's a fun build if you like "sculpting"! I hinged the hatchback on mine and detailed the chassis with tie rods and anti roll bar.

'77 Pinto.jpg

As a fan of the Pinto's and having a body shop at the time this body style came out I can tell you that the factory pieces didn't fit all that well either. I always thought that the use of the same front fenders was the main contributing factor. But it made it easy for me to make a later year Pinto out of one of ours when it was totaled in a deer/bank collision. (The wife swerved to miss Bambi's mom dropped the right front wheel and tire off of a really tall shoulder causing the car to make a violent right turn. The only thing she could think of was I had told her if the back end ever started to come around to stay off the brakes and steer it. She didn't realize until later that she had braced herself on the gas pedal and was climbing a hill in third gear and when it came around with the throttle wide open it just smoked the tires and really wore off the outside edge of the left rear tire, (a brand new D-50x13" Comp T/A Radial) and bounced off of vertical bank three different times before she got it stopped. But it was a good thing kinda because the other side of the road was a vertical drop of around fifty feet.