Model Cars Magazine Forum

Found this while looking for somemore reference pics for the model I am building. Beautiful car. All other pics show a gold engine but they restored this one with a red engine, Any ideas as to why they may do this? This guys was on Spped Channel with Dream Car Garage and I loved to watch that show but, sadily it apeears if it is gone off of Speed with all there Nascar ###### now. Lots of other beautiful cars on there website as well for references.

http://www.legendarymotorcar.com/site/276

• 1 month later...

About the engine color, afaik the 1954 model year the factory switched engine color from gold to red. It may be a later model engine. Although I would guess by the overall "restored" look of this car that they sprayed the block & head in red, for whatever reason.

Also wondering if that body and interior color could possibly be stock?

• 2 weeks later...

Found this while looking for somemore reference pics for the model I am building. Beautiful car. All other pics show a gold engine but they restored this one with a red engine, Any ideas as to why they may do this? This guys was on Spped Channel with Dream Car Garage and I loved to watch that show but, sadily it apeears if it is gone off of Speed with all there Nascar ###### now. Lots of other beautiful cars on there website as well for references.

http://www.legendary...ar.com/site/276

I believe metallic gold was the color of the 7X Twin H-Power engine. Standard Hudson 308 cid engine had a cast-iron cylinder head, could be had with either a single carburetor, or the dual carb setup known as Twin H-Power. The 7X engine was equipped with a high-compression aluminum head, had high lift valves, a stronger crankshaft and high-compression pistons; all parts listed as severe service and as export parts. The 7X is the engine used in Nascar, where it performed stupendously.

I've seen both red and gold Hudson 6's of this period; all engines in the lower-line Wasp were red I believe, as was the Wasp engine used in the new-for-1953 Hudson Jet compact car. Both the Wasp and the Jet could also be had with Twin H-Power but not with the 7X package, as they had a smaller displacement 6.

Art

About the engine color, afaik the 1954 model year the factory switched engine color from gold to red. It may be a later model engine. Although I would guess by the overall "restored" look of this car that they sprayed the block & head in red, for whatever reason.

Also wondering if that body and interior color could possibly be stock?

That shade of blue does not show up on any 1951-53 Hudson color chip chart I have seen. Of course, there were a few colors carried over from 1951-52 into 1953, but not this color. Also, the interior colors are not stock. The "restoration" appears to have had a naugahyde (vinyl) interior installed, which was incorrect for any Hudson in 1953. For 1953, the interior of the Club Coupe, the Brougham (long roofed 2dr sedan) and the 4dr sedan were wool flannel--2 color combo's, just as Dave Metzner lists on the instruction sheet. I believe the Hollywood hardtop also used the same interior options as the sedans and coupe. The convertible (coming to the US in kit form VERY soon!) used red leather interiors for all color combinations.

Art