Model Cars Magazine Forum

Photos! Do YOUR model pictures look like real cars?

Guest Dr. Odyssey

That last one of the Harley is a great shot trick with the perspective of the real bikes in the back ground. I takes more than a casual look (and knowing it is a modell before hand) to see it as anything but real.

Guest Dr. Odyssey

Part of it is also hiding any thing that doesn't look like a model.  This is a pretty good photo if I do say so myself, but I can pick out 4 major bits that give it away as a model.  Can you?

Ummmm, It is too clean? I can't find the other 3.

MODELS2011035-vi.jpgJULY2011024-vi.jpgJULY2011010-vi.jpgMODELS2011027-vi.jpg

Here are some shots I took last summer of a Testors 1/6 Road King, trying for some perspective, they looked pretty good for beginning shots, once I got home and enlarged on the computer I could see most of my flaws. The fact that the bike is so large helps with the illusion, I am going to try more outdoor shots when I get more time.

Mike

Mike these ARE excellent and highly convincing. Thanks for sharing with us.

In some cases it is more about lighting and angles.

The flare of the light knocks out some of the details that clue you into it being a model. And a low angle can help make it look like the photo was taken from the angle a real car would be shot.

Neither of these models are super detailed. But the effect becomes the focal point:

DSC09995.jpg

DSC09994.jpg

DSC03150.jpg

Guest Dr. Odyssey

Those still look like models to me. It is hard to hide the out of scale licence plate on the Ford for example. And the paint on the Ferrari while wet and shiny looks thicker than it would on the real car. Not trying to tear the models down, just saying they still look like models.

Honestly my photography has always been my last priority when it comes to modeling. I take pics to show off my work a bit and thats all I'm shooting for. At least for the time being.

However all you aspiring Revell/Gearz contest types, those pics are critical. If you don't have good photography skills/equiment, find someone who does.

Honestly my photography has always been my last priority when it comes to modeling. I take pics to show off my work a bit and thats all I'm shooting for. At least for the time being.

However all you aspiring Revell/Gearz contest types, those pics are critical. If you don't have good photography skills/equiment, find someone who does.

Pretty much the same for me.

Edited by SuperStockAndy

Mark, guys hey !! , glad to be here finally :)) So to contribute, I have a poser: I made a VW spyder, but the picture as you see it here exists only on computer. I tried everything I knew to make it seem real, and of course the model exists, but the product seems to have accomplished little, because it has no category!

post-9361-0-22658600-1329434493_thumb.jp

Mark, guys hey !! , glad to be here finally :)) So to contribute, I have a poser: I made a VW spyder, but the picture as you see it here exists only on computer. I tried everything I knew to make it seem real, and of course the model exists, but the product seems to have accomplished little, because it has no category!

Roger! My brother! Good to see you here. Shoot me an email!

I sent this picture to my phone to show a few co-workers, and one guy was sure it was real...until I brought the model in the next day:

DSCN6394_edited-vi.jpg

And my friends that I built this Beetle for have this very picture in one of their photo albums; at a car club picnic one fall, a guy browsing through asked where & when they had studio pics of 'Rudy" done.

DSCN2532_edited-vi.jpg

In both cases, realism in the photos wasn't my goal....but the comments were appreciated. B)

That bug sure looks real!!!!!!!!!!!! Very convincing!

Hey Gang,

Thank you for the kind words. Here are a couple of things I think make our models look more like real cars (and bikes!!!! B) ) First, I think a lifelike background instead of the workbench sure helps a lot, natural light helps too instead of the workbench lamp or lamps. Second, I think we get too high up with our camera, some of my earlier pictures look like I was using a ladder, now I try to get on the same level as the model and I am trying to shoot more outdoors. This is the direction I am trying to go. Now, what do you all think about these ideas, and also please share your ideas here. I love threads like this where everyone shares ideas and opinions in a kind way, make me proud to be here. Thanks.

Mike

• 3 years later...

I don't know if this will revive an older thread but... I had a happy accident taking photos of my model. I sat it on my porch rail to catch the sun. (It really needs paint). It is about 5 feet off the ground. I took the picture from about 3 feet or so away and a slight downward angle. It kind of put the background in scale. I just thought it was kind of cool.

post-15713-0-57890900-1433797872_thumb.j

Kinda like this.

image_zps724b8528.jpg

What immediately gives it away is the scale contrast between the model and the surface it's on.

When you shoot a scale model on a "real" surface, if that surface is textured (like concrete), it's obvious that you're looking at a scale model and not the real thing.

Tim Ahlborn, who writes the Trucks column for the magazine, is a master at shooting his models to look like the real thing. If you've ever seen his column in MCM, you know what I'm talking about.

Yes, especially the back drop. Very realistic

What immediately gives it away is the scale contrast between the model and the surface it's on.

When you shoot a scale model on a "real" surface, if that surface is textured (like concrete), it's obvious that you're looking at a scale model and not the real thing.

Maybe this.

image_zps01926577.jpg

If it weren't for the back of my pick up.

Edited by Petetrucker07