Model Cars Magazine Forum

RAT ROD GRIND HOUSE

RAT ROD (Definition according to the new RR Bible, RATROD MAGAZINE) [rat.rod] (noun) FUN, low-budget, traditional, rusty, patina hot rods, built with junk yard parts. Built to drive--not show.

I am hoping all those of us interested in building Rat Rods and keeping up with its new trends will find inspiration in this ALL-YOU-WANTED-TO-KNOW-ABOUT-RAT-RODS-AND-WERE-NOT-AFRAID-TO-ASK thread.

We will take it all, pictures of the real things, your own reference pictures are gravy, ideas for new builds--ANYTHING, really, that is going to be conducive and an eye-full to keep our Rat Rod inspiration and love for FIRED UP!

To start things off, here's a question that perhaps a few of you will know the answer to:

What are the earliest examples of rat-rodding, both real in model form, you can remember?

Here is an excerpt from Wikipedea:

The December 1972 issue of Rod & Custom Magazine was dedicated to the "beater", a low-budget alternative to the over-polished, slickly-painted, customized early car. The beater could easily be considered a progenitor of the rat rod with its cheap upholstery, primer instead of paint, and lack of chrome or polished metals. However, owners of these beaters often had a high-dollar machine sitting in their garage.

As with many cultural terms, there are disputes over the origin of the term "rat rod". Some say it first appeared in an article written in Hot Rod Magazine by Gray Baskerville about cars that still sported a coat of primer. Some claim that the first rat rod was owned by artist Robert Williams who had a '32 Ford Roadster that was painted in primer. Hot Rod magazine has since verified this.[1] Although the term likely started out as derogatory or pejorative (and is still used in this way by many), members of the subcultures that build and enjoy these cars have adopted the term in a positive light.

Here are a couple of links to get your heart pumping:

http://earlyrods.com/

http://autoculture.org/?p=742

http://timelesshotro...merican-Rat-Rod

Here's a link for GOOGLE IMAGE SEARCH for "Rat Rod Model Cars" and a plethora of finished builds and builds in progress by folks out in the world, but many also include folks here on this forum.

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&sugexp=pfwe&gs_nf=1&tok=K9p5ddyNOGAO3xuXbSVtrA&cp=18&gs_id=2e&xhr=t&q=rat+rod+model+cars&gs_upl=&biw=1440&bih=799&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.r_qf.,cf.osb&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=ow89T8zsN4S2twfCovDiBQ

Edited by Dr. Cranky

Here's some inspiration candy to show that the craze has come a long ways . . .

Rat_rod_caddy_by_RedlineGearhead.jpg

tumblr_l47m55IY3j1qzut9po1_1280.jpg

It's a movement that's constantly changing, and it's made a huge impact on the gaming world too:

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/rage/b/pc/archive/2011/04/18/new-rage-dead-city-trailer-release-pre-order-bonuses-announced.aspx?PageIndex=2

Rick, talk about WILD. It's rat infested. Love it. I think what most of us react to in a positive manner about these types of builds is all the stuff that makes you go WOW. Stuff that really shows off, often, a very active imagination. Thanks for sharing these.

LOL, you have a point. A lot of these vehicles are just flat out hideous, but there's something about them that just grabs the imagination. I know I harp on this all the time, but looking at the real stuff sure is a way of getting excited about building another model.

Case in point, I just received this link from a fellow builder in France, who is just as crazy about this sort of eye candy.

http://rusttee.tumblr.com/

Years ago when the rat rod movement was becoming popular, and we started seeing models built rat-fashion I was really appalled. The idea of building something to look bad on purpose was completely alien to me. I just couldn't wrap my brain around it. I mean you wouldn't want a real car all rusty and junky right? So why build one in scale? In fact I started a thread on the old SA forum (before it got strict over there) about that very subject of WHY? It turned into a rather heated argument.

However over the years folks have really stared making beaters, rats and barn finds an art form. And THAT I can really respect. After I tried my first weathering job, it was pretty inevitable that I try my own rat and I really enjoyed it.

And its not easy. Sincerely. Some people think, "I'll throw some rust colored paint at it and call it weathered." We seem to be seeing a lot of that lately. It's every bit as difficult to make a model car look "authentic" as a weathered ride as it would a fine glossy show car.

The pics of my rat rods everyone here has probably seen a zillion times so I'll spare you the repetition, but if you haven't, check my Photobucket link below.

Those of you with great examples of rat rods in scale, feel free to share them.

I remember the first round of builders who got be excited about building a rat rod were folks like Jairus Watson, Dave Roehrle, Jim "Hollywood" Fernandez, Ken Hamilton, and Andy Johnson, although I don't know if any of these folks were among the first to start building rat rods. I know they've built some cool ones . . .

The very first I build was this one:

008-vi.jpg

And between, a few years have passed. I like to build one or two new ones every year just because sometimes and idea just POPs into the old noggin' and I can't help it but execute it . . .

IMG_4331-vi.jpg

Edited by Dr. Cranky

Yeah... .no, I don't care for the '47 Chevy posted. Number of reasons but the least of which is the lack of pride of ownership.

Back in the mid 90's Hot Rod ran the aforementioned article written by Grey Baskerville. In it the four examples were built up from vintage parts. Did you get that? Vintage parts!

The '47 Chevrolet has a modern engine, modern wheels (that don't match), modern vacuum booster brakes and plastic sheathing on the wireing looms. Plus... it shows little pride of ownership. Rust is one thing but "More Rust" is just junk.

Go back to the articles in Rod & Custom and Hot Rod and you will see primer and shag carpet... but clean and simple engineering that shows pride in the construction.

Edited by Jairus

Those of you with great examples of rat rods in scale, feel free to share them.

I remember the first round of builders who got be excited about building a rat rod were folks like Jairus Watson, Dave Roehrle, Jim "Hollywood" Fernandez, Ken Hamilton, and Andy Johnson, although I don't know if any of these folks were among the first to start building rat rods. I know they've built some cool ones . . .

The very first I build was this one:

008-vi.jpg

And between, a few years have passed. I like to build one or two new ones every year just because sometimes and idea just POPs into the old noggin' and I can't help it but execute it . . .

IMG_4331-vi.jpg

Speaking of Jairus Watson, here's one of my favorite rat rods in scale of all time, a model I am happy to say Mr. Watson was generous enough to allow me to add it to my collection:

016-vi.jpg

And this model (Jairus can chime in about all the facts behind it), if I remember what he told me about it, had its debut at the GSL a few years back and according Jairus it didn't get the attention it clearly deserves. I know when I first saw it, it flipped my lid!

Edited by Dr. Cranky

I think the first I saw of it may have been 15 - 20 years ago. These are more like the primered hot rod that comes to mind.

Aside from that, in High School there were a few junkers around that would fit the description you gave. I remember a rusted out Chevette 60's on the back and side pipes. I'm not even sure the side pipes worked. lol

Yeah... .no, I don't care for the '47 Chevy posted. Number of reasons but the least of which is the lack of pride of ownership.

Back in the mid 90's Hot Rod ran the aforementioned article written by Grey Baskerville. In it the four examples were built up from vintage parts. Did you get that? Vintage parts!

The '47 Chevrolet has a modern engine, modern wheels (that don't match), modern vacuum booster brakes and plastic sheathing on the wireing looms. Plus... it shows little pride of ownership. Rust is one thing but "More Rust" is just junk.

Go back to the articles in Rod & Custom and Hot Rod and you will see primer and shag carpet... but clean and simple engineering that shows pride in the construction.

J, I would imagine most "vintage" parts are either gone or too expensive, but for us scale builders, we can go as crazy as we want, which is the beauty of it. But you are right, the real car builders have a tougher time, and I think often the spirit is to scratch-build what they don't have or can't buy cheap.

Dave, your point is well taken, given the fact that there are lots of horrible examples out there, but I think what is backing up the rat rod movement or craze is the fact that most of these folks who build them in real life can't really afford the price of either a full-out restoration, or having one built by the Brizzio's of the hot rod world.

Having said that, I think there are plenty of examples of well done rat rods that I would not mind driving and or owning. Someone told me recently at a show that right after the motorcycle craze started to die down, Hollywood types (with loads of money) started coming into the scene and buying up a lot of these rat rods just to show off in.

If anything, it's added an explosive element to model photography (and by model I mean all those tattooed ladies that appear in ever so many magazines and shows!)

Wouldn't vintage parts make it a traditional rod, not a rat? (Well I guess that's not to say you couldn't build a rat rod with vintage parts, but still...)

I think regarding the whole hot rod/street rod/traditional rod/rat rod labeling system? I think it has more to do with the owner's mindset than anything about the car. You might see an otherwise crusty tradtional rod or street rod, but its reffered to as a rat rod simply because that's how the owner defines it.

I have to admit I'm a sucker for the visuals and the temptation. I just get all riled up about wanting to build these . . . you look at stuff like this all day and where are you going to go, but run to the bench?

tumblr_kyefliiFaW1qakmcfo1_1280.jpg

You look at this next one and then you think oh REVELL London Bus potential.

tumblr_kycm7vpiiL1qakmcfo1_1280.jpg

Rat Rod, in their truest form WERE built from what was available and what one could afford. Today's so called rat rods are nothing more than purpose built show cars. What I mean by that is that I have seen some people put just as much money into their "rat rod" as someone who builds a Hot Rod. To me, that makes absolutely no sense. Why would someone spend that much time, effort, and money into something that looks like a group of kindergarten students put together is beyond me. Don't get me wrong, I love traditional rat rods. I admire the technical prowess that is involved in getting things that should have never gone together to fit like they were meant that way. But today's trendy rat rods should not be even remotely classified in with traditional.

Hot Rodding is supposed to evolve and perpetuate the "sport" of car modifications.

As was stated earlier in this thread, most of them look like they can barely move. And if they did try to move, how many parts would fall off?

I have been inspired not just by this post but by looking at rat rods and want to take a 32' Ford 5 window kit and turn it into a slammed and stretched Rat-Rod. Im also going to use it to try out some things I have learned and some new things I haven't seen people do. I think the over all look I am going to do though is going to be rusty, gunky, and rough on the exterior and then do a nice, beautifu, custom interior. Thank you for furthering the inspiration. :)

All vintage parts are gone??? :huh:

I doubt that very much. Now that I have an older rod I attend all the swap meets I can find and they are replete with tons of vintage parts including one guy with a trailer and 4 vintage engines for sale that RUN! (The best one was a straight Pontiac 8 and it sounded soooooo sweet!)

No, there are plenty of vintage parts out there and that '47 could have been built with a straight 6 or at the very least, they could have put vintage Corvette valve covers on the V8.

Speaking of valve covers. I put a vintage set of Cal Custom rocker covers on my wagon Tuesday. Much better than the "Powered by Ford" ###### that was there before. Not only do they NOT leak, but they look more vintage and stuff like this is easy to find.

P1011513q-vi.jpg

Edited by Jairus

Jairus sums it up nicely, that complete lack of pride in ownership.

i hate rat rods and what they've become. i'm not here to bash them, i just don't get why you'd intentionally build something like that, that is unsafe, ugly as all get out and has absolutely no pride in it. the rat rod trend took "hot rods" to a low that i find insulting.

My take on Rat Rods exactly. Its one thing your building on a budget So maybe your car don't have a full interior ... or she's runnin primer, or even a combo of primer and mismatched body panels ( from the same type of vehicle ) . I can even deal with a Mismatched wheel. But to purposely make your car look like Boo boo just maks no freakin sense to me

Justin Bieber? Isnt she a wanabe pop singer? Hey and any kind of Rat Rod enthusiast should be offended to be compared or even mentioned in the same sentance as Justin Bieber. Do I sense some inspiration to create my Rat Rod draging that Justin Bieber chick bhind it? Yes......Yes I think I do. This could be a Crazy8 Creation in the works...lol

Now I am new on the scene but even though I understand the pride of ownership, does pride of ownership always have to be glossy or look the same to everyone? Maybe part of the pride lies in taking what most see as a pile of junk and just getting it to run and be driveable. Maybe the pride lies in still adding customized touches. Myabe its building a huge power house of an engine all full of chrome and color and bolting onto a vintage ride. Now I may be way off here but I am also a Harley fan and also love my choppers but wouldnt considering "Rat-Rods" a new low to the hot rod community be like hard core bikers looking down on people who own crotch rockets because they are rice powered or for some other reason? Is it really come down to what TYPE of bike you own when really its not about what kind of bike you own but its about getting out on the road. Isnt that much what hot rodding is about, is a community of car enthusiasts welcoming other car enthusiests despit if its a pile of rust or not?

Like I said I am new on the scene and im not trying to step on toes, im just the guy on the outside looking in. :)