Model Cars Magazine Forum

Chunky Diamond Dust?

I've tried using this One Coat colour in the past, but it always came out chunky....textured. Is this the way it's supposed to look?? I just tried a new can, warmed it up in my dehydrator for a good half hour, sprayed, and it came out very rough again. Does this happen to anyone else, or is it just me!

Just to give ya an idea of how it lays down for me

DSCF0114.jpg

--- Mike

Edited by Evil Appetite

that's interesting, never had any of the Testors lacquer line come out textured, except the fabric colors which are supposed to

maybe the dehydrator is a bad idea?

It's actually WORSE without the dehydrator lol

Most of the ones I have used don't have that texture.

Have you tried other cans?

I have...this is the second time I've tried it, first time was last year. Just bought this can last week. Graham, my LHS owner said he's never seen that before either.

It's gotta be me...maybe the flake sticks to itself,and I just need to shake it up longer. I'll try it out later on.

Doc..You're right...it would make a really nice base for a rust job!

Edited by Evil Appetite

Just for testing purposes I would try cleaning the nozzle.

I wonder if the place you got it from has a bad batch?

Have you tried any of their other colors?

Regularly..all the others go one like they're supposed to. Smooth and shiny in one coat.

it has to be the flake sticking together. I'll shake for 2-3 minutes, and spray a few seconds before I paint that body again

I've used Diamond Dust in the past (I've used every color in the One Coat line at some point or another) and have never had it come out textured like that. Sometimes it comes out a little bumpy in spots, but it is usually minimal enough for clearing it and polishing to solve the problem.

I just wonder if the dehydrator or something in your prep is causing this.was the body cleaned?i have never had that problem with that color or it could be a bad can.maybe you can contact the manufacturer and see if they have any reports of bad paint or any suggestions.

Well reading what he said very carefully, he said or mention that he had a can last year same color do the same thing, "then" bought anew can of the same color just "last week" an had the same results like he did last year with the other can. So there is at least a year apart in the cans.

I test sprayed it on a viper project that I on the side as a side project, I used the very same color without shaking it up at all and didn't have a problem with it either.

You said you bought a can of it last year an it ended like this? Then you just bought a new can last week an yet the same issue?

yes, 2 totally different cans...maybe from the same lot but I highly doublt it, he's run out and restocked afew times during the course of that year. I did sit the body and can in the dehydrator for a good 40 minutes earlier, shook the can for 3 minutes exactly, sprayed the hood and it came out perfect. I went to do the body...it started nicely, then about 3/4 through it started chunking up again....and I shook the can really well between passes. It isnt so bad thius time though, I'll pass the snading cloth over the rough spots and re-shoot.

I painted diamond dust a couple weeks ago , it was a fresh can , it went on smooth , no chunking issues.

possibly a bad batch or bad nozzles, can you try another nozzle?

It could be the nozzle, I can replace that. I always remove my nozzles before I toss an empty can. It could be my prep..but I doubt that, after I smoothed out that rough parts I washed it really well, then put the body into the dehydrator with the can.

I gave up on it last year, but I really like the color. I'm gonna have that body painted in diamond dust if i have to use the whole darned can up on touch ups hehe