Jump to content
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Jerobee McLaren M8B


Scale-Master
 Share

Recommended Posts

The instructions make this kit look more daunting than it is turning out to be. I am almost out of parts already.

This won't bump my Seven out to be my avatar Monty.

The tubing and wires are too big, and sloppy looking. Replacement is a good idea, but as I have mentioned, this one is to see what happens if it is built out-of-the-box. (I only machined the rims to replace the damaged kit parts. Everything else is straight OOB.)

Time to attach the engine/rear suspension assembly to the tub.

I built quite a bit out of sequence and added as much of the vinyl wiring and plumbing as I could beforehand since it appears many of the mounting points for them are obscured if following the instructions to the letter.

The vinyl does a very good job of making a model look like a pre-built die-cast.

I applaud the thinking outside the box, but I wish these parts were made of styrene. Cleaning up the flash is next to impossible, and they don’t fit well. Even trying to use just the fittings and replacing the hoses & wires is not worth the effort for me on the next one. But that is part of what I wanted to find out by building it as intended…

DSC00127.jpg

DSC00128.jpg

DSC00131.jpg

DSC00132.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My recollection of the "nightmare" rumors is the fit of the body over a completed chassis with engine. I hope you have been test fitting as you have been going along.

All of your assemblies look great.

joe.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My recollection of the "nightmare" rumors is the fit of the body over a completed chassis with engine. I hope you have been test fitting as you have been going along.

All of your assemblies look great.

joe.

I agree 100% with You. Mine is still unfinished because of the final assembly. After putting the hours into building it I felt like killing the model, :angry: so I put it away for a couple of months. But seeing this one come along it makes me want to finish it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is a very important to me and I assume many others to finally determine if I should attempt this kit build. If anybody could tackle this, it would be you. If you do get all the assemblies together and have the rear hatch sit in place with a reasonably detailed engine-I'll start my build. I am counting on you Mark!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

When I was first looking through the kit I was impressed by the fact it came with all the hoses and wires. Now, reading all the comments, I believe when I do build the ones I have, I will just use them as guidelines for replacing them with more in-scale lines, wires and fittings. The last thing I want is some un-trained eye to think I bought the darn thing after sinking many, many hours into it. Will be watching this one till it's done to make sure I can glean off as much experience as you wish to impart to us drooling masses...

Keep up the great work. That body is impressive.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You are building about the best AM McLaren I've seen! I know how tough a build it is. I built 4 of them for the original Accurate Minatures company....two of which went to McLaren itself! The vinyl lines are cool and tough! I got all of them to work but never did get injector lines on.....If I did you had to leave the engine cover off. Great woork.......

My last build for AM......

MCLARENAM-vi.jpg

PS....when AM closed shop they tossed a bunch of kits as they couldn't sell them any longer.

Edited by Dave Van
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The dash is done and installed. The wheels are on and all touch the ground…, now. There are some alignment issues, but since the rear wheels and tires are so small, I think the eye will be drawn to that problem and I doubt the other issues will be all that visible.

DSC00228.jpg

DSC00230.jpg

DSC00232.jpg

DSC00233.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

With all the plumbing and wiring crammed in the engine bay, the engine cover does not (as expected) fit well. I found it is possible to attach the center section of the engine cover to the main part before installation then feed the wing supports through and mount them to the framework.

The roll bar cross brace had to be cut and raised to allow the engine cover to fit under it.

DSC00346.jpg

DSC00347.jpg

I used the kit provided seatbelts and they were not difficult to work with. While they are a bit heavy handed, I wish more kits came with something like them.

DSC00345.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I shot the wing with Alclad Chrome and then cleared it before applying the decals.

DSC09702.jpg

DSC09705.jpg

The body panels are on; it was a bit of a fight to get them even partially lined up. As you can see, it looks like sits a bit high in the rear; the look is exacerbated by the undersized wheel & tires.

DSC09691.jpg

DSC09692.jpg

DSC09693.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...