Model Cars Magazine Forum

1950 chevy custom pickup

Hello, New to the forum, been building a few trucks and figured i'd post one of them. I have many ongoing projects and not many completed as of yet but im working on it. I like all sorts of customs from mild to wild and plan to build a lot of them, but now onto my current build.

I started off with a 1/25 amt round 2 1950 3100 Chevy Pickup

I was origionaly going to lower it with leaf springs and drop axle like i am doing to a 1950 ford F1 custom. But i did'nt like the ride height and had a left over IFS a arms from a old hot rod project and the rims and rear axle from the custom F1 along with some other parts box pieces i made a frame draggin air bagged custom '50 chevy pick up. These are just mock up pics for general fitment of body to chasis, i am pretty happy with the work so far and plan to finish this project soon.

Drive train is going to consist of either a SB 383 stroker or a BB 454 both manual, rear c notch is going to be completed with some tube work and air bags with tank and pumps in the box but i have no idea on what to do with it yet.

Body is going to be smothed out, no trim, door hadles, mouldings. Fire wall and engine compartment are going to be smoothed out and not 100% sure on what color to paint it. I'm thinking a silver metalic or dark cherry red metalic, nothing to outrages just a solid color as im not to good with painting bodys yet, soon to get an air brush setup.

Interior is going to be smothed out and might throw in some buckets and a console with sub and speakers.

Here is some mock up pics, let me know what u think. I am going to keep my progress edited in my first post to keep it all together. Going to update as much as possible as i have so many projects i bounce around to and from.

Here is the frame in its early stages.

SDC10576.jpg

Here is the interior in first mock up/ design stage.

DSC01889.jpg

Here is a engine mock up, still early not sure if i want inner fenders or not?

DSC01887.jpg.

Here is a few as a whole mock up, i used a sheet of paper to simulate the tonneu cover but needs some more work b4 ill be happy with it

DSC01893.jpg

DSC01891.jpg

DSC01892.jpg

Edited by CanadianKronik

I'm working on one of these myself John, but I'm going with the straight six and a ton of detailing, kind of a low-budget hot-rod shop truck. All I've gotten done so far is the chassis, a few tiny mods to the cab, and a full wood bed. From there it's just a bunch of detailing just for fun! I'll be watching to see yours come together, maybe it'll inspire me to get moving on mine! I love the slammed look on yours, I may go that route on mine now!

Edited by Custom Mike

I love this build! I'm with dr cranky, the thing just looks bad laid out. I would just do a clean bridge setup over the axle with the bags maybe with just 2 pieces of round bar going from frame rail to frame rail but how ever you did the frame over the axle looks great. Where did you say you were going to put the air tank, compressors, and gas tank? Looking forward to seeing more of this build, keep it up.

Hello, New to the forum, been building a few trucks and figured i'd post one of them. I have many ongoing projects and not many completed as of yet but im working on it. I like all sorts of customs from mild to wild and plan to build a lot of them, but now onto my current build.

I started off with a 1/25 amt round 2 1950 3100 Chevy Pickup

I was origionaly going to lower it with leaf springs and drop axle like i am doing to a 1950 ford F1 custom. But i did'nt like the ride height and had a left over IFS a arms from a old hot rod project and the rims and rear axle from the custom F1 along with some other parts box pieces i made a frame draggin air bagged custom '50 chevy pick up. These are just mock up pics for general fitment of body to chasis, i am pretty happy with the work so far and plan to finish this project soon.

Drive train is going to consist of either a SB 383 stroker or a BB 454 both manual, rear c notch is going to be completed with some tube work and air bags with tank and pumps in the box but i have no idea on what to do with it yet.

Body is going to be smothed out, no trim, door hadles, mouldings. Fire wall and engine compartment are going to be smoothed out and not 100% sure on what color to paint it. I'm thinking a silver metalic or dark cherry red metalic, nothing to outrages just a solid color as im not to good with painting bodys yet, soon to get an air brush setup.

Interior is going to be smothed out and might throw in some buckets and a console with sub and speakers.

Here is some mock up pics, let me know what u think.

your truck is looking really cool. Keep up the good work cant wait to see it finished.

Still need to make bags and get suspension finished. I still need to find some nice air compressors and a few tanks for this build as i have nothing really useable in the parts box other than some aluminum hydro pumps and huge fuel tank from old drag car, if anyone knows were to get some nice tanks and pumps let me know.

Edited by CanadianKronik

I like the mesh idea but your right, doesn't leave you much room for everything. What if you threw the fuel tank in the front of the bed and put the tanks and compressors underneath? Might give you a little more space. I was thinking of making some compressor from some old part trees. Take a piece of rod and make that your main compressor piece, find some flat piece for the bases, and just a little square piece on top. I haven't made one yet but I don't have much money for extra parts so I think of ways to make them. Nice progress so far

• 2 months later...