Model Cars Magazine Forum

new guy with Black Magic and 76 McEwen

MoparMark

Hi guys, I'm new to this forum and I've posted my latest builds hoping I have the chops to hang with you chaps. I made the decals on both because I couldn't wait for the McEwen decals from Slixx.( I now know I would have been waiting in vain! )The Black Magic decals were quite underwhelming and didn't fit a proper body so I did'em myself

post-9426-0-11609900-1329633789_thumb.jp

post-9426-0-56913200-1329633815_thumb.jp

Edited by MoparMark

Thanks to everyone for the great responses.Some of you have asked about how I made the decals.I only used Photoshop to make these. I'm in the process of learning vector programs for future stuff. So here is what I did for the Black Magic.First I started with the best profile shot of the car then I took a profile photo and a top view of the model car, in Photoshop I put a transparent layer of the real car over the model body and got em lined up and added a measurement grid over that. That's my master photo. I then used the pencil drawing effect in Photoshop to mak a colorless "blueprint" for the decals. I made scaled prints of the profile and top views, went to Kinkos copy and made 300% enlargements.Using large black posterboard I transfered the images to the board with white chalck paper. I then used frisket paper and tape ,painted the decals with an airbrush. After that I scanned the artwork on a Epson Stylus scanner reassembled and reduced the images to fit back into the master photo. The top of the car was all freehand and french curve templates. I printed the compiled sheet on a Canon Pixma iP4500 inkjet printer using Bare Metal Foil white inkjet paper on glossy photo setting. It seems real tedious but this was the way I came up with not knowing graphics programs. I would really like these to be redone on a proper Alps printer, maybe I could work something out with Chuck Boerne, but I'm sure I missed a few steps in explaining this clearly but feel free to ask me for further clarification if ya need to.

Mark......beautiful builds......I think we have met before......did you go to the So.Cal. NNL in Chatsworth a few years back?.

Yes we have met at Chatsworth and a couple of times at the Cactus Classic in Victorville. I sure do admire your work,I'll get there someday and maybe get a first place by the year 2042. Are you going to the Ventura show this weekend?

Yes we have met at Chatsworth and a couple of times at the Cactus Classic in Victorville. I sure do admire your work,I'll get there someday and maybe get a first place by the year 2042. Are you going to the Ventura show this weekend?

Mark......no,won`t be there........I am getting ready for DSC Arizona April.

• 9 months later...