Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Tools of the Trade - Sanding Tires

7 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Here's a little tool I came up with for sanding tires. It's cheap, easy to build, and easy to use. All parts are available at your local hardware store, and include:

1/4" bolt, long enough to have a shoulder or shank around 1/2" or longer

2 nut inserts or panel nuts with 1/4" thread ( not sure of the actual name, see picture

2 beveled faucet washers (should have ~1/4" hole)

tire_sander_parts.jpg?psid=1.

Insert the panel nut into the broad end of the faucet washer. Make sure that you have selected these parts to have a reasonably snug fit. This can be verified while at the hardware store

assembly_1.jpg?psid=1

Cut the head off the 1/4" bolt and clean up the cut with a file. Thread the two washer/panel nut assemblies on the bolt with the small diameter ends of the beveled washers facing each other.

assembly_2.jpg?psid=1

You should have a long enough shank on the end to chuck up in a small electric drill. The one pictured is a little short, but still works great.

To use the tool, assemble the facing washers hand tight with a tire between them. The beveled shoulders of the faucet washers should fit a variety of common 1:25/1:24 scale tire sizes.

Fire up the drill and sand away being careful not to sand off all the tread unless that is your intent.. I use a variety of sand paper grits as well as wire brushes.

ready_to_sand.jpg?psid=1

Edited by Alyn

Posted · Report post

Great tip, this is much better than what I've used in the past. I'll need to hit the hardware store ASAP. :)

Posted · Report post

Wow..that's brilliant

I normally use flat washers ..thanks

Posted · Report post

Boy, can I use this tip, much better than the way I was doing it. Thanks!

Posted · Report post

I'm going to make one. I have some 1/4in. threaded rod I'm going to use. Just have to get some bevel washers.

Posted · Report post

That is clever. I've been mucking about on my lathe machining tire holders out of plastic rod. Your idea is so simple and easily adjustable for different sized tires. Great stuff.

Thanks for sharing.

Posted · Report post

Simply Amazing