Model Cars Magazine Forum

1955 Chevy Catamaran

I have been looking for something offbeat to do since I'm between projects. This catamaran came to mind.

I think both fuselages will need to be fabricated because taking the front fenders lines straight back would make for too-narrow a set of cockpits. I think they might have to be vacuum formed, and the headlight and taillight "clips" styled in so that I can use a kit's trim rings. Spanning the front would be a main beam that would sport the 55's egg crate grille motif somehow. Aft of the cockpits the bodywork will swell at the chrome trim to echo the rise at the read quarter windows. I'm thinking curbside right now, it seems a lot to bite off.

I think this could work with a 57 too... What you you guys think?

post-9361-0-81626700-1329819793_thumb.jppost-9361-0-77926900-1329819770_thumb.jp

Love the idea, Roger. For some reason I think it would probably work with the 66 Nova kit. Use 2 kits and you could probably get close. I also think the 57 Chevy would work too. If anybody can pull this off, it will be you. Can't wait to see how you get this one done, it promises to provide us with many weeks of pure eye candy.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A little progress... I've shaped a single fuselage out of modeling clay and shot it next to a mirror to simulate its counterpart.

Issues:

1) What to do next. Possibility #1 is to make a mould out of plaster of each fuselage half, then cast a copy to use as a shape for vacuum forming. Possibility #2 is to take that same plaster mould and lay fiberglass cloth and resin on the inside of it. At any rate, I figure great female moulds will be key to making this thing symmetrical.

2) I think I'll graft the headlight (including long horizontal strake) and tail light areas from the 2 kits I bought instead of trying to shape them out of clay.

3) I have to find out a way of working the rear fender arrow motifs into the car too. Also the rise just aft of the B-pillar. No solution yet, but for the long horizontal chrome trim on the rear fenders, I'm thinking of making that just a groove, maybe to intake air. I dunno.

4) It looks too "race-car" still. Maybe changing the shape of the cockpit surround. Again, I dunno.

Lost and searching, as usual...

post-9361-0-38176400-1332294469_thumb.jp