Model Cars Magazine Forum

Catch LONDON BUS FEVER!

Dr. Cranky

I know this is a bit premature, but perhaps this will get lots of people interested and salivatin'. The London Bus is about to arrive at the Model Round Up . . . .

http://www.modelroundup.com/category-s/42.htm

And I am thinking of turning one of these puppies into a Circus bus. But you can do it any way you want, any style, any finish as long as you build one and have fun doing it.

The price is a bit steep, but I am assuming it will be totally worth it.

No rules, but hopefully if we can build it and show it here by March of 2013, that would be fantabulous!

Go head, I dare you to catch London Bus Fever. Once you catch it, there's no cure but pure styrene addiction!

Cheers, DC

Hi there Doc,

I have one of these kits and I must say the kit is huge. I have been looking at it now for a month wondering if I have what it takes to build this beast.

Maybe we could have a three day build for the London Bus? :unsure:

I would jump in on this one when it gets started. I'll need to clear off as much of my workbench as I can as it will take every square inch of it.

Rob

Rob, a 3-day build for a kit like that would be crazy. It's a kit that deserves a bit more time. Of course, I'm not saying it can't be done, but it would be best to do it right. Lucky you who have a copy already.

I hope many will step up and build theirs. I have a few ideas . . .

If the new kit is too much (both in size and cash) how about the Airfix 1/32 scale London "Old Bill Bus"..... or is this not what you had in mind Doc? I've already built it, so I won't be joining in, but thought others may like to know if it would qualify.

Or did you intend this to be a "One kit only" build? Tony

Edited by GTMust

Rob, a 3-day build for a kit like that would be crazy. It's a kit that deserves a bit more time. Of course, I'm not saying it can't be done, but it would be best to do it right. Lucky you who have a copy already.

I hope many will step up and build theirs. I have a few ideas . . .

I really was just pulling your leg with the 3 day build idea. It would be impossible to build the bus in 3 days. I grabbed mine as soon as they hit the shelves at the LHS. They were sold out very quickly and I haven't noticed them back yet. You will be amazed when you open the box and look at the amount of plastic in there.

Well, I hope I will get my hands on at least a couple. I know I will build one of these crazy ideas keep popping into my head.

Cranky, You want a crazy idea, I would love to take two of these kits and build the 'Knight Bus' from the Harry Potter series... The Knight Bus is a purple triple decker... I'd use the leftovers to build a single-decker...

Could probably make a neat car-carrier out of one...

That would be a great use for the leftover single decker from the Knight bus build.... I will make a serious effort to aquire two of these kits by years end... The more we talk, the more I want to take on the project...

Chris, I love the idea, and you can find lots of those elements in the Doll House supply websites. You should be able to get period corrects furniture and fixtures, etc . . .

Boy, I'd love to see that happen.

Hope to have all my current projects off the bench by the time this bus rolls around.

One question on the "Knight-Bus"

Where are you planing to get the Arm Chairs, Beds, Chandeliers, etc???

Or were you just planning on making the outside Look correct??

Dan, If not dollhouse supplies, then architectural supplies or as a last resort, scratchbuilding. I can get the material for the chandeliers in the jewelry section of Hobby Lobby or Michaels and beds and armchairs wouldn't be too difficult to fabricate... Multiple big, fat armchairs could be made from resin molds taken from a scratchbuilt master. I made a pretty convincing chandelier for my nieces 1/12 dollhouse MANY years ago but it was in vain... I should have thought about what might happen when her hyperactive older brother got ahold of it... *Grrrumble...* Well, This'll give me an excuse to watch the movies again.... Research, research, research!

I know.... I just want an excuse to watch the movies again... :rolleyes:

I was informed in the thread in 'New Kit Previews' that the Knight Bus was modelled on the AEC RT Regent, not the RM Routemaster so it wouldn't be a completely accurate build anyway... Ohh well. I still like the idea...

So, How many times Have you watched the movies??

How about reading the books??

Up to 6-10 times each yet??

No, not yet... I've read the series twice, about a year in between readings. Watched the series twice before Deathly Hallows II made it to DVD and then watched the entire series in one marathon sitting... I like to read a good book or series, or watch a good movie at least twice as you always pick up something you missed in the first reading or viewing.