Model Cars Magazine Forum

The Ghost Of General Lee Build.

Shelbytona

I picked this kit up and plan on doing it box stock, the only addition will be a few details like wires and flocking. I know this kit is terrible, but i'll build it for what it is! I plan on leaving it white (just like the real one they used for this episode) so it glows in the dark. my plans are to paint the chassis primer/orange and orange under the hood, to give it the look of the body being painted white

I plan on wet sanding and possibly clearing the body as long as it doesn't affect the glowing.. i'll have to test a piece first.

This kit is very cool once you charge it under some light and turn the lights off!

f21177f2.jpg

here's a 1:1 pic of the car used.

picofweek30.jpg

Alittle trivia, the real car did glow with the certain glow paint they used, but the thing is the orange glow you all seen in the episode was all edited in orange glow effect though. The car interior is a chestnut brown color. But I know the kit I got, it didn't hardly glow at all, not even when place by or dang nearlly on a lamp for afew hours. The glow paint I used charges faster an glows way way way way better. Here is one folder of mine http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.2350046634876.252581.1361401210&type=3&l=f2a8985a78 that I am working on. the glow you see is the new glow paint I used on it. I still need to adde afew more light layers to it.

Thanks guys for all the comments! I got the motor glued together and all sanded, ready for primer and paint. I built this kit when i was like 10yrs old (the regular one molded in orange) and i remember it being terrible! haha. My plan for detailing this one to give it the look of being painted white has changed unfortunately... the body is very transparent and if i were to paint the headliner the interior colour, it would show thru on the roof.. same goes if i were to paint under the hood orange. maybe it i give it a coat of white primer first, on the backside of the body and hood it will solve this problem?

Thats some cool info! Thanks for letting me know about the interior colour. I was going to ask, because it looked to be brown or maroon in that pic. Your model looks great! do they sell that glow in the dark paint that glows orange?

f6718452.jpg

Edited by Shelbytona

If the body is thin and transparent try painting the underside of the body a flat white with a few coats like you would paint an rc car body, that should help with the headliner problem and keep the white ghost paint your going for. I am going to buy this kit and build it up similar.

Edited by CanadianKronik

If the body is thin and transparent try painting the underside of the body a flat white with a few coats like you would paint an rc car body, that should help with the headliner problem and keep the white ghost paint your going for. I am going to buy this kit and build it up similar.

Thanks for the tip, i'll try my tamiya white fine surface primer, it has good coverage, so hopefully it works! I'll go ahead with my old plans now. It's a neat kit, and mine glows bright. It seams like it's a hit and miss on getting one that glows good, so hopefully you get a good one!

Not much of an update, but i got the engine painted hemi orange tonight. I also got the holes drilled for the spark plug wires on the valve covers, chrome stripped and i put a coat of wrinkle paint on them and put them close to a lightbulb for heat, and the wrinkle looks very in scale! if you heat this paint right after spraying it, it gives it a smaller wrinkle finish.

8e28e5c3.jpg

21bf0b07.jpg

The only glow paint my Wal-Mart sells is the color you see my model sprayed in. I wish they did sell the orange glow paint also. Also, thanks for the nice comment on my model also, yours is looking good so far as well.

I remember one of my Dads paint chips from house of colour, and there was an orange glow paint.. i'm not sure if they make it anymore! Thanks, you almost have yours complete?

I remember one of my Dads paint chips from house of colour, and there was an orange glow paint.. i'm not sure if they make it anymore! Thanks, you almost have yours complete?

I'll have to check that out, thanks for the info! Your welcome also, No mine isn't complete yet, it belongs to my girlfriend. Keep watching my facebook for updates though.

small update... i wet sanded the body and polished it (removed all hold lines) and painted inside the body white. I also painted the headliner brown. painting the backside white gives the body a nicer look, not so transparent, and it seems to glow even better!

I also scribed all the panel lines, but you still couldn't really see the lines against the base styrene (the whole car looked like one piece) so i gave them a little blackwash to break it up a bit. I'm happy with how it turned out.

c4141dfd.jpg

ba92b794.jpg

4e30ad40.jpg

bc134508.jpg

As you can see i have to paint the backside of the chassis white... that's how transparent this glow in the dark styrene is!

Edited by Shelbytona