Model Cars Magazine Forum

Black vinyl interiors, which paint should I use?

I am in the process of painting the interior of a '68 Dart and I want to paint it black, currently I am not happy with the paint I have chosen, it is either too glossy or too flat and even the colors and shades in between are just not right. What paint do some of you use to better simulate this?

Thanks for your response guys. Cruz, that interior looks awesome, I love what you did with that Impala, how come I have not seen it here in the forum? I will look into that palnt.

Hey Ed, we will talk this evening at work, hopefully you will be on the same shift as I am like last month. I thought you were up north at home today?

I brush a very thin coat of future over flat paints to get the vinyl look. If you can find Model Masters Satin Black,it's about as close as you're going to get to the vinyl look.

Tamiya has several shades of black. In addition to TS-29 Semi Gloss you can use TS-6 Matt Black or TS-82 Rubber Black. Another non spray option is Model Master #4767 Aircraft Interior Black. With a black interior you can get a lot of depth by useing a lot of different shades of black.

• 2 months later...

How about regular flat black and then rub your finger on your forehead and then rub that finger on the flat black covered seat. Works for me, no joke!.

Also, if you have any acne, use the "juice" from that and smear...........let me shut up before I go any further and ruin some people's appetites..... :lol: :lol: :lol:

I use several different "shades" for a black interior. Most hard plastic and padded areas, such as padded dashes, have an eggshell kind of semigloss to them. For those I use either Humbrol 85 Coal Black or Testors Semi Gloss Black - both are avalable in enamel or acrylic. For leather or leatherette (vinyl) seats that tend to be a tad shinier, I use Tamiya acrylic X-18 Semi Gloss Black, which is a bit shinier than either the Testors or Humbrol products and provides a good contrast.

Hope that helps some!

I usually paint everything flat black, then I use Tamiya semi-gloss black for the vinyl areas. I've also tried brushed on Future over flat black with pretty good results. You'll just have to experiment to find a technique you're satisfied with say...on plastic spoons.