Model Cars Magazine Forum

buying case's of models for cheap

thats the funny thing: i would be bugged if i got one of those in the color impregnated plastic. terrible to work with and brittle and doesnt look good at all in unpainted plastic. maybe just a removeable hardtop might look right in that red flake stuff but nothing else i can think of. kind of a dumb idea that maybe could have been better allocated to, say, reissuing those can-am cars AMT had out back in the sixties. just a suggestion.

not sayin the manx is not kool, i have about 5 complete and parts kits of the original so its appeal to me personally is limited. still i will pick up at least one when it becomes convenient just to hold it.

The red plastic is a marketing gimmick. Supposedly they put one in each case, along with the regular white plastic ones, and when the kits hit the shelves there's no way to know by looking at the box if it's a regular white plastic kit or a "special" red one.

Apparently it was thought that the "special" red kits would drive overall sales of the kit because there would (theoretically) be increased demand because people would want to be one of the lucky ones who got a "special" red kit.

Turns out most people are not liking the red ones, and even trying to trade them for a "regular" white plastic kit.

Oh well... so much for clever marketing schemes. :lol:

Anyone remember the disaster known as "New Coke?" :rolleyes:

The red plastic is a marketing gimmick. Supposedly they put one in each case, along with the regular white plastic ones, and when the kits hit the shelves there's no way to know by looking at the box if it's a regular white plastic kit or a "special" red one.

Apparently it was thought that the "special" red kits would drive overall sales of the kit because there would (theoretically) be increased demand because people would want to be one of the lucky ones who got a "special" red kit.

Turns out most people are not liking the red ones, and even trying to trade them for a "regular" white plastic kit.

Oh well... so much for clever marketing schemes. :lol:

Anyone remember the disaster known as "New Coke?" :rolleyes:

The concept of a "chase kit" is a long standing Tom Lowe thing, actually. He started that early on with Playing Mantis, and his reintroducing the Johnny Lightning brand of 1/64 scale diecasts. Called "White Lightings", those chase cars had a minimum of 3 characteristics done in white or pearl white as opposed to the standard colors used in the particular release. WL's did have quite an effect: JL collectors would hound stores for the latest "program" of JL's (subjects like Willys Gassers, Classic Gold, Thunderbirds, Corvettes and the like) to catch the newest releases out on the pegs, scour through them for White Lightnings. That certainly did help drive sales of JL cars.

However, with Polar Lights plastic kits, the idea wasn't nearly as successful, and I doubt today that it has any effect to speak of with AMT kits either.

Art

The concept of a "chase kit" is a long standing Tom Lowe thing, actually. He started that early on with Playing Mantis, and his reintroducing the Johnny Lightning brand of 1/64 scale diecasts. Called "White Lightings", those chase cars had a minimum of 3 characteristics done in white or pearl white as opposed to the standard colors used in the particular release. WL's did have quite an effect: JL collectors would hound stores for the latest "program" of JL's (subjects like Willys Gassers, Classic Gold, Thunderbirds, Corvettes and the like) to catch the newest releases out on the pegs, scour through them for White Lightnings. That certainly did help drive sales of JL cars.

However, with Polar Lights plastic kits, the idea wasn't nearly as successful, and I doubt today that it has any effect to speak of with AMT kits either.

Art

Time will tell how well this idea pans out.

I know that there are people who are definitely not amused when they open the box and see all that sparkly "My Little Pony" plastic... but I think that overall, the buzz that this creates (both positive and negative) will probably work in their favor in the long run. Like that old saying, "I don't care what sort of publicity I get, just make sure you spell my name right!"

well just one more comment from me for now: if i got the "chase" kit it would probably promote sales...as in i would have to buy another copy and hope to gawd that i didnt "get lucky" again! :lol:

alright, just one more comment (yeah sure betcha): ole boy tye just posted one he finished on another forum, chrome silver paint as an undercoat to the clear red version and it looks like a million bucks. so maybe i might have to change my view on that part...as long as you want red. or purple.

well just one more comment from me for now: if i got the "chase" kit it would probably promote sales...as in i would have to buy another copy and hope to gawd that i didnt "get lucky" again! :lol:

alright, just one more comment (yeah sure betcha): ole boy tye just posted one he finished on another forum, chrome silver paint as an undercoat to the clear red version and it looks like a million bucks. so maybe i might have to change my view on that part...as long as you want red. or purple.

Where is it, I would love to see it!

edit: Nevermind, I found it over in the "New Kit Reviews" section.

Edited by Ben

The concept of a "chase kit" is a long standing Tom Lowe thing, actually.  He started that early on with Playing Mantis, and his reintroducing the Johnny Lightning brand of 1/64 scale diecasts.  Called "White Lightings", those chase cars had a minimum of 3 characteristics done in white or pearl white as opposed to the standard colors used in the particular release.  WL's did have quite an effect:  JL collectors would hound stores for the latest "program" of JL's (subjects like Willys Gassers, Classic Gold, Thunderbirds, Corvettes and the like) to catch the newest releases out on the pegs, scour through them for White Lightnings.  That certainly did help drive sales of JL cars.

Art

I don't know about the PL plastic kit statement Art. While the clear bodied Cuda's & Charger's might not be popular, the RED tinted clear ones are hard to find, and desirable.Models_110049-vi.jpgAnyone have a red Charger they want to part with?BTW: I had wondered about using silver behind the transparent plastic too. I'd love to see how it came out. When I do get a Manx kit, I'd prefer white, but would like to know I have options.

The PL kits had a little hole on the bottom of the box so you could see what you were getting. They also did a run of their NASCARs in Petty Blue.

I found it interesting at the time that many hobby shop owners didn't have a clue what was going on. So consequently I got all of them. :rolleyes: