Model Cars Magazine Forum

Monogram '64 GTO

BOSWELL891

I picked up the newest release of this kit for the revell/gearz contest so I figured I would do a review for everyone on here. The body is very nice hardly any mold lines and no flash, the kit comes with optional parts like a supercharger different hood, and drag slicks so it can be built like a 70's and 80's pro street or it can be built factory stock (which is what i plan on doing). I definitely think the decal sheet could be better it doesn't come with much, all the parts look very good and clean. The motor can be supercharged or have the optional tri-power, there is two different sets of wheels stock, and custom, two hoods the stock one with two fake scoops, and one for the blower to come up through, the front and back glass is all one piece, the chassis is pretty simple, it comes with dual exhaust, all the chrome looks really nice. All in all this kit looks like a pretty good one and pretty easy to build.

whats in the box:

DSCN4352.jpg

the decals: could have been better

DSCN4353.jpg

the body: sorry for the bad picture

DSCN4354.jpg

optional hoods:

DSCN4355.jpg

chrome tree:

DSCN4358.jpg

chassis and motor trees:

DSCN4356.jpg

Edited by BOSWELL891

The "neon" graphic decals and 12-hole wheels could stand to be changed/updated, but the kit is still typical of Monogram 1/24 musclecar kits- lower parts count with some sub assemblies molded as one part, but it still builds into a nice looking replica of the real car.

What color are you painting it, Cole?

I'm not sure if you're allowed to do this as part of the Revell contest, but it would be a subtle yet different mod to remove the B-pillar and make the model a hardtop, like so:

64_00123_1.jpg

At any rate, have fun building the kit and thank for taking and posting pics of the kit's contents. It's a great reference for others considering buying the same kit.

I just finished my build for the same contest. Same model and same color (Marimba Red). Built it "stock", but added the usual stuff that would be under the hood. Guess I'd have to enter it in the unlimited catagory if I really decide to enter it. Got a little time for that yet. Good luck with your build and in the contest!

I just finished my build for the same contest. Same model and same color (Marimba Red). Built it "stock", but added the usual stuff that would be under the hood. Guess I'd have to enter it in the unlimited catagory if I really decide to enter it. Got a little time for that yet. Good luck with your build and in the contest!

If you don't mind me asking where did you get your paint and good luck to you in the contest too I'll be entering mine in the youth unlimited class

I'm not sure if you're allowed to do this as part of the Revell contest, but it would be a subtle yet different mod to remove the B-pillar and make the model a hardtop, like so:

64_00123_1.jpg

I don't know how the current reissue's instruction manual reads, but the older version's (I have the SSP release from the early 90's) instructions has a blurb about doing just that (removing the "B" pillar) before the first step, to turn it into the hardtop. But you also have to file/sand off the side window trim.

Edited by niteowl7710

I have an original issue from the Kay-Bee toy store 3 car kit and it shows removing all of the

trim neccessary to change from Sedan to hardtop.

I swapped out the interior for one of the re-issue that first included those decals.

It too was molded in white though it shows a Blue built with those odd graphics in place.

I like that Turquiouse one. I would like to know where to find the Tempest/Le Mans hubcaps that the original AMT kit had

I have a few of the Polar Lights 64 and they have the same GTO rim. Almost the same size too Too close to 1/24 scale or 16 inch diameter for a 1/25 scale build. It should have 14's standard, as I don't think 15's were used that often on Full size car back then.

I have built this one as well. My onlyproblem was the rear quarters pinching so that they pulled the chassis deeper into the body. Some cardboard folded accordion style and placed beneath the trunk and the chassis solved that. I changed out the wheels but used the decals. Sue me, I liked them. :D

000_0096.jpg

Edited by Jantrix

Sue me, I liked them.

Rob, you'll be hearing from my lawyers. I think those decals are way beyond ugly.

In any event, I think this is my favorite GTO. I really like the looks of mid-sixties Pontiacs. I don't build a lot of American cars but do have a strong desire to build one of these.

haha... yeah decals in kits lately are a joke at best... its a shame really... only other thing i see in the parts is the rear end and exhaust attached... part of the fun of these kits is painting and assembly and they keep taking the assembly part away

They didn't take anything away from you, this is a 25+ year old tool, and for better or worse molding the rear suspension with the exhaust is just how things were done back then. A majority of these 60ish part 1:24 Monogram tools from the 80's "suffer" from the same type of design.

If you don't mind me asking where did you get your paint and good luck to you in the contest too I'll be entering mine in the youth unlimited class

The paint I used is Dupli-Color Automotive Paint from an auto parts store. Just make sure you do multiple light coats like with any paint. This paint will look pinkish, if you still go with red, with the first 1 or 2 coats until you build up the paint. I have about 5 or 6 light coats and the paint turned out pretty good, and then 2 coats of clear.

I'm having trouble with getting the back of the chassis to sit where its suppose to, it wants to sit too low and show way to much of the exhaust and frame.

Cole- are the frame rails parallel to the rocker panels on the body? Are the "glass" and interior tub properly positioned? You can use a piece of masking tape to hold the glass to the body, and another pice to hold the rear edge of the interior tub to the body when you mock it up.

• 9 months later...

Just a great kit, one of the foundations of Monogram's re-emergence as a force in the hobby starting in the early '80s.

I did the cover article in Muscle Car Review magazine (August '07) on the Car & Driver magazine GTO v. GTO road test '64 GTO, probably the most significant Pontiac on the planet, and this kit is spot on for every element of a replica of that specific car.

Just a great kit, one of the foundations of Monogram's re-emergence as a force in the hobby starting in the early '80s.

I did the cover article in Muscle Car Review magazine (August '07) on the Car & Driver magazine GTO v. GTO road test '64 GTO, probably the most significant Pontiac on the planet, and this kit is spot on for every element of a replica of that specific car.

I just watched American Muscle Cars - Speed Channel show - on Netflix. Season 1, episode 1, is the 1964 GTO. Awesome car and the start of big cubes in light cars. The show talks about the GTO v GTO challenge - nobody with a Ferrari would show, but the magazine said the Pontiac would beat it on every aspect!

The model is great, too.

It's kind of sad to think the Pontiac name is dead - they were such a force through the early 60s.

Edited by Erik Smith

Yep. GM killed it long before it stopped breathing, unfortunately.

We'll be doiing a coffee table book on the C/D GTO in 2013, the pics are just stunning and this will tell the whole history of the car at a point near its 50th birthday. Till then, check out www.GeeToTiger.com, Jim Wangers' website. Jim has been the standard bearer for the Pontiac hobby for decades, and was the original owner of the C/D GTO...

• 2 months later...

In the reviewers comments at the end of the review, he takes Revell/Monogram to task for not including redline tires.

The first car to have redline tires was the 67 GTO. They were introduced there, and exclusive to GTO for 67. Only available on the car or GTO replacements only at Pontiac dealers.

A 64 GTO would have come from the factory with 7.75 x 14 bias ply tires bw or narrow ww.

New cars did not receive radial tires until the late 70s or early 80s.

What this kit really needs is a decent set of headers..