AMT Amtronic

33 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Going through my stash I came up with an AMT Amtronic. I remember buying it to build and hang from the ceiling with some other space junk and aircraft that hang there. Has anyone ever built this thing? There's a twin jet engine pack that powers the rear half and a single jet engine for the front. They both have transmissions and look very realistic. I snatched them out of the kit. Once built I don't think you can see them and mine is going to hang from the ceiling anyway. Tomorrow I will post a picture or two. The engines are small enough to look awesome as an alternate powerplant for a car. Similar to the Chrysler Turbine car. Was just curious if any of you guys ever saw this. Ken

Posted · Report post

I built the Millennium Edition issue a few years back- I remember lots of slightly warped parts. Didn't have any significant issues that I recall regarding the assembly. the working features were pretty cool, and it was an unusual subject, to say the least.

Posted · Report post

Until the "millennium issue " came about , I had no idea A M T even did this contraption . Yes , it's definitely a piece of art if there ever was .............. Ed Shaver

Posted · Report post

car_photo_221137_7.jpg

:P:D:rolleyes::D

Posted · Report post

Futuristic Multi-Duty Vehicle.........so does that mean it's cross between a SUV and a Dust Buster?

:D

Posted · Report post

Aren't they reissuing this soon?

Posted · Report post

This thing is proof that as bad as modern cars look, it could have been worse.

Posted · Report post

Yep, that's the one. Was going to take some photos this morning but had a hard time getting out of bed. One week out of surgery and your supposed to feel better, Not today. Last night I stripped all the chrome off of the engine parts and sprayed them gloss black in prep for Alclad. Here are the pictures. Ken

DSCF1156.jpg

DSCF1152.jpg

DSCF1154.jpg

DSCF1155.jpg

Posted · Report post

I love John Payne's work. He's come up with some really good ships.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Our model club had a build an Amtronic contest and somebody discovered you could waterproof it and make a fishbowl complete with a goldfish swimming around in it. This kit has been joked about allot.

Edited by 935k3

Posted · Report post

Aren't they reissuing this soon?

Rumor has it it'll have the original background too.

Posted · Report post

That Starship model was very kwell Ed Shaver

Posted (edited) · Report post

Rumor has it it'll have the original background too.

I just recieved the re-issue from Tower Hobbies....looks very much like the original issue, same size box and background

amtronic_big-vi.jpg

Edited by Ghostmech

Posted · Report post

That goofy thing was supposed to FLY?!

Posted · Report post

That goofy thing was supposed to FLY?!

Nope. Hover. Like a Hovercraft. On the exhaust gases from the turbines.

Posted · Report post

One might be reminded of Ed Roths Rotar or the similar levitation machine from George Barris and the feud between the dueling aircars. I am assuming this AMT celebration of space dorkism is from the same time period?

Posted · Report post

Nope. Hover. Like a Hovercraft. On the exhaust gases from the turbines.

Which is odd, because it appears to have a turbine engine, wheels and tires, axle shafts connecting the engine to the wheels, yet is shown flying/hovering on the original box art. Maybe it both hovers and is wheel driven?

Posted · Report post

Maybe with some 'Stardust' decals and a little creativity it could be done as a funnycar of the future

Posted · Report post

Which is odd, because it appears to have a turbine engine, wheels and tires, axle shafts connecting the engine to the wheels, yet is shown flying/hovering on the original box art. Maybe it both hovers and is wheel driven?

That's the very idea. It only goes into hover mode, when it is on the specially built track with the guide rails, where it reaches speeds of 300+ mph. In this mode, the wheels are retracted.

Posted · Report post

Another idea could be to use the back half for a futuristic camping trailer.

Posted · Report post

What's inside???? No one has reviewed the reissue. The 90's reissue was missing stuff and the display. I love this kit and have a rare 1969 version in dark blue plastic.