Model Cars Magazine Forum

Info about 1/20 rims

Hmmm, it looks like the tires (and maybe the wheels) in the reissued version were not the same as the originals: http://www.showrods.com/gallery_pages/popcorn_wagon5.html

Wheels were the same, tires were not. The front tires were plastic, probably tooled up because the originals couldn't be located. I don't think any of the MPC kits had all four Cragar mags the same width. So if you want all four to be the same, you must either track down two sets of wheels, or get one wheel and do some resin casting.

Just as an aside, the 22-inch wheels in some of the modern SUV kits like the Escalades and Hummer H2 fit 1/20th tires very nicely and give you some modern options for 1/20th scale kits.

The only issue is those wheels tend to have high positive offsets, so they tend to look out of place on any older vehicles.

I think the Lindberg 1/20 scale kits of the early to mid '90s had some optional wheels and tires, but opinions vary as to how well executed those are. I have some of the early S-10 wheels and Goodyear Gatorback tires if you can use them, Darrin. I also have a nice looking 5-slot wheel which I suspect originated in the MPC 1/20 Mid Ford Van kit:

IMG_9424.jpg

IMG_9426.jpg

And these Hurst wheels are close to 1/20 scale, too:

IMG_9333.jpg

There's just not much out there for 1/20 scale.

Edited by Casey