Model Cars Magazine Forum

2012 lowrider tour!

wgflatliner

Cant wait to see your paint work Mark,could you please show a step by step on how you go about it.

You just keep building these Lowriders and that's great! Impala is going to be killer build also when finished. B)

You have inspired me-it's time to start looking for a basis for Lowrider build. :D

Yeah im really enjoying building Lowrider's lately thats for sure.Hopefully the 65 Impala turns out ok.

Glad ive inspired you Niko, hope to see you join in on this c.b and look foward to seeing what subject you choose.

Edited by Cool Hand

I would be happy to once I get the hinge material.

Cool.

Hinge material 1/32 brass rod and 1/16th aluminium tube.

Another wonderful one in the works, Luke. Thanks for the inspiration.

Thanks Virgil.

Im waiting and hoping you and Mark will inspire me to step out my comfort zone and try to do some patterns on a build.

Only thing is il have to do it with spray cans as I dont have a quality airbrush,but was hoping you guys could show your techniques of laying down tape and show the process of multi colour layered patterned paint jobs.

I know il be limited by using spray cans,but im willing to try.

And thanks James, I always try to present my builds as clearly I can.

Yeah another new subject and more than likely will post up a couple more before I finish one.lol

I need to get a few builds going and painted because winter is not far away over here in Aus.

Luke, you can do simple two-tone masking and maybe even masked flames with rattle can, but anything in terms of layered graphics is going to be pretty difficult. My advice is to practice on scrap sheets of cardboard or styrene just to see if maybe you can use some cool fogging and fading effects, etc . . .

Luke, here's an example of a body I painted a couple of years ago (and which I might still finish for this thread) using a similar masking process, but I used the AB and HOK paints which dry lightning fast.

IMG_0002-vi.jpg

IMG_0003-vi.jpg

I believe this kind of paint job CAN in fact be done with rattle cans to achieve some cool fogging and fading, but you have to make sure your paint doesn't creep under the tape and that you remove the tape before the paint dries.

Wow,Virgil thats some very impressive paint work.Thanks for the inspiration.

Would love to see you finish the 65 Impala and Starliner. You are with out a doubt convincing me I need to invest in a quality airbrush and some HOK paints for sure.

Edited by Cool Hand

Mark thanks for the inspiration those paintjob's are awesome.Really like the 61 Impala.

Its good to know that patterns can be done with spray cans.

Il get the 65 Chevelle and 65 Impala completed then il attempt a paint job with panels and stripes/line's.

Yeah Virgil you and Mark have convinced me,il start looking around for dual action airbrush.

Edited by Cool Hand

Try a dog leg bend instead of the hoop.

Or if there is more room for the hoop/dog leg do a regular style opening.

It will look cool to have your build with opening doors,but to me if your planning on doing an elaborate paint job it would make things easier with the door closed imo.

Edited by Cool Hand