Model Cars Magazine Forum

Let's see your geegaws!

Over in the "Show us your glue bombs" thread it turns out I utterly mistook a quick glance at an MPC logo and thought it said IMC since I was more dazzled by the car I had just gotten. Haven't seen the actual pieces, but in some old version of the MPC GT40 Mk IV, they included a storage cabinet, water cans, oil drum & oil cans, a fire extinguisher, bucket, air compressor on a two-wheel tank, and an entire clear plastic-wall two-axle transport trailer.

2045104699_MPCGT40geegaws.jpg.b3e29b7ccfac08acdd08c7c82cf633e8.jpg

• 1 month later...
On 1/31/2021 at 11:15 PM, Russell C said:

...Haven't seen the actual pieces, but in some old version of the MPC GT40 Mk IV, they included a storage cabinet, water cans, oil drum & oil cans, a fire extinguisher, bucket, air compressor on a two-wheel tank, and an entire clear plastic-wall two-axle transport trailer.

MPC also did that clear trailer as a stand-alone kit, the "Super Trailer."  Back in the 1990's or so, AMT-ERTL released it as the "Display Case Trailer."  All the neat accessories like the compressor, chrome oil/fuel cans etc. are still in it. I just checked one in the stash.  These go pretty cheap on eBay, if you're looking for one.

trlr-1.jpg

trlr-2.jpg

On 3/6/2021 at 11:05 AM, Mike999 said:

MPC also did that clear trailer as a stand-alone kit, the "Super Trailer."  Back in the 1990's or so, AMT-ERTL released it as the "Display Case Trailer."  All the neat accessories like the compressor, chrome oil/fuel cans etc. are still in it. I just checked one in the stash.  These go pretty cheap on eBay, if you're looking for one.

It was reissued in 2019, too, but the accessories aren't all that great, IMHO.

Edited by Casey

On 3/6/2021 at 4:23 PM, Casey said:

It was reissued in 2019, too, but the accessories aren't all that great, IMHO.

Thanks, I forgot all about that re-issue! 

Some of the accessories aren't that great, especially those square, LEGO-looking jerry cans.  But most 1/25-24 scale jerry cans over the years have looked like that, for some weird reason, whether they came from AMT, Revell or whoever.  

Shapeways has some much better 1/24 U.S. jerry cans.  Also 1/24 scale British "flimsy" fuel cans, for those who want to build an AMT '41 Ford Woody as a British military vehicle in North Africa.

jerries.jpg

I never noticed until now vintage jerry cans have three handles, not two:

jerrycans.jpg.efd6f094cfb7e3cc4a34ffc26f94770b.jpg

I think all the kit-supplied jerry cans I've seen have two, but maybe others had only two handles?

The Revell Midnight Cowboy kit included two two-handles jerry cans and a floor jack, too:

RevH1383MidnightCowboy4-vi.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

A cool little part I just found.

I'm working on a 70's-style street machine/day 2 muscle car and I just found this period-perfect 8-track player in my parts stash.  It's just over 1/4 inch wide (that's a #11 blade it's resting on).

I'd like to know what kit(s) might have included this part if anyone out there has any ideas; I might have a couple more of these I don't know about.  

DSCN2234.JPG

3 hours ago, pack rat said:

A cool little part I just found.

I'm working on a 70's-style street machine/day 2 muscle car and I just found this period-perfect 8-track player in my parts stash.  It's just over 1/4 inch wide (that's a #11 blade it's resting on).

I'd like to know what kit(s) might have included this part if anyone out there has any ideas; I might have a couple more of these I don't know about.  

DSCN2234.JPG

That is so cool!

2 hours ago, Rob Hall said:

Isn't it usually 'gewgaws'?  First time I noticed the spelling difference in this thread....

gyou-gawe. Gewgaw. 
You’re correct. Tschotzke probably too much to ask. 
Hear Here. I’ve said my piece in peace. Not buck naked, nor butt naked. Lol. 

16 hours ago, Lunajammer said:

To be honest, if I'd known this thread was going to be this long-lived and thorough, I'd have considered a more thoughtful, descriptive and searchable heading.

Actually, you pretty much nailed it as is. One only needs to enter the term "geegaws" in the Google search method and this topic is first result, every time.

On 4/11/2021 at 3:51 PM, Lunajammer said:

To be honest, if I'd known this thread was going to be this long-lived and thorough, I'd have considered a more thoughtful, descriptive and searchable heading.

I labelled my geegaw draw on my new organizer rack after this thread 😂

05E8F78D-E2D5-4454-A38E-345FD703D4E1.jpeg

19 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

I saw!  But you will need a lot more space than that!

You’re not wrong...

I decided to label by category (gewgaws, engines, lights, whatever) then underneath that a more specific description (Geegaws - stuffed animals, lights - red colored etc. etc.) and then alphabetize the drawers...it’s gonna take a while tho! 😂

6 minutes ago, CabDriver said:

You’re not wrong...

I decided to label by category (gewgaws, engines, lights, whatever) then underneath that a more specific description (Geegaws - stuffed animals, lights - red colored etc. etc.) and then alphabetize the drawers...it’s gonna take a while tho! 😂

The voice of experience! I have two units like yours. Categories that started out as “Engine Parts”, expanded to drawers for individual parts like valve covers, oil pans, etc... then it went further to chrome valve covers and painted valve covers!  And those drawers are full!

Past that, categories graduated to small boxes.. then shoe boxes! For instance “Seats” became a shoe box that later got split into two shoe boxes... “Benches” and “Buckets”... and the beat goes on!

Edited by Tom Geiger

• 4 weeks later...

I didn't know where else to put this and since it is PE I didn't think really think it fit here, but here it is. Found this at the bottom of a box. Had to zoom the camera in to read it and was pleasantly surprised! Why? I don't know.

Later-

20210516_171624.jpg

• 6 months later...

I must have some stuff from the pit crew in this highjacker van kit. The pistons with connecting rods, the wrench, hacksaw, screwdriver, rocker valves, crankshaft, I swear there was a camshaft I think it fell off and is at the bottom of the box along with the fishing rod. Even found what looks to be an cutting torch with regulator gages but no tanks. Strangely no Jerry cans. This model needs at least 1 given the dinky gas tank it has. For the life of me ,I can't imagine what the range hood or pile of wood is for.20211213_194054.thumb.jpg.ea08b3b904e3c1f2ec581cb2d107eb1e.jpg20211213_193617.thumb.jpg.78e6ca87706320e42bd30716cda53c5c.jpg

Edited by Mike C.