Model Cars Magazine Forum

IWATA Prices

I own 6 AB's now and have tried a good friends Iwatas for an extended time as well and can honestly say , the new Badger Krome is a STEAL for the price !..

it's the smoothest action ,accessory packed,(2 complete needle sets,tips,regulators + a quick disconnect adapter)) AB I have ever used .and they are guaranteed for life !.. just send it in for any reason and they will fix or replace it for the life of the AB.

you might have to pay a few bucks for damaged parts at the most.(and the postage to the factory).

and .. replacement needles are $12. Teflon seal replacement and re-tuning the AB is standard and always free of charge

Iwata is great no doubt and have quite a following... but they can't touch Badger in warranty or parts cost, and Badgers customer service is second to none.

not to take away from Iwata by any stretch , it's a great airbrush .and to some almost a status symbol (nothing wrong with that)...but it's worth mentioning... there are some kick butt alternatives as well

http://www.ak-interactive-usa.com/product-airbrush.html

Andy, I've never really worked with the Badger, but I think it's an excellent airbrush. So much of the right AB has to do with the feel of it in the individual's hands. It's what you feel good with, that simple.

I started with the Paasche and I've always liked it. But the Iwata has been really useful to me at the bench.

I use to swear by my Badger 175 Crescendo until I bought an Eclipse. The Badger has been parked since I got the Eclipse. It's just a great airbrush. I use a Badger 155 Anthem for bigger parts because has a very wide but still well atomized spray pattern when opened up all the way. Allot of people are allways saying how great the Paaasche H is, well when use start using Iawatas you realize how dirty spraying single actions like the H are. It's not the dual action it's the internal mix. Intenal mix will always atomize the paint better. I have seen the Badger Krome and it looks to be a very nice airbrush, I would like to try one.

Edited by 935k3

Andy, I've never really worked with the Badger, but I think it's an excellent airbrush. So much of the right AB has to do with the feel of it in the individual's hands. It's what you feel good with, that simple.

I started with the Paasche and I've always liked it. But the Iwata has been really useful to me at the bench.

so true , no matter how good the AB is you still have to drive it . there are guys that do amazing work with the chinese knock offs

Iwata is good stuff .

Fatkidd is going to be bringing several airbrushes to next Saturday's FAST meeting so I can check them out. I plan to purchase a double action unit but am torn between a Paasche VLS and an Iwata. More confusing is the choice between gravity and siphon feed. Too many choices and too many decisions to be made.

Jim, the siphon feed is good because you can hold on to the bottle (lots of AB artist give that reason for liking them) and steady your hand. Personally I like gravity because I don't have the bottle in my way. It's a matter of what will feel good for you. My recommendation too after you get it, is to live with the AB for a couple of weeks. Carry it around in your hand, get a feel for it. Also, practice using cheap paint or India ink to get a feel for air pressure and distance from the subject, etc . . . very exciting. Keep us posted.

I personally love my Badger Crescendo, it's been with me for a long time. I will eventually buy an Eclipse, just by looking at those things I already know I will like them. I mostly use my Badger to paint parts and even though I have also used it to paint bodies, since I always wetsand and polish them it really never concerns me how the paint will lay down.

One thing is for sure, if you are going into this hobby and staying for a long time, an airbrush is a must, they are so versatile and essential in so many ways. For those who think they are hard to use, stop it..... they are very easy, you just have to commit. ;)

In my case, I have a Paasche H series I got as a gift about 25 years ago, a Testors Aztek 470 I acquired about 12 years ago (I need to send it off for servicing) and a Neo CN by Iwata gravity feed brush I acquired last year. I had a chance to try out the Neo and actually, for the price it isn't a bad brush (I use all three brushes with an Iwata Smartjet compressor, which helps them ALL to spray well). Sure I've heard things about it being not really an Iwata because it is the "cheap" Iwata made in China, but you give it a little TLC, keep it clean and back off the trigger spring pressure a bit, it seems to spray like a Revolution and I can do freehand airbrush stuff with it that I couldn't do with my Aztek (mainly because the Aztek is too light and doesn't dampen my hand motions like a heavier metal brush can). The Paasche H I pull out when I need to do high flow stuff, such as clear coats. I may use the H series for spraying Mr. Surfacer as well since the finer tips on my Aztek and Iwata get clogged to hell by Mr. Surfacer and I haven't invested in any larger oriface tips or needles for my Neo yet.

I've not used any of these to spray car body colors as Tamiya spray cans still do the job better than I can airbrush (WHEN I can find the colors I need that is).

What needle do you recommend for overall 1/25 scale body painting with an Iwata Eclipse? I have one with the standard needle that is great for small parts but needs a wider spray for larger areas.

Anybody? I have the HP-BCS. The needle and seat appear to be 0.5mm based on the iwata-medea website listing for the standard piece. The manual indicates only one other needle size, 0.35mm which is too small for me. Is a larger one available?