Model Cars Magazine Forum

WIP Offroad Go Kart

91blaze

I recently came into possession of a go kart so I thought it would be fun to make a model of it. This is my first time making anything like this so any help and tips would be greatly appreciated. So far I'm almost done with the main frame which I'm making from brass rod that is 1" on 1:25 scale. I know it will be tough to make certain parts like the tires and engine. If you guys could help give me ideas, it would make it much easier on me. On to the pictures:

1:1 Go Kart:

Image0780.jpg

Frame so far:

Image0810.jpg

Image0815.jpg

Image0817.jpg

The frame is nearly completed and next I will be working on the suspension and sheetmetal parts of the go kart.

If anyone has ideas on the wheels and engine, let me know please.

Thanks for the suggestions. I want to build the engine from scratch so if you know someone who has done so before, please let me know.

An off-road go kart? I didn't know they were ever allowed on the road, on ANY road?

There are go karts that are used for racing on tracks then there are ones like mine that are capable of driving offroad and through rough terrain.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey youre doing a good job so far, is that chassis a bit fragile? Looks like your building it with glue, Id like to make a suggestion if youre gonna build it from brass try soldering it together with silver solder, its not hard to learn and it will make that chassis your building solid as a rock. On the other hand if you must use glue try building it out of styrene. Its alot easier to work with. B)

Right now, I think I'll stick with the epoxy I'm using as it seems to be fairly strong.When I start the sandrail project I'l try using solder, but this frame is already nearly finished so I'm not going to worry about it. Thanks for the tip though.

Can I solder the frame while its glued together or would I have to take it apart? Also, is silver soldering just like regular soldering, cause I've soldered electronics before.

Edited by 91blaze

Can I solder the frame while its glued together or would I have to take it apart? Also, is silver soldering just like regular soldering, cause I've soldered electronics before.

You'll probably have to take the glue off cause its gonna burn , and the soldering part is pretty simple , its alot like eletrical soldering. Make sure you have flux to flow into the joints then put some solder on your hot iron and touch it to the joint the solder should flow into the joint and make a solid connection for you. It'll take a few trys but you'll get the hang of it. Check out my Promod build (the link is in my signature) and you'll see the brass chassis I built. Have fun with you new project. B)

• 4 weeks later...

Alright, I got a cheapo Radio Shack 40 watt iron, the solder you showed me, and a "Helping Hands" stand, which has really helped. The only flux I could find was rosin paste, which is probably not the right type, but I bought it anyways. The solder just wants to stay on the iron, but I managed to slowly get a few joints made. I'm taking a break to work on another project, but I will update when I can. Here's a few pictures:

The "Helping Hands":

100_0468.jpg

Not pretty, but it works:

100_0470.jpg

100_0469.jpg

• 2 weeks later...