Model Cars Magazine Forum

Metalizer for body?

I've used it as well as both the buffing and nonbuffing aluminum varieties and they are outstanding. They will cover in one coat and will stick to bare plastic. The sealer for metalizer is a good product to use on top of it if you are planning to leave it as bare metal.

Edited by Chillyb1

You definitely can. I am planning on using some of the metalizers for a future build. The only thing to watch for is the delicate nature of the MM metalizers. They will pull off of the plastic kind of easy - especially if you are going to do any masking. You could also try Alclad II if you could find the shade that would match the stainless steel MM - Alclad paints are a little less likely to pull off the plastic, but they are still a little more "fragile" than oridinary paints.

When you do your build, post up some picks!

I assume I dont have to let MM Metalizer gas out. Is there a length of time i need to wait before i apply clear?

Thanks!

Are you using an airbrush or shooting straight from the can? Airbrushed, the stuff is dry as it is going to get about a second after it hits the surface. The cans shoot more paint and, therefore, it can take a couple minutes to dry. Either way, you don't have to wait any significant period of time before clearing or sealing it.

Post up some photos of your result when you get the chance.

john teresi built a (i think it is) 62 t bird with an all bare metal finish. dont recall if it was metalizer or alclad but it turned out pretty awesome. also do not know if it was ever featured in a thread here since i saw it in person a couple years in a row at NNL West

a search of the workbench might turn something up.