Model Cars Magazine Forum

PRIMER 101

Lately, more than a few folks have been asking about primers, so I decided to put this little video together in hopes of getting a discussion started on all things PRIMERS.

Primer is important as a foundation between the raw styrene and your paint job.

Again, this is not necessarily a HOW-TO, but more of a discussion on whatever primers you have in your arsenal.

I used quite a few different ones here in the Lab-RAT-ory.

Enjoy and please help keep the discussion focused, clean, and friend. THANK YOU.

Another great video Doc. Plasticote is the best sanding primer there is. You can get the gray at all Tractor Supply stores. Make sure you ar not buying the enamel primer. I use the Alclad Grey primer for all of my smaller parts, it's very fine.

I use duplicolor primers, I also use walmart cheap primer as well too, I use the cheap stuff for when I am doing body to check and see how my work is coming so I dont waste the good stuff.

I want to try plastikote primers, but there is not a place that sells it that is close by

Different primers for different needs. I always keep a can of cheap, thin primer when I want to lay a foundation coat without the risk of blurring detail. Others, as mentioned, for color (black, medium, white), fill, surfacing, etc. I'm also fond of thinning Bondo glazing putty thinned with lacquer thinner for a heavy brush-on primer (for spot surfacing) that bridges the gap between body putty and sprays.

I used to always use Plasticote , then everyone around here quit carrying it. Then also with the Tamiya fiasco, I was in a bind. I luckily had stocked up on Tamiya and just about out of it when I found it recently at HobbyTown again. I can't find the Plasticote anywhere. Tractor Supply inother areas carries it, but not locally. Even tried to get them to order it and they say they can't. I just haven't been able to get comfortable with Duplicolor and won't risk a paint job anymore with the walmart stuff under the paints I use. I have some quarts of some autobody primer, but prefer the ease of the rattle cans vs. getting the airbrush setup just for primer.

Mr. Cruz, I've only used this brand of primer once and I really liked the results. So you use it under the enamel paints? Or do you tint it with enamel to get other colors?

I have used it with all sorts of paints without any issues. I do not tint them, it's just your basic gray primer.

• 3 months later...

I've done a forum search but found no definitive answer so far...

On bare plastic needing bondo work, should I primer before or after bondo-ing?

Bob

In my experience it can be both. I usually put filler onto the bare plastic (scuffed up a little with rough sandpaper), sand it down, hit it with primer, then fix any errors that show up with more filler and prime again. Repeat as needed. The filler I am specifically using these days is the cheap red Bondo brand glazing putty that can be bought in many retail places. Hope this helps :)

Very helpful thread. All the posts are useful but barely one builder mentioned Tamiya. I've used Fine Tamiya Primer under paint can and it's worked good I guess. Does anybody else have used it? Rate it :) I give it a 5 star rating