Model Cars Magazine Forum

Moebius Models Great Dane reefer update

Dave Metzner

I know Juan Pablo Montoya (your jet-dryer killed my racecar, prepare to die) had a LoneStar pulling his trailer this year.

All of the Roush Fenway Racing teams use Lonestars , ECR (the Juan that hit a jet dryer teams) use lonestars, and I think thats it, there might be a few more teams, but I would have to look it up

sp1.jpg

sp17.jpg

sp99c.jpg

sp16.jpg

sp6.jpg

I too just got this kit. THANK YOU Moebius Models and Dave Metzner for this kit. Seeing how I've been a semi trailer mechanic for going on 22 years (already! geeeeze time goes by quick) I can say there are alot of accurate details.

There are two main flaws w/ the under carriage. First the crossmembers should be i-beams. Second. Look at the floor assembly if you have kit this already... On the lower rails (sides) you'll see sets of 4 rivets. Each crossmember should be centered in between these rivets. Why? On the ends of the crossmembers are plates that are about 6" long and 4" high 1/8" thick welded on. These four rivets go thru those plates attaching the ends of the crossmember to the rails. So basically call that "curbside" Speaking of rivets... There aren't any on the sides but that's no big deal.

The brake drum details are dead on! It is really cool that they've got the holes in them for the lugs nut studs! Why? You can use these drums for templates to drill out the holes in rims for lugs. I'VE ALREADY DONE THIS!!! If you get a resin BUDD rim just use that drum to drill out your holes then paint your rims. Go get some scale bolts and paint them black an you have clean lug nut detail!

If you want to relocate the bogie or slider. You'll have to drill two holes in the floor for the air mounting tabs. I've had the mis fortune of replacing many, many 1:1 Vantraax slider frames and I can say the air tank mounts to the bogie frame. You can use some angle /c-channel styrene to make the mounts. From what I saw the tank may have to be shortened for clearance to make these mounts.

I saw someone comment how there wasn't any lock pins or release linkage. Use some solid round stock to make your pins. As far as the handle goes that can be easy. The option for an air release is availiable. Basically there is a push pull knob/valve that is bolted to a small plate that's welded on the roadside front corner of the bogie. If the trailer brakes are released ( red octagon push/pull valve on the tractors dash is pushed in the valve that releases the pins will not work. Obvious reasons. (You wouldn't believe how many service calls I went on becasue the driver couldn't get the pins to release for the simple fact he and a few shes only set the brakes on the tractor and left the trailer brakes released) When the brakes on the trailer are set. The valve will work allowing the driver to release the pins to slide the bogie as needed. On my model I intend on making all the linkage for it up inside the bogie. Not just make pins.

Another thing about the suspension. The bogie frame can easily be modified by using whats called a frame stretcher (HA No I'm just kiddin' there) You can cut the frame and then section in as needed to get the desired spread you want. Beit 8' 9' 10'. Use some strip styrene and cover the holes in the slider rails and you're set!!!

This kit reinds me alot of AMT's Fruehauf dump trailer. Built box stock you can have a fairly accurate model. But If you're already aquainted w/ 1:1 trailers you'll have a blast adding the rest of the details or making it to your likes!!! If you're not aquainted there's a WWW just full of ideas that will help!

Something else handy about this kit are the rims. Because they have the hub/lug covers on them they can be used on a tractor if you choose to put other rims on this.

As far as the doors I was really hoping that the lock rods and hinges would have been seperate but no big deal. I've made hinged doors before which I'll post a pic of so no big deal.

I litterally could go on and on to how well this kit can be detailed!

3893926901_8aba0ff5a7_b.jpg

Wow. Duff goes to all that trouble, with the photos and everything, and some o' you guys either ignore it outright or give him that same ancient, tired attack-his-MODELER-credentials scat.

i know what you mean it went from an honest review to a battleground of who knows more about what kinda disappointing because i was waiting for someone to review this particular model and when someone finally did it somehow turned into a war

Great review. Remember the Great Dane nameplates on the top front corners are blue for reefers and red for dry vans. Hope to see pics of everyones builds soon. Oh and for the Great Dane "P" series trailers (formally Pines Trailers) the namplates are green.

Great review. Remember the Great Dane nameplates on the top front corners are blue for reefers and red for dry vans. Hope to see pics of everyones builds soon. Oh and for the Great Dane "P" series trailers (formally Pines Trailers) the namplates are green.

Good info, Leo. I didn't know that.

Out of curiosity, do these tires work with older big rig kit wheels, or are these a "modern" size which didn't or rarely existed before?

I haven't tried them on other kit wheels but they fit my 1/25 resin wheels like a glove!!! It's like they were made for them!

I got one, Model building is about doing it YOUR way! Too bad I got it days before I deployed. The more tractors They make, Well, The more trailers we need! We wanted it, they delivered!! Thanks Dave and Moebius!!!!!! Looking forward to an IH Emeryville! ;-))

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...

hello all, hope you don't mind me asking a couple of questions about the real trailers.

(btw I just bought the Moebius Prostar, and what a kit! I really can't wait to get stuck into it!)

Just wondering with the length (53ft), why do they only have 2 axles? how much weight can they carry?

In Australia we are limited to certain trailer lengths, mainly 44ft, and the majority of those trailers have 3 axles.

just wondering as i'm now planning on getting one of these trailers to stick behind the prostar.

thanks

hello all, hope you don't mind me asking a couple of questions about the real trailers.

(btw I just bought the Moebius Prostar, and what a kit! I really can't wait to get stuck into it!)

Just wondering with the length (53ft), why do they only have 2 axles? how much weight can they carry?

In Australia we are limited to certain trailer lengths, mainly 44ft, and the majority of those trailers have 3 axles.

just wondering as i'm now planning on getting one of these trailers to stick behind the prostar.

thanks

Depending on how the reefer is equipped - multiple zones/cooling units vs. single zone cooling unit (meaning you can separate the trailer by insulated bulkheads and operate it at separate temperatures vs. there being a uniform temperature for the entire trailer) you can put somewhere between 40,000 and 45,500lbs worth of cargo into it. Part of the equation also is how heavy the tractor is, as the entire vehicle's gross weight can't exceed 80,000lbs.

The multiple zone trailers haul less cargo weight due to the additional weight of the internal cooling units and insulated bulkheads.

Oh and for the Great Dane "P" series trailers (formally Pines Trailers) the namplates are green.

Saw one of those once, and so far it's the only one I've ever seen with the green nameplates. It was so unusual to me that I snapped a pic, thinking it was something done to the trailer by the owner. Learn something new all the time. :D

greatdane_zps7867f83c.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Actually Chuck, you have probably seen more than that one and just not realized it. Almost all of Walmart's older dry goods trailers are Pines Great Danes. They are easily recognized by having three marker lights in the body of the van, near the area of the DOT tape in the trailer you pictured. I pull at least two or three of those a week on average depending on how many dry grocery loads I haul.

• 1 month later...

Actually Chuck, you have probably seen more than that one and just not realized it. Almost all of Walmart's older dry goods trailers are Pines Great Danes. They are easily recognized by having three marker lights in the body of the van, near the area of the DOT tape in the trailer you pictured. I pull at least two or three of those a week on average depending on how many dry grocery loads I haul.

You might be right on- I do have to confess I've never really paid that much attention to Walmart's rigs, having worked for Meijer and all. :D

Since I actually started watching out for them, though, I've noticed quite a few more of them- I've even spotted the one in the photo a few more times since.