Model Cars Magazine Forum

Moebius Models Great Dane reefer update

Dave Metzner

Here are some shots of the bottom of the Great Dane.

The mudflaps have the great Dane logos as raised detail

It will be possible to build the trailer without the Reefer unit and fuel tank

031-M.jpg

033-M.jpg

034-M.jpg

032-M.jpg

Thanks,

Dave

I'm impressed w/ the suspension. Only one detail you left out! At the rear of the suspension there are the two pedelstools. This is an option called a Sure Lock Dock System added to trailers that automatically dump the air ride when the parking brakes are set. On there is a smaller air chamber I believe it's a type 15 air chamber 15 sq. in. plunium inside the chamber. That is connected to a piece of flat stock welded to the bar those pedelstools are attched to via a clevis and a seperate spring hooks into that flat stock link age to the mount that chamber is bolted to. And that mount bolts to the slider frame. Basically the same as a brake chamber does to a slack adjuster. That chamber has a single air line that's plumbed into the leveling valve. When there is supply air present in the leveling valve it actuates that chamber kicking those pedelstools towards the rear of the trailer when the air ride is inflated. When a driver sets the brakes on his/her trailer on some trailers the air ride will deflate when the brakes are set. When this happens that chamber looses air pressure and a spring inside that chamber no longer held back by air pressure will engage those pedestools and they rest on the ends of the air ride trailing arms. This allows the trailer to remain at ride height otherwise when the trailer's in a door (dock) the floor of the trailer won't be level w/ the dock.

If you can't correct this no big deal. Some Evergreen Scale angle, flat stock, c-channel, and a few bits and pieces from the parts box can take care of it.

Oh man, wait till you guys see the suspension!!!!!!!!!! This will be the first time an accurate, detailed trailer air ride has been made for an American trailer kit! It just keeps getting better!!!!!!!

This is the air ride the kits' suspension is based off of. I took these pics when I replaced an air ride bogie at work for reference to scratch build one. THANK YOU MOEBIUS FOR SPARING ME THE HEADACHE OF HAVING TO DO SO!!!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9495602@N02/sets/72157613787358657/

Edited by Semi Trailer Mechanic

I'm impressed w/ the suspension. Only one detail you left out! At the rear of the suspension there are the two pedelstools. This is an option called a Sure Lock Dock System added to trailers that automatically dump the air ride when the parking brakes are set. On there is a smaller air chamber I believe it's a type 15 air chamber 15 sq. in. plunium inside the chamber. That is connected to a piece of flat stock welded to the bar those pedelstools are attched to via a clevis and a seperate spring hooks into that flat stock link age to the mount that chamber is bolted to. And that mount bolts to the slider frame. Basically the same as a brake chamber does to a slack adjuster. That chamber has a single air line that's plumbed into the leveling valve. When there is supply air present in the leveling valve it actuates that chamber kicking those pedelstools towards the rear of the trailer when the air ride is inflated. When a driver sets the brakes on his/her trailer on some trailers the air ride will deflate when the brakes are set. When this happens that chamber looses air pressure and a spring inside that chamber no longer held back by air pressure will engage those pedestools and they rest on the ends of the air ride trailing arms. This allows the trailer to remain at ride height otherwise when the trailer's in a door (dock) the floor of the trailer won't be level w/ the dock.

If you can't correct this no big deal. Some Evergreen Scale angle, flat stock, c-channel, and a few bits and pieces from the parts box can take care of it.

I see the support arms you mentioned, Scott. I was wondering what those were! Never seen that before. The suspension in the pics you posted is exactly the same as Clint Freeman's standard height trailer air ride.

What pieces are missing from the system? I'm sure it would be simple to make a little resin "kit" to finish it.

I see the support arms you mentioned, Scott. I was wondering what those were! Never seen that before. The suspension in the pics you posted is exactly the same as Clint Freeman's standard height trailer air ride.

What pieces are missing from the system? I'm sure it would be simple to make a little resin "kit" to finish it.

Ben

If I still worked for Swift I could get you pics but I don't. Now I'm at JB Hunt most of the trailers I see have Meritor air rides that are completely different than the Hendrickson that this upcoming kit has in it.

The rear suspension does include Surelok it does not have all the actuator linkage detail which is pretty small but the locking pedestals themselves which are pretty prominent are included..

That was the first thing I looked to see was how much detail was put into this. Don't get me wrong I'm in no way discrediting whats been done just wanted to point that out in the event that could be incorperated. But like I mentioned no big deal those details can be taken care of w/ donor parts and scratchbuilding.

The rear suspension does include Surelok it does not have all the actuator linkage detail which is pretty small but the locking pedestals themselves which are pretty prominent are included..

Wow, talk about minutia! Dave, I don't want to appear to be a rivet counter, but will there be rivet detail on the front bulkhead?

BTW, does the suspension clearance between the van body bottom and the tires appear accurate? The gap appears excessive to me.

Edited by chuckyr

Wow, talk about minutia! Dave, I don't want to appear to be a rivet counter, but will there be rivet detail on the front bulkhead?

BTW, does the suspension clearance between the van body bottom and the tires appear accurate? The gap appears excessive to me.

Please dont start nit picking this trailer apart