Model Cars Magazine Forum

Moebius Models Great Dane reefer update

Dave Metzner

You guys seen this trailer fully built and decorated on Tim's trucks site? It's a looker! I could imagine one with the sides all finished with baremetal foil... It sure looks good without joints down the sides and roof. Tons of customs are going to be built off this kit. 3 axles, 3 axles with lift axle, no reefer unit, spread axles with tool boxes, custom painted ones, trains, stainless sides, you name it. Now if I could just get myself to build a tractor to put in front of one!

where's it at on Tims site? I can't find it anywhere! I want to see it all decked out, and when it comes out I WILL be covering it fully in bare metal foil the high polished chrome and creating a spread axle and "airing out" the bags to put it behind a custom kw or Lonestar....and one built fully stock with 2 hole budds behind an fld condo , flb conversion or a prostar decked out in Crete Carrier Corporation livery.

We'll see, as for release date, I was looking on Tower Hobbies yesterday and it said June release date for both the prostar and the trailer....retail is going to be 44.99 on the trailer and 59.99 on the prostar.

Chad

You are right Chris, it is a missed opportunity. I think it was a case of using what they had as well as the so called "bling factor" that makes it look pretty with the 10 holes.

No missed opportunity. It was stated in an earlier Great Dane update that the the wheels from the Lonestar would be used on the reefer for cost reasons. There are excellent resin steel wheels available from a number of aftermarket suppliers for reasonable prices.

I guess I am confused as to why the wheels are such a big issue? We all have different taste in models that is what makes this hobby fun. If we all liked the same things it would be very boring. I guess what I am trying to say it comes with chrome wheels so if they are not what you like then ok get some two hole steel wheels like stated above from a caster. I am sure Ben Wicker or Jamie could help anyone with these requests. I just would hate for Moebieus to quit trying to put these great models out for us model truckers becuase they simply just cannot please anyone! Thanks and sorry if I offended anyone.

I was lucky enough to be trusted with a test shot of the Moebius Great Dane 53' trailer but I had to build it so it could be displayed at NNL East. I received it a mere two days before my local show so I decided to give it whirl to see if I could get it built in time for that. So for two and a half days, I did nothing but work on the trailer. It was finished in time but with no decals it looked pretty plain. I knew what I'd been planning on doing with it from the day the kit was announced so I got that done well before NNL East.

DSCF3787-vi.jpg

On the table at NNL East.

DSCF4138-vi.jpg

Back home in my garage.

DSCF4139-vi.jpg

DSCF4140-vi.jpg

DSCF4141-vi.jpg

I'm sure you all can guess where I got the decals from. ;)

A great big Thank You to all of the gang at Moebius for letting me have one - Art Anderson, Dave Metzner and Frank Winspur.

I guess the manufacturers put chrome wheels on for better saleability. But the 2 hole buds would look preety cool on this kit.

So no, they can't please everyone, just trying for the majority, which I think they're going to reach, again... We can always get our own custom parts.

Edited by BigBad

The choice of wheels for this kit was just a simple case of economics for us - the 10 hole wheels are done - the tooling is paid for, so in an effort to control costs on the trailer kit we elected to use the existing wheels -

We're also using those wheels on the ProStar, for the same reason..

Perhaps we'll be able to add a different wheel to our kits at some point in the future. Since we're new to the big truck segment of the hobby we've tried to be a little conservative with our tooling budgets.

Once Pro Star and Great Dane are out on store shelves we'll have a better feel for how we can budget for tooling costs etc. going forward and I hope that we'll be able to add some variety to future kits like different wheels.

Thanks for your support.

Dave

The choice of wheels for this kit was just a simple case of economics for us - the 10 hole wheels are done - the tooling is paid for, so in an effort to control costs on the trailer kit we elected to use the existing wheels -

We're also using those wheels on the ProStar, for the same reason..

Perhaps we'll be able to add a different wheel to our kits at some point in the future. Since we're new to the big truck segment of the hobby we've tried to be a little conservative with our tooling budgets.

Once Pro Star and Great Dane are out on store shelves we'll have a better feel for how we can budget for tooling costs etc. going forward and I hope that we'll be able to add some variety to future kits like different wheels.

Thanks for your support.

Dave

Mr Dave,

When I first saw the pictures of the test shots you have build, I said to my self that this kit will become a best seller.

I am fully respect yours and your colleagues work, working on new truck subjects and ofcourse I am respect all the money that moebius is putting on. I wish all the best.

Early today I was thinking about how to ask for a new subject and I have to say that your post make it easy for me. As I strongly believe that all moebius truck models will succeed, I was thinking if it is early enough for the next trailer. What about a modern 53FT container trailer (intermodal, sea can, you name it)??? I believe that this kind of trailer should be an interesting subject for most of the truck modellers and since there is not any US container trailer availiable exept the italeri's 40ft European trailer, I believe that this could also be a best seller. Most important is that, as far as I can understant by my zero knowlegde about molds, it woudn't be difficult or complecated to create a 53FT contaner trailer. How this sounds to you???

I still want to dream for new Peterbilt kits, like 386 & 389......

Wish you all the best,

Kostas.

With Quebec plates! Alright! I tought the truck was pretty neat when you first built it, but with the decked out trailer, it's an awesome rig!

Looks great without the reefer unit too! Good thing Moebius didn't overlook this detail. That Lonestar looks like a natural for this paint scheme, doesn't it?

Dang straight it's got Quebec plates. Not only does the LoneStar have Quebec plates but it has mudflaps from my local dealer (InterEstrie) and it's fleet number shows it running out of Montreal. BM10 - Broker (Port of) Montreal (truck) 10.

Thank you all for the kind words!

saw it in person, that things a monster!

It ought to be as the trailer alone measures 26 inches.

That is 1 sweet trailer ! Many issues with putting it together ?

Chris

No issues putting it together. A nice quick and easy build.

John,

The trailer came out really nice - I reallly like the CN decals and the LoneStar makes a great looking rig!

Thanks for posting the photos!

Dave

Thanks Dave!

I didn't know you were into "bling" Bob. And by the way, what's wrong with a "white day cab with a single exhaust, painted black frame and tanks and white wheels"? To realistic for you I guess...

I'm thinking of building a Prostar in that exact configuration to tow the Great Dane. :rolleyes:

Well, I MIGHT hang onto the aluminum wheels. B)