Model Cars Magazine Forum

After chopping a car, what about the glass!?

• 1 month later...

Hum, okay. I'm thinking in doing a 1955 Chevy cameo pick up. The front windshield has curves on em

That is a toughie to cut. I might suggest wrapping masking tape around it to protect the windshield. measure your cab after ALL bodywork is done, measure and mark your top cut, use a razor saw and slowly cut 3/4 down to the line....then use a sanding stick to finish. If your lucky width will not be an issue...if width is an issue due to your cutting, you can try to bend some acetate..I can't..mayby you can. With a flatter window, clear acetate works great. As a matter of fact, I used acetate for the front window on this chopped '37...but I used the "stock" window, uncut in the rear....I planned that before I cut the body..

IMG_2054.jpg

IMG_1974-1.jpg

Edited by MikeMc

The wraparound rear glass on the Cameo cab will probably be a real bear to chop and fit, because the outer molding is molded-in....I'd almost recommend gluing it in place before the chop, and cutting a smaller rectangle(or oval!)-shaped window into it afterwards.

Edited by VW Dave

One of the guys here chopped a Chevy, maybe 57, with quite curved glass. Instead of messing with the windshield, he left it stock and modified the bottom of the cowl to fit. When that was done, he trimmed the windshield. Glass has always been a nemisis of chopping, but the modifications on the cowl were not noticeable. The big thing to me was, you can always screw around with white plastic and bondo, but a clear windshield is not forgiveing!