Model Cars Magazine Forum

Built myself a Paint Booth

Well i decided it was time for a paint booth, I really wanted a pace booth but i was on a budget and figured i could build one cheaper. Keep in mind i'm no wood worker but i think it turned out good and will serve it's purpose just fine. It seems to draw air in good even with the peg board floor, Won't know till the first spray. If it doesn't i can make the lower chamber smaller or try a floor with larger holes. It is 16" deep and 25" wide, I put 3 switches on it. 1 for the blower,1 for the light and 1 for the outlet. i have 1 25" wide single flourecent light up top. All thats left to do is make my board for the window for the exhaust. I ended up having $165 in it including a brandnew dayton cage blower from grainger that is 273 cfm and about 8 hours in time.

82ac31d7.jpg

578d51f0.jpg

fef8d558.jpg

da3f71bf.jpg

f784e861.jpg

Great job! And the best thing? You saved a boatload of money on something I am sure will work as well as a 500 dollar unit. Looks like you had some fun building that thing, I sure had fun building mine and it didn't come out as nice as yours!

Sure hope you didn't use silicone caulk in there. Just the fumes from silicone caulk is enough to cause fisheye.

Really? I have seen lots of people do that, I would think once it's dry there shouldn't be any fumes. Not even sure if that was silicone caulk, will have to check when I get home. If i do have a problem with fisheye's I will know why.

A bunch of us helped put up a spray booth for a friend that owns a body shop - Ethics Auto Body out near Sycamore, IL. Got it all up and a construction friend decided to seal it all up real good by caulking all the joints. LT, the owner, couldn't figure out why the fisheye in everyone of his paint jobs. After some checking with paint reps, the culprit was discovered - silicone caulk. We spent more time digging out that stuff then we did putting up the booth. We completed by caulking all over with latex based caulk.

A bunch of us helped put up a spray booth for a friend that owns a body shop - Ethics Auto Body out near Sycamore, IL. Got it all up and a construction friend decided to seal it all up real good by caulking all the joints. LT, the owner, couldn't figure out why the fisheye in everyone of his paint jobs. After some checking with paint reps, the culprit was discovered - silicone caulk. We spent more time digging out that stuff then we did putting up the booth. We completed by caulking all over with latex based caulk.

Was this a 1/1 spray booth? I don't think you will have those issues with a scale or smaller type booth... :blink: Would you? :blink:

Anything special needed on the fan, like explosion proof or anything else? I want to build one also.

Looks like they are set up in the house. No fume problems in other rooms?

Dave, if you use a fan like Daryl and myself did you will be fine. Mine is setup in my hobby/computer room at the back of the house, I made a board for the window with a dryer vent. I just tested it using model masters enamel out of a can and it works great no fumes at all, Very happy with it. Thx. for checking it out guys.

Dave here is the Part No. for the fan i used. dayton 1TDR3 , i picked it up from graingers. If you decide to do it and need any help or more pictures or measurements feel free to Pm me.

Joe

Edited by Prostreet

What's the average price to build a booth? I'm looking at buying the Artograph 1530, but the price is killing me. I know building one would save me money but how much?

I have a $165 in my booth, bought everything new except the plywood i allready had. If your looking to buy one and not build i would get one of the Pace booths.