Model Cars Magazine Forum

Testors/Fujimi Ferrrari Dino 246GT-April 28, 2012 Final Update!

simonr

This time I'll be doing this classic and historic car that Enzo did to honor his only and late son, and the only one didn't wear the Ferrari badge. The kit I'll be using is a Fujimi Kit that Testors re-boxed in the late 80's with 200+ parts. As an interesting addition, I 'll be using also the awesome detailing kit from Model Factory Hiro with around 125+ more parts. As always, Hiro standars bring us a quality multimedia kit with lots of parts in white metal, vacuuformed glass, turned parts, an exquisite photo-etch set, etc. To add for a little push, parts from Hobby Design and Top Studio will also in this build....So, let's start...

Here's the great Model Factory Hiro Super Detaling kit with lots and lots of parts.

DSC_0065.jpg

close view:

DSC_0068.jpg

DSC_0073-1.jpg

CSC_0078.jpg

Some more aftermarket help:

DSC_0064-1.jpg

Edited by simonr

I'll be starting with the nice casted white metal valve covers. The one at the left had already received the dremel's wire brush treatment:

DSC_0084.jpg

The other parts will do the combo for the clinder heads:

DSC_0085.jpg

DSC_0090.jpg

Something its has been already polished and glued:

DSC_0093.jpg

Now is the turn for the transmission...5 parts will do the completed part:

DSC_0098.jpg

DSC_0103.jpg

All the components of the engine..cilinder heads, transmission, engine block, distributor, weber carburators.

DSC_0106.jpg

The exhaust headers also made of with metal, the ones at the right were already polished, the ones in the left still waiting:

DSC_0107-1.jpg

Some more parts like the air cleaner, oil filter, engine mounts, starter, rear axles are already cleaned and mounted for painting. Here we can see all the parts together:

DSC_0114.jpg

Some parts already painted with some different kinds of metalizers paints:

DSC_0119-2.jpg

Edited by simonr

As an interesting add-on, the rust dust on the thinner can will also be added to the party..nothing looks more real like the real thing:

DSC_0120-1.jpg

Finally everything painted and glued together:

DSC_0121.jpg

DSC_0123-1.jpg

This is something will enhance the engine but, will give me a little of hard time of work. For the spark plugs boots I will place a .6mm stainless steel tube inside another .9mm one. The stainless steel tubing is so hard that any knive or cutter can do the job. I used a diamond dust disc with my Dremel and it could be done...

DSC_0128-1.jpg

After some hours, the tubing is cutted off and ready. At the top we can see the spark boot sample and at its right the boot I will use fot the distributor caps.

DSC_0130-2.jpg

All the parts together and ready to be painted:

DSC_0135.jpg

Here more components for the suspension, exhaust system, chassis, gas tanks, etc.

DSC_0140.jpg

Everything inside the dehydrator already painted:

DSC_0142-1.jpg

The engine over the chassis...remember what I told you about the real look or real rust dust?...

DSC_0147-2.jpg

DSC_0152.jpg

Edited by simonr

• 2 weeks later...

Here I started to take advantage of the great Model Factory Hiro detailing kit, I started shaving the radio buttons and placing the radio photo-etch face. I save the buttons and glued them over. Some of the switches algo gone to replaced latter with the photo etches ones:

CSC_0173.jpg

How it looks after being completed:

CSC_0187.jpg

The turn signal, hi-low beam and wiper selectors also suffered a transformation. I shaved the knobs and used pins as the rod:

CSC_0177.jpg

CSC_0179.jpg

Completed:

CSC_0193.jpg

I used the white metal steering wheel plus the photo etch wheel center for the combo. The base of the steering wheel its the plastic part:

CSC_0197.jpg

For the seats head rest, I also shaved the plastic rod and again used a pin for the metal part:

DSC_0166-1.jpg

Some tape was wraped over the emargency lever in order to get a more real leather look:

CSC_0181.jpg

A good amount of parts ready to be painted:

DSC_0182-1.jpg

Edited by simonr

Dash already painted plus the steering wheel assembly. I used a product named Dr Toffano Synthaglass Vetero Syntetico that I got from Italy Ebay. This product is used to make plastic glass and gives you a cleaner glass look than white glue or other products around in my opinion. The only problem was that I had to wait wo months to arrive here to Puerto Rico!:

DSC_0186.jpg

DSC_0191.jpg

DSC_0199.jpg

The interior tub after completed:

DSC_0199.jpg

DSC_0264-1.jpg

DSC_0268-1.jpg

DSC_0269.jpg

DSC_0272-3.jpg

DSC_0276-1.jpg

Edited by simonr

Yes, you are correct, Piero was the other, actually a half brother of Dino.

That is actually incorrect, his other son still even works in Ferrari management.

Edited by simonr

Well, I read that this kit is designed to be used with the "early" Dino, wich I think is the 246GT. The later type could be the GTS, which is the Fujimi cabrio. As I see until now, they basically the same, just the diference beetwen the coupe and the cabrio version.

Simón P. Rivera Torres

Great work and quite inspirational. Do you think Hiro's set would work on the Dino GTS as well?

joe.

Well, I read that this kit is designed to be used with the "early" Dino, wich I think is the 246GT. The later type could be the GTS, which is the Fujimi cabrio. As I see until now, they basically the same, just the diference beetwen the coupe and the cabrio version.

Simón P. Rivera Torres

Correct, they GTB came in early and latter and the GTS only in GTS. But the set can be used for all three, just some parts need to be or discarted. but most is the same.

@Simon; Nice work so far, what color are you going to use?

Thanks Erik for you support information...I will paint it Yellow.

Simón P.Rivera Torres

Correct, they GTB came in early and latter and the GTS only in GTS. But the set can be used for all three, just some parts need to be or discarted. but most is the same.

Edited by simonr

Erik, are you shure about this?...I don't find in the internet anything on the Dino "GTB"', I found Ferrari 365GTB, 208GTB, and 308GTB, but, no Dino 246GTB. Let us know.

Simón P. Rivera Torres