Model Cars Magazine Forum

How2 Extractors

mopar68

Here I will show you how to scratchbuild an extractor. Use this tutorial as a guide only- you can choose your own size/shape/whatever. The same techniques can be used to create all sorts of types of extractors/headers. It's a lot easier than it looks and a whole lotta fun so don't be afraid to try it! Just experiment and have fun :)

This extractor isn't a replica of any particular 1:1, it's just based off the many I've seen in magazines/on the net/other peoples' builds etc...

Rito enough talk, let's get building-

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here are all the materials/tools I used to make this extractor-

0.5mm styrene sheet

1.6mm styrene rod

3.2mm styrene rod

hobby knife; No. 11 blade

pinvise; 1mm, 1.5mm bits

sanding stick

dremel grinding bit

lighter

styrene cement

rubber band

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First of all, and the most important thing, is to plan how you are going to make you extractor. What size does the flange/pipes need to be? Is it going to clear chassis rails/steering boxes/whatever else? A little planning ahead will save alot of headaches in the long run. Test fitting is also very important- check the fit of every piece you make as the part comes together.

Alright, let's really get building :P

Using the 0.5mm sheet, we need to cut the flange out. If you have the kit header handy, you might be able to use it to get the correct size. Next is to drill 1.5mm holes where you want the pipes coming out (not a bad idea to use your 1mm bit to drill pilot holes first). This will make things alot easier rather than just gluing the pipes straight to the flange.

02052011093.jpg

Okay, pipes. to make a bend in rod, I use a lighter. I know some people can bend rod without heat, but I just can't. Well not without breaking it anyway :lol: . The trick here is to use just enough heat to be able to bend the rod easily; just a second right above the flame is enough for rod this small. Too much heat and it will begin to pit, or of course catch fire. Also, allow plenty of room from the end of the rod where you make your bend. If you make it too close, the tip of the rod will expand and it won't look so pretty. Neither will it fit in the holes in the flange-

02052011103.jpg

First bend-

02052011094.jpg

Also a good idea to mark where you want your bends before you bend them. And remember to test fit.

02052011098.jpg

02052011099.jpg

Now cut the excess, but make sure you leave plenty of length.

02052011100.jpg

Continue using this same method to make the rest of the pipes. Oh don't forget to test fit them as you go :P .

02052011101.jpg

02052011102.jpg

02052011107.jpg

As you can see, there is a fair bit of excess rod sticking through the other side of the flange, this will be trimmed away a little later.

02052011110.jpg

So now you will have something a little like-

02052011113.jpg

Put the pipes in one last time, grab your rubber band and add a touch of glue.

02052011114.jpg

While that's drying, get your 3.2mm rod and your pinvise. We're going to make the tip (collector I think they call it). I drilled a 1mm pilot hole in the end, then used my 1.5mm bit to open it up. Hobby knife was carefully used to open it further. You probably can't tell from the picture, but I also sanded the end of the rod into a somewhat cone shape.

02052011118.jpg

Desired length was then cut off, and cleaned up a little with the sanding stick.

02052011121.jpg

Make sure you give the glue plenty of time to dry. When it is, take the rubber band off and mark out where you want the pipes to collect into the tip. This is where you will cut them.

02052011123.jpg

Clean the cut up a little, then sand the ends of the pipes down a little, into a little bit of a point. The pic will explain-

02052011125.jpg

Now glue your tip on. Starting to look like an extractor now.

02052011131.jpg

Edited by mopar68

Time to grab that Dremel bit. You can shape the flange however you want, I chose to keep it simple.

02052011133.jpg

02052011134.jpg

Finish it off by cutting off that excess 1.6mm rod sticking out the back of the flange and finishing with the sanding stick. Depending how cleanly everything went together, the transition from pipes to the tip might only need a quick sand. Otherwise, just use a little putty.

02052011138.jpg

And there you go, a custom extractor. Now you just have to make the other side :lol:

Well I hope this has helped a bit, feel free to post up any questions, corrections, or comments. Hate mail can be PM'd :P

B)

03052011144.jpg

WOw Zak, when you said EXTRACTORS, I was thinkin of the vents that were on the upper front fenders of Trans Am pontiacs! Over here, we call those pipes headers. Never ever heard of 'em called anything but. But hey, I guess your right, caz that's CERTAINLY what they do! THANKS for the tute, it's GREAT! :lol::D;)

Thanks again guys.

Yea true Rob, I'm still working on that part :lol:

Here's a set of not-quite-yet finished turbo headers, almost mirrored :)

DSCF6894.jpg

Over here, we call those pipes headers.

Thanks George, they're often known as either name down here. 'Extractors' sounds a bit tougher I guess :P

Zac, ALL the guys here,from Oz can do INCREDIBLE stuff with plastic. I've often wondered if there IS somethin in the water!!! Maybe livein in paradise helps. Our Brother Stump(Greg Armour) certainly lives there, caz I've see pictures!!!!!! seems like ALL you guys got "mad skills" ,to coin a phrase. :lol::D:);)

• 2 weeks later...

Wow thanks everyone, I'm honoured to get so many great comments from you all ^_^

Thanks for posting this! I just used your technique on my 69 Nova project and it worked great.

That's great Billy, I'm glad it was useful for you :) Feel free to post some pics here ;)