Model Cars Magazine Forum

V8 Supercars in the USA

Hi Guys. Some of you may already know that 2013 will see the first ever full round of the V8 Supercars held in the US. Austin TX will be the lucky destination, so I guess everything is now REALLY bigger in Texas. So hang on Guys for some REAL racing like we've been enjoying over here for years.http://www.v8supercars.com.au/newsarticle/everythings-bigger-in-texas!/tabid/70/newsid/11406/default.aspx

I've seen the series on Speed a few times. Wish Holden's were sold here. Not talking about the Pontiac GTO or G8. I want a sedan with a V8 and the Commodore SS V-Series Redline fits the bill.

The Pontiac G8 GT is with the exception of some trim pieces is virtually indentical to the Commodore SS V and the redline edition even borrows some parts from the US only GXP package. There are several online sources available to get the Holden style trim pieces for those who want to cruise their American G8's Aussie style. You can even buy the HSV parts and body kits. I have a G8 GT and I love it, best car I ever owned !!!

If your in law enforcement you may be lucky enough to get one of the new Holden built 9C1 or 9C3 Caprices based on the Statesman model which is the longer brother of the Commodore. Anyway, I'm looking forward to having the V8 Supercar races here.

I have enjoyed watching the Super Cars for a couple of years on HD Theater on satellite dish. This year they changed their name to Volacity and are now chargeing real high prices for the satellite dish to carry their signal. I just had to draw the line on the monthly cost , so I may not get to watch it this year unless Speed or Fox has it. I saw a special last year with Daryl Walthrop in a ride along. I think he "dirted" his pants.

The Pontiac G8 GT is with the exception of some trim pieces is virtually indentical to the Commodore SS V and the redline edition even borrows some parts from the US only GXP package. There are several online sources available to get the Holden style trim pieces for those who want to cruise their American G8's Aussie style. You can even buy the HSV parts and body kits. I have a G8 GT and I love it, best car I ever owned !!!

If your in law enforcement you may be lucky enough to get one of the new Holden built 9C1 or 9C3 Caprices based on the Statesman model which is the longer brother of the Commodore. Anyway, I'm looking forward to having the V8 Supercar races here.

I know the G8 is basically the same car with changes to the front and rear with a brand change. Also aware of the kits for conversion "back" to a Holden. Just don't want to buy a used car again.

As far as the Caprice (police only)...PD's around here all use Ford's. Yes, I know the Crown Vic is out of production. I think Milwaukee bought some of the last big batches of them. We've got brand new ones everywhere. Think they're testing a couple Charger's. We'll see what they choose in the future. Maybe they'll wait to see what Ford comes up with. The Sheriff's Dept. uses Chevrolet Impala's and Tahoe's, but they got all brand new ones recently. Oh yeah...no I'm not a cop. Tried out years ago, but no.

Anyway, like I said before, I just wish they sold Holden's here. I'd get nearly the same mileage my Sonata gets, but with a V8. MORE FUN...and better looking too.

I love watching the V8 Super Cars! They actually look like the cars sold by Holden and Ford, instead of the template cloes that run in NASCAR. As far as I am concerned Bathhurst is the best race of the year and I look forward to it every year. I see that next Season Nisan will enter a team in The Super Cars. I wonder how well that will work out?

So are we going to see a AMG SLS??

... I'm not sure Mike. That would depend wether the GT championships go over with the V8 boys as well. I was lucky enough to attend last years Townsville 400 in early July & even got to do a lap of the track in my 59 Dodge with the drivers parade just before the main race.V8s101.jpg....... The V8 supercars were awesome, but the one car that really caught my attention was the AMG SLS. It had a beautiful chromed paint job & really looked the part, but the sound this thing put out was absolutely amazing. Whilst the Ferarri's & Lambos sounded almost like sewing machines with all their little pistons moving @ a million revs, & the Vipers just growling & barking along, every time that Merc came past the crowd just stared in amazement. The note that that 6.3 liter V8 put out was pure ear candy & would put a horn on a jellyfish. The only way to describe it was 'pure torque' & you could feel it on your chest (like a top fueller). An absolutely incredible car to see going around.AMGSLS.jpg

• 4 weeks later...