Model Cars Magazine Forum

Inventive way to destroy a race car.

What was he doing going around so fast he couldn't avoid it under a caution (at least) flag?

And, just what was Daytona International Speedway doing, sending a Jet Dryer loaded with JP-4 out on a race track DURING a race caution with race cars out there? Guess they found a pill-mill doctor to write the prescription and a pharmacy to fill it--sheesh!

ya know, Indianapolis Motor Speedway pioneered the idea of a jet engine with ductwork to dry the racing surface, but I am pretty sure THEY have never sent those out on the racetrack when there were race cars on the speedway!

Art

Edited by Art Anderson

It was a accident, something in the transmission broke and locked up the rear end.

I know the actual fact's as I was there since knowing Kasey Kahne and Joey Logano personally, I'm lucky enough to get to go to some of these races with them... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I'm sure everyone knows it was not done intenionally, but "something in the transmission" doesnt sound like actual facts, even from personal friends. That much was seen from the film.

Why were there tanks of jet fuel on a wet track with race cars peroid? thats just asking Mr. Murphy for his opinion..

"something in the transmission" doesnt sound like actual facts,

Why is that not possible??? I,ve worked on those Ford Top Loader 4 sp trans......the NASCAR guys run straight cut gears and super tight tolerances. The smallest chunk of gear breaks off, not hard when they don't use the clutch to shift, and it gets sucked up into the gear cluster it WILL lock up on you.

I think 99% of the folks missed on this one. This could have been a true mega tragedy with 2 or more folks killed live on TV. No one hurt, nothing loss than can't be replaced....at the end of the day (night?) all is good. I am not a big Juan fan....but I respect what he has done. When Johnson, Gordon, Kahne, Biffel etc etc win the Indy 500 and the Monaco F1 race and NASCAR races.....let me know

Why were there tanks of jet fuel on a wet track with race cars peroid? thats just asking Mr. Murphy for his opinion..

The track wasn't wet in the first place, the jet dryers were just out using the vented jet exhaust to blow the debris and built up rubber down the track.

Why does everyone who wasn't watching the race, and are clearly too lazy to actually search out and watch a replay feel the need to constantly spout forth their opinions on this incident in both of these threads involving this discussion?

Why is that not possible??? I,ve worked on those Ford Top Loader 4 sp trans......the NASCAR guys run straight cut gears and super tight tolerances. The smallest chunk of gear breaks off, not hard when they don't use the clutch to shift, and it gets sucked up into the gear cluster it WILL lock up on you.

I think 99% of the folks missed on this one. This could have been a true mega tragedy with 2 or more folks killed live on TV. No one hurt, nothing loss than can't be replaced....at the end of the day (night?) all is good. I am not a big Juan fan....but I respect what he has done. When Johnson, Gordon, Kahne, Biffel etc etc win the Indy 500 and the Monaco F1 race and NASCAR races.....let me know

I didnt say it wasnt possible, I was getting at, that wasnt much of a fact . I think we can all figure out that "something" locked up ..

The track wasn't wet in the first place, the jet dryers were just out using the vented jet exhaust to blow the debris and built up rubber down the track.

Why does everyone who wasn't watching the race, and are clearly too lazy to actually search out and watch a replay feel the need to constantly spout forth their opinions on this incident in both of these threads involving this discussion?

And I do apologize for being so lazy and assuming that the jet dryers were being used to dry the track of a race that was already rained out once, and no, I dont watch NASCAR, didnt know the kind of antics I was missing.

i guess we will have to wait to hear NASCAR's official conclusion to what happened. i don't think the trans or rear locked up. there were visible sparks coming from JPM's car before and after he started to slide/spin. if the trans or rear had locked up you'd have seen tire smoke coming from the rear tires when one of those two or both locked. something was producing all of those sparks, so what was it?

keep in mind too that JPM was complaining to his crew about a severe vibration and when he pitted they were looking for the source. once he got back out on the track IIRC he was asking the crew or spotter to look and see if the rear axle was moving around while he was in motion, shortly afterwards he crashed

In my mind and understanding of the cars today it makes perfect sense. Juan gets a vibration because a hunk of gear breaks off a cluster....the 6000 rpm of the shaft will vibrate like crazy.

Chunk of gear gets sucked up into the cluster locking it up along with the rear axle. Watch the video both rear wheels are locked tight.

The rear end locked forces down the the front of the car causing the headers to rub pavement....sparks.

All in all I don't think they will ever prove what happened. Juan was following the rules that allow him to 'catch the field' and staying down low as possible.

If anything NASCAR needs to look at equipment on the track during green or yellow flags. No jet dryer on the track and Juan's intact but broken car is towed from the track worse case.

I heard that when they replayed his radio communication with the CC. He was saying it felt like the rear end was moving around every time he hit the gas or something to that effect.

But it did look like the wheels locked up just bas the sparks started flying and it went up the track.

And, just what was Daytona International Speedway doing, sending a Jet Dryer loaded with JP-4 out on a race track DURING a race caution with race cars out there? Guess they found a pill-mill doctor to write the prescription and a pharmacy to fill it--sheesh!

ya know, Indianapolis Motor Speedway pioneered the idea of a jet engine with ductwork to dry the racing surface, but I am pretty sure THEY have never sent those out on the racetrack when there were race cars on the speedway!

Art

If you spend any amount of time watching racing you will note that it is common practice for Nascar races to have jet dryers out on the track during some caution situations to blow off debris and rubber buildup. As well, the Indianapolis Motor Speedway does the same thing during races there.

That being said, I would imagine that Nascar will hopefully learn from this and require operators of the jet dryers, going forward, to be outfitted with fire suits for their own protection as these types of fluke accidents can happen at anytime.

Again guys, this was a freak accident, I doubt we will see something like this happen ever again, NASCAR did not stop racing after Dale Sr. died, jet dryers have been a part of the sport and many other forms of auto racing, they are not going to stop using them because of this one incident.

Everyday semis pulling tankers full of all different types of fuels are on our highways and streets, so should we ban them from the roads to because someone could slam into the back of them?.

Part of Juan's drivetrain failed, just like it did on his team mates car Jamie Mac's car, so that is what caused him to lose control of the car that sent him in to the back of the jet dryer.

Art, if you can come up with a better way to clean off race tracks that wont take a long time, and is safer, then please do.

Edited by martinfan5

If the jet dryers weren't allowed on the track under caution every wreck would be a 30 minute red flag. or there would be track workers out there with brooms under cautions. Just like the old days when people made the joke of "if someone doesn't die it isn't a race".

Personally I'm ok with the 1/10000000 chance of a someone hitting a jet dryer. It's better than people walking around on the track any day of the week.

If the jet dryers weren't allowed on the track under caution every wreck would be a 30 minute red flag. or there would be track workers out there with brooms under cautions. Just like the old days when people made the joke of "if someone doesn't die it isn't a race".

Personally I'm ok with the 1/10000000 chance of a someone hitting a jet dryer. It's better than people walking around on the track any day of the week.

In all honesty, the jet drier would still be safer, what if a bunch of track sweepers were out there instead?! You might have a bunch of critically injured if not dead track emplyees instead of a handful of shaken up drivers and a half toasted crew cab dually.