Model Cars Magazine Forum

SCREAMING YELLOW ZONKER

GrandpaMcGurk

This thread will be about a build inspired by Ira's zany creations. Thanks for getting my tired ol' Mo Jo flowing again Ira!

I'll be putting gobs of detail into this build although I'm throwing scale and mechanical correctness to the wind.

In other words, if it looks cool it's simply peachy keen as far as I'm concerned.

I'll be using a mixed bag of materials, stalled project parts, metal, clay, resin and whatever else I can get my grubby mitts on that doesn't hurt my face.

Okay then.......The first order of biz is to formulate some sort of vision into what I want build.......yeah some guys are going to say "that's lame dude", I'm cool with that. Others may question my sanity...whatever.

Frankly....I'm fixing to have some fun, not to win any sort of contest or fame & glory.

I needed some big honkin' rear tires and although I have a huge selection of tires in my parts bin, nothing really fit what I had in mind. So the Madd Fabricator came to my rescue with these humongus resin castings.

Well buddy.....these are some big mutha's!

ASYZ1001.jpg

Seem to remember long long ago in the ancient past a kit with tires like that. just cannot seem to be able to dig that memory out though! :lol:

Edited by Johnny

Not quite ready for the heater yet Bart, but I'll be using my interpretation of a Topo for the body.....It's an old Lindy clunker I had laying around.

The rear of the roof has been raised (to clear the mystery drivers phat head). New back window and I really exaggerated the rear tire cut outs & spare wheel well opening...that's where the drag chute is going to live.

ASYZ1011.jpg

ASYZ1010.jpg

ASYZ1009.jpg

ASYZ1007.jpg

Think those tires are big enough, Don? I'll betcha this is going to be a cool build to watch.

Just wait til you see the engine........the tires won't look quite so big!

1/6 is simply too big and 1/8th is a tad small.....guess I'm going to have to cobble up something around 1/7th.

Alright then......I was hoping I could just stuff in one of those 1/6th die cast engines and as luck would have I have several kickin' around here. Slam, bam and so on.

Arrrrgggggggg! No way, no how, forget it!

It's just way too large to the point of hurting my face to look at it.

ASYZ2004.jpg

ASYZ2006.jpg

Let's try this, a 1/8th scale TDR Hemi block......

ASYZ2010.jpg

NO CIGAR... bummer, too small for my tastes!

Well I guess that takes care of all the "easy way out" magic bullets......Oh my, what to do, what to do?

I'm thinking I'll take one of these 1/6th die cast engine blocks out to the workshop (band saw is in the shed) and give it a tummy tuck. Hopefully I'll be able to come up with an engine that suits my orbs.

I really didn't want to have to build this engine from scratch so I'm back from the shed covered in metal dust and shavings carrying a handful of metal chunks.

The bottom of the block was removed and cut down, a section was removed from the length and width of the remaining block.......measure twice and cut once...yeah right!

That just never seems to work for me.

Any how...I'm tacking the pieces back together with automotive metal epoxy for a little eyeballin'.

ASYZ2013.jpg

ASYZ2015.jpg

I'll have to rebuild this core plug as I really didn't notice my cut would run right thru it.

ASYZ2014.jpg

The front and back of the block have been filled in with plastic sheet and 2 part filler.

ASYZ2016.jpg

Edited by GrandpaMcGurk

Now that I have established the engine size I'll be able to build a frame...this will be a rather hefty model so I'll need a strong frame.

I've built a couple this way before so I know it'll take the weight.

I start with rectangular tubing and drill some over-sized "speed holes" in it.

ASYZ2019.jpg

Short pieces of tubing inserted into holes give me a completely boxed sturdy frame rail.

ASYZ2019.jpg

Same process for the rear kick-up...I slid a smaller piece of tubing inside joints where the rails kick up for added strength.

ASYZ2022.jpg

The frame horn was constructed from sheet plastic.

ASYZ2021.jpg