Model Cars Magazine Forum

Dirk's Monogram 64 Mustang Kit-Bash

Dirkpitt289

Up next will be a my first auto kit bashing project. I will be taking the Monogram 64 Mustang Indy Pace Car kit and turning it into one of the rarest and most sought after Mustangs ever built.

The 1966 GT-350 Shelby Convertible.

History

The 66 Shelby Mustang GT350 had a production of 2'380 Vehicles. Of the 2'380 Carroll Shelby claimed he ordered 6 of them in Convertible. 1000 of the Shelby Mustangs in 1966 were ordered by The Hertz Car Rental Company. The colors in 1966 were varied and not just the classic White as in 1965. Shelby introduced Blue, Red, Green and Black in conjunction with the classic white.

The 66 Shelby Mustang came in Automatic as well as a 4 speed manual transmission. The 66 Had larger brakes, Functional Air Scopps were on the hood just as in 65 but they went back to a metal hood instead of the Fiberglass Hood used in 1965.

Scrolling back in the annals of automotive history, most enthusiasts are aware that convertible Shelby Mustangs didn't hit the scene until '68--in production form, that is. However, four legit G.T. 350 convertibles were made for 1966 per the 2011 Shelby Registry from the Shelby American Automobile Club. Whether you call them test cars, prototypes, or styling exercises, the crux is that they certainly weren't available to the general public. In the case of the '66s, the SAAC Registry details how these were the last four cars ordered by Shelby American at the end of the model year. Each was a different color--green, yellow, blue, and of course Candyapple Red.

Some of the features of the 66 Shelby

High Performance 289 motor with extra support braces in the engine compartment

mump-1202-08+1966-shelby-gt-350-convertible-the-ultimate-drop-top+engine-bay.jpg

Interior sported a standard mustang interior with a wood grain steering wheel, High visibility tach no center console and front disk brakes. These 4 snakes came with AC.

mump-1202-07+1966-shelby-gt-350-convertible-the-ultimate-drop-top+steering-wheel.jpg

mump-1202-13+1966-shelby-gt-350-convertible-the-ultimate-drop-top+rpm-gauge.jpg

Shelby rims

mump-1202-02+1966-shelby-gt-350-convertible-the-ultimate-drop-top+wheel-close-up.jpg

Shelby racing mirror

mump-1202-03+1966-shelby-gt-350-convertible-the-ultimate-drop-top+side-mirror-detail.jpg

Side strips, hood scoops and side scoops

mump-1202-05+1966-shelby-gt-350-convertible-the-ultimate-drop-top+rear-view.jpg

The car I will be modeling will be Carroll Shelby's personal snake which was the Dark Green with gold GT rocker panel stripes. In 1966 Ford had a policy that stated employee cars were to be sold after 6 months. Rumor was that Carroll had planed on keeping this car for himself but while overseas for LaManns a overzealous employee sold the car as per the policy. Carroll's car has now been in the hands of the same person for the last 30 years and has since fully restored the car adding duel gold stripes over the hood and trunk in the original Shelby style and a Paxton Supercharger. I'm not sure I can add the supercharger but I do plan on adding the stripes.

Kit info to follow

Edited by Dirkpitt289

The Kit

IMG_1194.jpg

IMG_1186.jpg

IMG_1187.jpg

IMG_1188.jpg

IMG_1189.jpg

IMG_1191.jpg

IMG_1192.jpg

Now the Monogram 64 Mustang kit may have most of the parts I need to do this build but it doesn't have all the parts that would make it a 66 Shelby. For that I turned to another Monogram kit. The 66 Shelby. From this kit I will be able to harvest the following parts. Hood with scoop, Side body scoops, Engine support braces, Steering wheel, 289 HiPo oil pan, 289 HiPo air filter, 66 instrument cluster, High vis Tach, Side mirror and the 66 Shelby Rims. The gold strips will come from a GT-350H kit.

IMG_1223.jpg

And the best part is I will still be able to turn the remaining parts into a completed Mustang at some other point and time.

I recently saw a 67 black on black coupe with a black vinyl top that Carroll was selling off. Can't remember where it was. Looked cool but I can't remember the story behind it.

Work has begun. I started with the 289 K motor

Ford's 289 Hi-Po was also Shelbized, most notably with the addition of tubular Tri-Y headers and a Holley 715-cfm carburetor with aluminum high-rise intake manifold. These performance mods were over and above the already potent Hi-Po 289 version offered by the factory, taking the power rating from 271 hp for the Hi-Po to 306 hp for the Shelby Cobra version. (SWEET!!!!!)

IMG_1224.jpg

IMG_1226.jpg

I'm just waiting on getting a new distributor kit to install.

IMG_1269.jpg

There are the stock valve covers compared to the Shelby valve covers

IMG_1227.jpg

IMG_1228.jpg

IMG_1229.jpg

Another difference between the 64 kit and the 66 kit is the instrument cluster. The 64/ 65 instrument clusters had a sweep arem that ran from the left of the cluster to the right. In 66 they put in a dial cluster

IMG_1231.jpg

IMG_1233.jpg

IMG_1235.jpg

The seats were also finished

IMG_1270.jpg

Thanks for looking

Flocking of the interior has been completed

IMG_1318.jpg

Using some PE I went to work making the Shelby seat belts

IMG_1326.jpg

Belts attached to the seats

IMG_1327.jpg

Seats installed

IMG_1329.jpg

IMG_1330.jpg

IMG_1337.jpg

Once I posted this photo I realized I forgot something and will have some rework to do. Cudos to the person who figures out what I forgot.

Till next time...

Okay, being nit-picky because you asked. Only things I see that might be considered missing are the shifter boot, the tach and the under-dash a/c? Passenger side mat too. It looks great! Im loving it.

The mat looking thing on the drivers side is made into the carpet on the 1:1 there is not one for the passenger side.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 years later...