Model Cars Magazine Forum

Lamborghini Aventador.....Stand Back, this thing will Hurt You!

Peter Lombardo

I recently received the Fujimi Lamborghini Aventador kit from HLJ. I just had to get into it right a way…..what a great looking super car……sleek, sharp, angular, muscular and sensual all at the same time……this thing just screams at you “get back…I will hurt you”…..anyway, I jumped right into the kit.

First, the kit comes with two sets of wheels, the same wheels, but one set is plated and the other is molded in a nice satin black that really needs nothing more than the center hub decals. The chrome set look great, and I could see paying up to $18.00 for these if they were offered as an aftermarket wheel, so it was a great deal if just for the free wheel set.

The other point to mention is the doors are open, but do not operate. You have two choices….opened or closed. The area inside the door opening looks great, it looks like the real thing, so it would be a shame to glue the doors closed. The other option given is to permanently mount the doors on non-moving open position, which looks good, but you can never close the doors to see how sleek and down-right mean the car looks. Well, neither solution was acceptable to me so I made, what turned out to be a very simple hinge, the doors now open and close, as they should.

The biggest mistake with the car, I think, is the fact that Fujimi really blew the rear hatch area on this kit. I did not realize how bad it was until it was too late for me to change it (my mistake) but in hindsight it would be easy to correct. This car does not come with a fully molded motor, but with a motor “plate” that has the top of the engine molded in very nice detail. This seems to be the new normal with the Japanese kits now and when detailed with paint, photo-etched screens and decals make a very convincing engine bay. The real problem is that the top outer cover is way too thick, so it requires careful sanding to get it to snuggle down, and the cover does not open in the correct place. In other words, the hatch is not seamed in the correct place. The upper side “wing” area of the hatch should be cut from the hatch piece and they should be permanently mounted to the body. Then only the correct hatch area would open. I secured my hatch to the car, mainly because I noticed the error after everything was painted and since it is just the engine plate, it looks fine through the three level rear window. If I were to do a second car, I would correct the opening area of the hatch and hinge the hatch so it opened just as the real car does…..but too late for that on this one.

This is one of the rare times I built a car completely stock…as intended from the factory…the only change to the kit is working doors and a unique color for the car. Other than a few items here and there, it goes together very well…..the windows fit is just perfect…..they snap in flush and tight, really sweet. Same with the wheels and brakes, fit tight, work perfectly and look great.

Being the fast creature that it is, I thought it needs a fast color too. I primed the car, lightly sanded it, painted it pure white, sanded it, painted it HOK Sunrise Pearl (Looks too much like school bus yellow for me) so I covered it with Tamiya clear yellow which gave it a more orangish hue and then covered it with clear lacquer mixed with HOK ultra fine gold metal-flake to give it a more golden glow. Once dry, it was cleared with future.

The interior is all flat black and the seat centers, console trim and door trim was painted flat yellow and later topped with a light spray of Tamiya clear orange to match the exterior color relatively closely.

If you are into exotic sports car models, this is a must have. Period.

See for yourself. (include here is a little pictorial on the door hinges…..you should be able to follow along, but if there are questions just ask.)

Edited by Peter Lombardo

Saw this on BBC's Top Gear and Hammond seemed upset it wasn't trying to kill him as often as most Lambos do.

For my money this is hands down the BEST yet to come from that shop.

OK the Countach is plain SEX. The Muira is dripping with Primordial ooze AND Sex.

But this says P#SS oFF, i'm out for a jaunt. I'll be back in 14 seconds.

WHITE is the color of choice for me.

OH, NICE build BTW.

I'm getting one as we speak.

Bob

First off this is a family site, there are young ones on here that talk needs to go else where.

Peter once the pic loads I'll comment on it for some reason it's not doing anything.

Edit: I'm still getting a black square

Edited by Kaleb

thats one sweet build i love the way you got the doors to work... i may sound dumb by asking but what are those silver things you put on the door hinges ??

As you can see, the hinge is very simple…it is a brass rod bent basically at ninety degrees and secured to the inside of the door….the smaller forty degree bend is just to keep the hinge secure in its position. The long end is inserted into the holes I drilled in the inner door frame so that the brass rod sits under the dashboard. The “silver” things are a series of three aluminum tubes glued together, inserted into each other and epoxyed to the inner panel of the interior, under the dash. The brass rod fits quite securely into the inner most tube which provides the tension and friction to keep the door up in the open position. Also, the rod is free to slide slightly in and out of the tubes because the door must come away from the body as it opens so that the interior panel clears the outside body panel…it works in a loose kind of “screw” action….the door pulls away from the car as it is opened and razed.

Hopefully in the very near future an after-market company will make/sell a PE set for this baby... I'm holding out 'til then ;-) ( yes I know the kit come's with PE detail, but only for the air vents )

There are at least two sets from Acu Stion. Mine should be here this week or next and i will post pictures of them.

joe.