Model Cars Magazine Forum

What's the story behind your user name/avatar?

I decided to change my avatar! I figured after over 2 years that Flapjack could use a break.

The one I'm using now represents the greatest 'extended jam' band ever to fill a stadium. I won't bother you with a lot of details about the group, but there is one thing they do at concerts that I find pretty cool.

They take a huge beach ball and toss it into the audience. Every time someone pops the ball into the air, they play a note, and as the ball is being bounced around they have improvised a song with the help of the audience. they call it the Big Ball Jam.....

pretty cool, I think.........

When I joined here I used the user name Old:S'Cool.. but was unaware that there were other members with the same name, just different spellings. So to avoid confusion.. I changed it to my E-Bay user name..

And as for my Avatar. that I am currently using.. I'm just a huge Carroll Shelby fan.

my user name 'spotarama' comes from my nickname 'spotty' which i scored from a friend many years ago after he noticed that whenever i got bitten by an insect or cut/grazed myself, the wound would always get infected and take up to a year to heal.

this unfortunate state of affairs stems from a minor incident at the age of 5, i jumped into a european wasps nest (it was in england so i assume they were european anyway). in my defence there wasn't a nest of wasps the last time i'd jumped into that particular hole i'd dug in the garden. anyway i got stung a couple of hundred times and nearly died. didn't though, just ended up highly allergic to bites, scratches etc.

after living with it for the last 45 years i'm kind of used to it and it has gotten better over the years but it still summons a horrified look when people ask me why i'm called 'spotty'

oh and the avatar is a diecast forklift i modified to look like a forklift i'd be happy to drive instead of the POS i'm stuck with at work. it got a racing seat, alloy pedals, levers made from dressmakers pins, V8 headers, AMG mags and airhorns. it's photographed in the yard of the garage diorama i built years ago

• 2 years later...

My username seemed a natural choice as the whole NNL concept started in my garage in 1980 with 5 other guys and the idea for taking the competition out if model car building and replacing it with the fun it was supposed to be.Some giant if a man from Utah wrote about us in one if his magazine articles calling us "a group of National Luminaries who shall remain Nameless".That was 36 years ago and the concept has spread to every continent on earth except Antarctica so we must have created something special.I have no avatar because I don't know how to create one.

"Keep calm and remain Nameless"

Wow Tom, you brought a 2-year-old thread back to life!

My user name is the nickname I had for years.  A combination of my first and last names.  Avatar is a random photos I took at one of the car shows. It is hard to see in such a small zise but it is a photo of some Rat-Rod's engine at the show with a bottle of Jack Daniels used as a coolant overflow tank.  I just thought it was a nice touch.

An old thread revived, yet still good, my opinion.

I've had a career of making very tedious and very tiny small type things, yet when it comes to finishing a silly 1:25 model I flub up during the end phases, big time.  Glue on windows and shiny paint jobs, stuff of this nature.  Hence, I feel to have often 10 thumbs instead of being well adapted to fine finishing touches.

In the meantime I've figured out why and am good with it.  Just recently again I goofed, but now I laugh at myself.

Uncle Scott has been my pen name for about 25 years now. When I first started writing about cars, I wanted to be like Tom McCahill. And a lot of his readers refered to him as Uncle Tom. I am no Tom McCahill with my writing, and that's okay. People liked my own style and the name fit. So it stuck. Unclescott58 came about because I could not register the name Uncle Scott as a user name on the web. There were Uncle Scotts before me. Since I was born in 1958, I just added that to my pen/nick name, and it worked.

The icon picture? Just found that on the web. It work so well for me. It combines several of my loves. Mainly cars and science fiction. How can you beat a bubble top '58 Lincoln with an Edsel grille, being driven by a multi tentacled alien?

Back in the late '90's/early '00's, my '61 Ferrari 250 GT SWB was featured in Scale Auto. One of the things they mentioned and had been noticed by two different people that read the article, was my "Obsessive" attention to detail. When I started getting on message boards back around 2002-03, I remembered that article and what was said and have been using that handle pretty much ever since. 

EDIT: Oh! I should say my avatar as most folks know is my '11 Challenger. I'm not one to change avatars frequently-----I think I have had that one not long after buying the car very late in '14. Guess it's about time for a change! To what I'm not quite sure yet. ;)

Edited by MrObsessive

Here is my contribution, GLMFAA stands for Great Lakes Miniature Fire Apparatus Association. Which was a fire apparatus club from the 80's that I had been the president and was started by Larry Mattingly and myself to counter FAMBA (Fire Apparatus Model Builders Association) Fire model building waned and both clubs dissolved. The avatar is the logo from the club, It is a yellow Maltese cross which signifies the fire service, the inner circle is the United State and Canadian flags in a black circle to give respect to fire fighters who lost their lives in the line of duty. This is placed over the great lakes which border the US and Canada and encompassed our club area as set by the by laws of the club. We were International to start with, but had outreach including a member in New Zealand. It was fun and a lot of work. greg

Mine is easy, like a lot of names here. Im a drummer and the father of 4 kids. On some forums the name already exists, so I add my birth year. Easy. I dont have an avatar, because I am a technological retard, with a chromebook, so I cant resize a picture. Ill get around to it someday, maybe. 

This thread is old so a lot of the explanations about avatars are obsolete!   People have since changed theirs, and it reflects in all their posts past or present!  

My name... I didn't pick it.  I was given it on the first day I was born... didn't have much choice!   And my current avatar is my own political statement on the presidential election! 

Now a question... do you treat people like their avatar?  Do you respect Harry because his Dirty Harry picture intimidates you?   And do you treat people with goofy face avatars like numpties?   :blink:

Tom's right. This is an old thread, and a lot of newer members don't have any idea of who some of the old farts are.

A lot of the old-timers already know I own a company called Ace Garage (currently in limbo) and I'm a guy. Pretty clever, huh?

I change my avatar about 1/25 as frequently as I change my socks, for much the same reason. 

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Thanks, guys.... for reviving this old thread! I started it a couple months after I joined. Hard to believe that's been 4.5 years ago.........! Something that might help for in the future is if the replies have a pic of your current avatar in them.......... That way you can explain what it was at the time! My avatar currently is an old Dodge pickup. Always loved the SweptLines!

rat_dodge.thumb.jpg.93d1beca923f134ac5dc

...Hard to believe that's been 4.5 years ago...Something that might help for in the future is if the replies have a pic of your current avatar in them.......... That way you can explain what it was at the time!

Excellent idea. This was me then...    Image result for solo urban vehicle 

...my own design, in progress in full scale in the old shop...  Image result for solo urban vehicle  ...maybe soon to be resurrected for a class LSR attempt.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

My user name is my real name.  The avatar is currently a blue square because I like blue--favorite color--and like water.  I do change it occasionally, now that football season is back, I'll change it back to a Broncos logo again.   I've also had a blue & gold U of Michigan logo since I went there. 

Harry, You haven't changed your avatar in about a year...... Did you run out of famous Harrys? We never got to see Harry Potter, or Harry and the Hendersons..... :P

I ran out of the most well-known ones, and didn't want to use Harry Potter or Harry and the Hendersons. I'll stick with good old Dirty Harry for the foreseeable future. :D