Model Cars Magazine Forum

It's been quite some time since I was here, but it looks like this drag racing forum sure picked up speed! I could remember an echo in here, now there's folks taking and posting 1/16th (my fav)

Just a shout out to two incredible time consuming builds by Mooneyz and Vintagedragfan....the Calif. Charger and the Army F/C are UNBELIEVABLE......makes me want to sell a car and buy a lathe, but then I would NEVER come out of the shop. I thought I knew detail, but I don't :)

I was lucky enough to grow up in the golden years of drag racing, and my dad worked with a lot of racers, our home track was Fremont, and I saw ALL the iconic cars of the day....I am also old enough to actually have bought the Revell 1/16th models off the shelf when they first came out. It is SO good to see how many people have found this hobby again....

Anyway, to get to the reason of the post. I have been stockpiling parts and pieces, and am feeling the need to start building again, so I thought I would hollar out to any folks with photos of a few cars.

Mike Sullivan's Fiat Fuel Altered (the blue one)

Prudhomme's or McEwen's Hot Wheels FED's (Snake - Mongoose - for search purposes)

Howard Cam's Rattler (the orange FED that slixx made the 1/16th decal set for)

What I have is a good collection of drag cars....all sorts, floppers and rails mostly, name drivers, unique cars, I have some I have taken myself, but most are from years of collecting from the NET....

I also have very high quality digitals of drag boats and a lot from the pits for details if anyone is doing a drag boat model....

anyway, so good to see the hobby going well, and I look forward to watching a few builds take place.....

ps.....has anyone done the JT-Graphics 1/16th Hot Wheels Snake or Mongoose build? (that's why I would love some photos of those cars!)

Edited by rckymtn3

Hello Rckymtn.... first off I would like to say welcome back here and second I would like to say thank you for the kind words about my Army Vega build. I have to first say that I pretty much grew up at the Baylands in Fremont. My dad used to pit on a top alcohol dragster team. I am sure this name will ring a bell but the team we were on was the San Paolo Bros "Speghetti Bender". My dad wrenched with them from before I was born and until I was about 13. I do have to ask if you remember that car and seeing that you have pics of cars, would you by chance have any pics of the Speghetti Bender. I have been trying to see if my mom has any from back in the day because i am really wanting to build a 1/16th scale of it if I can.

As far as your other requests. I have the body and decals from slixx to do the Mike Sulivan's Fiat Altered. One of the guys that post here and his name is Mike Garland, what a great guy he is. I have talked with him many of times and I know he has built the Mike Sullivan car and I believe he has pics of it as well as I know he personally was talking with Mike Sullivan as he was building it. so I know he has a great insight of this build. I know that Mike was going to get me some pics to help me with the build since it is my que of 1/6th scale builds I am wanting to do. I am sure he will be more than happy to help.

for the others I don't have too much info on the cars I may have a few photos that I have saved off the internet. I also have a few different drag racing books in my collection that I can see if there any good photos and take pics of the pages if there are for you. Those JT-Graphics kits I recently have seen on Ebay and they look like a great kit. I would love to add them to my collection as well.

Anyway welcome again and I look forward to seeing some of your builds. Especially the 1/16th scale ones, its the kick I am on and will be on for quite a while. lol

How cool is that? I was born in Mountainview, lived all around the bay area, spent a lot of time in Cupertino.....I loooooved Fremont.....one of those "old school" strips....everyone that was anyone was there, and killer times being right at sea level, weeds and armco, dirt pits....the sound of tiny rocks picked up by hot slicks then hitting the interior tinwork with a gentle "ting" "ting" punctuated by the huge roar of a nitro run or a generous whacking of the throttle in the pits....sigh.....when it went, and OCIR, and any other California track worth anything....well....this hobby allows me to relive it in so many ways.

As far as the San Paolo Bros sound SO familiar....sad thing is, and there's a lesson here for everyone....DO NOT LET YOUR MOM decide which pictures to throw out and which to keep......you'll end up with a bunch of sappy ones she likes, and no grease smudged photos of cars....

I can't tell you how many photos we had from Fremont, and I am left with just a few....but I will look....you never know...lol....ps....try Les Welch and then he might know some other photogs from the Fremont days....Les lists his photos by year, by track, then by "roll".... http://www.leswelch.com/contents.html

Funny thing about you mentioning the mideller here that was talking with Mike Sullivan, I was writing to someone earlier about that I had jheard that a guy was writing back and forth with him, and Sullivan went so far as to correct certain things on the chassis etc.....we also talked about how very few photos of that awesome altered there is.....anyway, I look forward to all of the action going on this forum.....thanks again for the welcome!

hey rckymtn3 welcome back to the forum!, I am new to the forums myself, this is a real treat to be able to share this great hobby with so many people, I 'm sorry I cant help you out with the reference pics that you need, but I wanted to echo what Chris said about mentioning our builds, that is quite an honor with so many fantastic builds that are on this forum, I really appreciate it, and I know Chris does as well, once again welcome back and thanks for the kind words!

laughing, because I now know what you mean, I would have added more folks to that list, like Romell R, which I just finished perusing his promod build (blown-away)...I am slowly checking everyone's posts, especially the 1/16th builds as that's my area of interest....so there are more posting I need to get through as I have time.

more photo requests:

would like to share any photos with anyone that has a collection of the MOB Fuel Altered (the revamped 80's version). The Snake and Goose Hot Wheels FED's are still much appreciated if anyone likes to share those (I have a number of photos from each group I am requesting, just hoping there's some folks out there that have different ones than myself)...

Those are my planned builds over the next couple of years (for sure) is Ed Moore's MOB AA/FA and the two Hot Wheels FED's of Prudhomme and McEwen. I have fond memories of all three cars. so looking forward to the builds.

I was going to do them all this summer, but having my mind opened as to how detailed we can get, well, I've expanded that to a couple of years....I want to faithfully recreate these three. and the two FED's will be the hardest. Seems nobody that has visited Garlits' museum take more than a couple photos of the Hot Wheels FED there. Anyway....back to "looking"

more photo requests:

would like to share any photos with anyone that has a collection of the MOB Fuel Altered (the revamped 80's version). The Snake and Goose Hot Wheels FED's are still much appreciated if anyone likes to share those (I have a number of photos from each group I am requesting, just hoping there's some folks out there that have different ones than myself)...

Those are my planned builds over the next couple of years (for sure) is Ed Moore's MOB AA/FA and the two Hot Wheels FED's of Prudhomme and McEwen. I have fond memories of all three cars. so looking forward to the builds.

I was going to do them all this summer, but having my mind opened as to how detailed we can get, well, I've expanded that to a couple of years....I want to faithfully recreate these three. and the two FED's will be the hardest. Seems nobody that has visited Garlits' museum take more than a couple photos of the Hot Wheels FED there. Anyway....back to "looking"

Check this site out for MOB photos,

http://www.aa-fuelaltered.com/mob.shtml

I have pics I took at the Garlits museum of Prudhomme's Dragster. I do not have a way of posting them on this site (to lazy to setup a photobucket account or such) PM me with your e-mail and I can send you some shots. I have plenty.

tb

Edited by tbusch

There was a guy on this site or one other online modeling forum who works at Garlits' museum and he said he could any and all the pictures of a particular subject you wanted. I'll see if I can locate him and get wih you.

thats not me, but I have been to the musuem 5 times in the last 10 years and have photos

tb

laughing, because I now know what you mean, I would have added more folks to that list, like Romell R, which I just finished perusing his promod build (blown-away)...I am slowly checking everyone's posts, especially the 1/16th builds as that's my area of interest....so there are more posting I need to get through as I have time.

Hey I think I echo the thoughts of Chris and Bill when I say Im honored that I can be some kind of inspiration to any builder. I always say thats what our hobby is all about inspiring one another to build better models. You'll find that there are some great builders here on this forum all of whom have inspired me in one way or another. so welcome aboard and we cant wait to see what you have instore for us.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi! Kevin,

This pic is in the lastest issue of National Dragster, which arrived in today's mail. Thought you might like it.

I too called Fremont Raceway home. Spent a lot of time there with my Dad and the car club we belonged to (the Hayward Drag Club). Spent a lot of time there before the club as well.

My Sister and I feel like we were practically raised out there.

I bought the 1/16 Revell and Aurora model kits when they first came out. Still have them... unbuilt!

post-8687-0-12288100-1331772417_thumb.jp

I see you posted a lot already, but welcome to the forum!

Have A Great Day!

sweeeeet! very nice. You seldom see the whole caravan of trailers and cars wildlife racing traveled with....great shot! thanks! And we have probably seen each other at Fremont :) I still look in people's photos, knowing one day I'll spot myself in someone else's photos....thanks for the post!