Model Cars Magazine Forum

Can-Am Spirit community build

otherunicorn

An idea I am playing around with... Thoughts? Interest?

A build in the spirit of the '60s Can-Am racers.

This means you are building an unlimited class racing car.

It may have:

-any sort of engine that could navigate a race track.

-and sort of induction

-any engine size

-any number of engines

-any number of wheels (minimum 4)

-current technology is okay

Rules:

Vehicle must have two seats. (not one, not four)

Wheels must be enclosed.

Body should be aerodynamically styled - i.e. no sedan style bodies. (no age restriction on body)

No "out of the box" builds.

You may use parts from a Can-Am or Le Mans model, but, at the very least, substitute a different engine.

Reworking old builds, restarting stalled projects, starting from new are all okay.

The bulk of the model should be styrene.

Rocket engines and huge jet engines would be inappropriate, but smaller helicopter style jets are acceptable.

Time limit: 1 year.

Edited by otherunicorn

• 5 weeks later...

Don't feel bad. There was a fella that started a CBP for any non-straight line race cars, past, present, future. It didn't get past five pages before it died off. The more specific a CBP's focus, the less interest it seems to get.

Ken is there any age restriction to the cars? I' never seen any of thes typs of cars before. I had to look them up. But if there's no make or age restrain I have something in mind.

There in no restriction on the age, just on the style. I'm trying to avoid people building street rods! As long as it is aerodynamically styled, go for it.

That will be an extreme change in the size of the engine. Rotaries are so small!

I'm starting with an AMT CanAm body. It's based on a real jet powered car that survives until today, although the model depicts it during it's very brief stint as an open top car. I will need to a fair amount of modification to it. For a start, my rear wheels are somewhat further back.

P1000934-vi.jpg

P1000935-vi.jpg

Edited by otherunicorn