Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mirco-Mark Resin Casting Kit?

I would avoid all starter kits, why? The resin you get has a really fast setup time, this can discourage many folks starting out. You will need to work quickly, and to be honest it is just a hassle. Most often you will also get a 1:1 silicone, which doesnt last very long making parts.

I would start this way..

Smooth-on makes many silicones and resins with many set up times in "trial kit" packaging, the same size items found in the starter sets, its just you are picking what would be a better experience.

Smooth-on smoothcast 305 for white parts, or 321 for tan parts these resins are the same just a different color, it has a 7 minute mixing time and a 30-1hour demold time, it is much easier to use than the faster stuff as it allows you knock out air bubbles or pick them away.

Silicones, this is where I would use a 10:1 mix silicone, you will need to weigh it with a gram scale, but its really easy..it sounds more complicated than it really is.

Smooth-on mold max 20 would be a great way to go, you get about 45 minutes of actual mixing time with it, allowing you to pour thin streams to get the least amount of bubbles in your mold.

Now you can try the smooth-on mold start silicone which is 1:1 mix and very durable, but platinum based silicones dont play nice with some masters, so i would hold off on it till you get your feet wet.

Some folks may suggest the Oomoo 1:1 silicone but that stuff is not durable at all, you can tear it with your hand, its only good for a handful of castings ..a bit more if you baby it.

Not sure if it's available in NZ but the place I buy all my resin casting products from here in Sydney is a place calles Barnes, they carry everything you'll ever want. Check there website, maybe they have a branch in NZ. I'm sure you'll be able to find something over there. Good Luck

Edited by kevjoh

One other suggestion if you do Ebay. There are a couple of excellent lower cost products sold there by a few different companies. For resins, try Composi-Cast sold by a guy named Stan and for RTV, try Illuse-Effects rubber. I used to use Smooth-On products but dropped them like a Hot Potato after finding these!

Jason I have not but you can easily make the comparison between their offerings and what smooth on has and match up the products. I think most folks suggest to avoid "starter kits" because of the materials they include, as in, they try to give the user the basic ingredients to begin resin casting. Although some of the "basic" starter materials may not be the greatest in the long run, however, they may be the "easiest" to use for a beginner. I would suggest buying resin and rubber separately instead of a "starter" kit so you can pick and choose what you'd like. You can buy small sizes for experimenting from Alumilite or Smooth On of resin as well as rubber.

I have used Alumilite white for about 2 years now w/out any issues, although it doesn't give you much working time which some people do not like (I dont mind). I'm going to try some of Smooth On's products next to experiment, perhaps something that allows a bit more working time. I also have a sample of Mold Star 15 Platinum from Smooth On at home that I plan on trying this week. Heard good things about it. Its 1:1 mix ratio so a measuring scale is not necessary. If you can get your hands on it, I'd suggest getting the Alumilite DVD. Its pretty informative and will give you the basic understanding of resin casting, mold making, materials being used, etc.

Edited by shucky

• 3 weeks later...

I've used Alumilite, Micro Mark and Smooth-On resins. The Micro Mark is indeed made by Smooth On and I think it's excellent but you pay a little bit extra when you get it from MM so I'd recommend Smooth On. Alumilite resin sets insanely fast and should only be used by real pros in a production setting where time is at a premium IMHO. The Smooth On resin that I use is Smooth Cast 305 that has a 30 minute de-mold time. The 300 series comes in four types with de-mold times from 4 minutes to 4 hours. I might switch to the one with a 10 minute de-mold.

MM's silicone is made by Smooth-On but with a twist. Smooth-On sells two versions of their Oomoo resin called Oomoo 25 and Oomoo 30. The 25 sets faster but is on the soft side so it's not as durable and parts might sometimes get distorted before they set if you're not careful. I use the 30. It takes a several hours to set but produces a good firm mold. Now for the twist - MM only sells one type of silicone and it's kind of like an Oomoo 27.5 if you get my drift. It's between the 25 and 30 in both hardness and cure time. I think it kind of hits a sweetspot that's just right but once again it costs a little more than Smooth-On and I can live with a longer cure time so I get Oomoo 30. Your choice.

Edited by mr moto