Model Cars Magazine Forum

rant: why do people always show the same car over and over

im sure everyone who has been to shows knows what im talking about, the guy who built an amazing car 10 years ago but feels the need to keep showing the car non stop over and over, while everyone else brings new stuff they keep bringing the same car, dont get me wrong some cars are great but it gets a little tiring to see the same thing 50 times.but seriously build something new.

You're right Frank. Some people who do the Show Circuit never seem to "retire" their cars. I, and most of the guys that I know, and used to know when I was more involved in going to Shows, would show a model for one year at whatever "circle" of shows that I/we attended and then retire the car. We would build new models for the next years' round of shows.

Maybe he hasn't built anyhing since he completed that model? Maybe he's proud if it and it's the best he's ever built? Maybe there are new people coming to the show who have never seen it? Maybe he can no longer see as well as when he built the model so he isn't physically able to build to the level he once did? Maybe he can't afford to buy any new models?

Could be a lot of reasons why, but why do you keep looking at it if you're so tired of seeing it? :D

Like everyone else I like to see new stuff all the time, but I don't mind looking at older models, in particular if I have not seen them in person (might have seen them covered in the magazines).

I have to say that some models just break the mold and I can see why some builders would be proud to show them time and again . . .

But yes, I always try to take new work to the shows . . . although some models become calling cards for builders.

im sure everyone who has been to shows knows what im talking about, the guy who built an amazing car 10 years ago but feels the need to keep showing the car non stop over and over, while everyone else brings new stuff they keep bringing the same car, dont get me wrong some cars are great but it gets a little tiring to see the same thing 50 times.but seriously build something new.

And? what's wrong for someone to have pride in their work?

If you don't like to look at it...fine... just look another direction. you don't HAVE to look at them

I'd like to say, with all due repect. Somethings are better left unsaid!

It doesn't matter the reason.

Just enjoy the hobby!

X2

Why worry about what others are doing. It is a hobby, and it is fun.

No matter where you go in life or what you do, you will find someone that gets under your skin.

I don't really care if people bring the same stuff.

It's when that particular model wins every time in the same contests. The rules I know are: if said model wins at this contest it is not eligible to be entered at the same contest next year or whatever.

The other thing is people "category shopping" for their model and putting their build into a category with barely any entries, just so they can get an award knowing their model has nothing to do with said category. That irks me.

I feel a little weird bringing builds I've already shown before to a show. But I do understand that if you're proud of something you've done, you want the widest audience possible to check it out- otherwise nothing would ever get posted here in "Under Glass".

The other thing is people "category shopping" for their model and putting their build into a category with barely any entries, just so they can get an award knowing their model has nothing to do with said category. That irks me.

Hear, hear.

No joke! I see it every year, I don't neccesarily care if they continue to show it, but if they continue to with the same awards every year, it irks me a bit.

This topic also bleeds over the 1:1 car shows. As part of the Inland Northwest Camaro Club, I attend MANY car shows, and am very involved in the INWCC show every year.

We used to have an "Under construction" class for folks with project cars they like to show, and a few years back, I remember several cars (several years in a row) entered in the UC class, and nothing had been done to them. The 1st place winner with his 99.9% finished '59 El Camino, brought it in every year, with everything completed (BEAUTIFULLY) except the wood in the bed...therefore calling it a project.

Guest Johnny

Years back had a local show (added to a 1:1 charity show) where we were living and had a guy win and place in 2 of 3 catagories he entered with the same car!!

Beautifully built 68 Camaro entered in a stock class. As soon as they had judged that catagory and placed the awards (he took 1st) and moved on to Custom he took the car outside and withing 10 minutes he had it in his spot at the Drag racing table. He had swapped motors hood and added slicks and HemI Hunter decals to the doors. He didn't get an award there. When they got to the street rod class he had removed the blower engine and replaced it with a tunnel rammed, removed the hood and the door decals and slicks. had deep cragars on the back with wide tires and the front fenders had been primered and bumper removed!!! He took third place!!!

People complained but the organizers didn't have a clue what to do as he had registered "A" 68 Camaro in all three catagories (5 buck registration per car) and said there really was nothing in the single page of rules that prhibited him from doing that!!! :unsure:

Shouldn't the judges be disqualifying entries that don't belong in a given class?

Shouldn't the judges be disqualifying entries that don't belong in a given class?

You would think!

Or at least move them to their corresponding category.

I did have one model (the monster truck) in a contest. The judges were friends/same club with the only other person in my category and that guy's build wasn't all that great (glue bomb, terrible paint, terrible fit). So instead of judging fairly, they moved my model to the diorama category so the guy could win. I dunno if their intent was to give the guy false praise or whatnot, but the category i was told to put it in was "competition/other" and both of our builds were the only post apocalypse based builds in the contest. This was also the category that the model was placed in BY THEM at the time of registration. So why they would put it somewhere else at the time of judging appears to be "brother-in-lawing" or just plain cheating.

It's ok though, they know who's was really better, and seeing people looking at my work and taking pictures and showing genuine interest in the model compared to the other one was enough to put a smile on my face.

This brings me to my favorite part of contests. Sitting off in the distance watching my models like a mother bear to her cubs, and seeing people taking pictures of my work.

The scariest part about contests are the kids running around all these "toys". Always makes me nervous lol

I don't watch the models per say. In I S C A show circuits , one HAS to make at least TWO VISIBLE CHANGES to bring a ride back into competition . I see a lot of the same ole stuff in the restored classes as well. Some guys are like snow birds , they bring back the same ole car year after year after year , I think they just recycle the displays too. Meanwhile , I'm usually too busy buying stuff for someone else to really pay attention ............ Ed Shaver

This year, at the Annual Detroit Auto-Rama, I didn't even really bother to go do my walk about. What I DID notice was that yes, there were ALOT of the same cars there as had been there the years(s) before, and they looked the same to me. Maybe Ed is right about the changes that must be done, but they sure LOOKED like they were the same car. It's like that in the model world too i guess. The owner likes it enough to keep showing it. Maybe he DOES change something on it. Who knows?

Yeah there is a guy who comes to some Florida shows. Almost all his work falls under the "custom" catagory and it's REALLY good work, but he brings them every year. And they are starting to get ignored by the judges which I appreciate. He also likes to spread his work out if he can, like entering his custom ElCamino in the "commercial" catagory because it has a bed. Eventually these people will get a reputation and judges will catch on.

Years back had a local show (added to a 1:1 charity show) where we were living and had a guy win and place in 2 of 3 catagories he entered with the same car!!

Beautifully built 68 Camaro entered in a stock class. As soon as they had judged that catagory and placed the awards (he took 1st) and moved on to Custom he took the car outside and withing 10 minutes he had it in his spot at the Drag racing table. He had swapped motors hood and added slicks and HemI Hunter decals to the doors. He didn't get an award there. When they got to the street rod class he had removed the blower engine and replaced it with a tunnel rammed, removed the hood and the door decals and slicks. had deep cragars on the back with wide tires and the front fenders had been primered and bumper removed!!! He took third place!!!

People complained but the organizers didn't have a clue what to do as he had registered "A" 68 Camaro in all three catagories (5 buck registration per car) and said there really was nothing in the single page of rules that prhibited him from doing that!!! :unsure:

the fact that he did that without breaking the car is amazing.

i do in fact ignore the repeaters seen it one seen it enough

Edited by Lownslow

I think a lot of guys keep entering models because if it wins the first time it should win again and again and again. Why enter something that might not be a winner when you have already built a winner so to speak. It's the afraid to lose mentality. Probably entered by the same guys who if they lost would be in the judges face about being cheated or that winning car shouldn't be in catagory etc etc.

Exactly what you are talking about happens at our county fair in the photography contest for the last 8 years the same photo has been entered and won catagory and overall several times and every year finishes atleast in the top 2 in catagory. I don't know why it is allowed over and over and from personal experience I can say it is hardly ever the best in catagory much less overall.

After one of my models received an award at a specific event, I 'retired' that car from that event. The only time I've brought a car back to has been the NNL East for their theme classes, which are non-competitive.

I haven't finished anything in a few months at least, and my green '66 Beetle is headed back to NJ with me next month for the 'showroom stock' theme class.