Model Cars Magazine Forum

rant: why do people always show the same car over and over

Guest Johnny

the fact that he did that without breaking the car is amazing.

i do in fact ignore the repeaters seen it one seen it enough

I was there for the whole thing helping a friend watch his display of about 30 cars and trucks.(he only entered one in large scale class) and I was amazed at what he was doing!

Didn't think it was right but he sure had to put some planning into it beforehand! :lol:

I'm sitting here right now looking at an old broken 2nd place trophy the only trophy I ever won at a model show in 1968, a local hobby shop show with an open format. The car that won it long gone stolen with a buch of others in 1977 while moving.

I have never been big on entering contests, just not my thing. But it was fun the few I did. Went in not expecting anything so the one I placed in was quite a pleasant surprise! :)

I'm afraid I don't agree with the O.P. on this one. I love seeing new builds for sure, but I also enjoy revisiting many of the older builds as well. There's one builder I know of who's returned year after year for over 10 years with many of the same builds and I 'm glad that he does. His older builds are no less inspiring to me this year than they were the first time I saw them. A good build is a good build. Same is true in the 1:1 world, love the new stuff but have no problem with someone returning with something I may have already seen - sometimes I find details I may have missed the first go-round. I say 'live and let live', at one point or another we all get our moment in the sun, maybe not by winning a contest, but by the kind comment another participant or attendee offers when viewing one of our builds. Seeing a model for the fifth or sixth year in a row doesn't diminish my enjoyment of the 'new' builds you may have brought. Don't let the competition aspect of the hobby take precedence over the sharing of ideas that contests and NNLs provide. ;)

Edited by Qwit Pushin

Their old builds might be new to me so I do not mind seeing them.

I look through the older threads just for that reason.

I do not post my older builds as they do not look nearly as good now as they did just a year ago.

I hope my skills keep improving and this years builds look a little weak next year :)

As has been mentioned in this thread before, a lot of it is human nature. As human beings, we are all naturally competitive. Our brains are wired to enjoy things that make us happy. The dopamine reward path is why some people have issues with cigarettes, alcohol, and other things that aren't good for us. Whenever we do things that make us feel good or make us happy, it's the dopamine rush in our brains that causes this. It's what makes us want to do that thing over and over again. For all of us here, it's building model cars that creates that "rush". It's why we're into this hobby.

For the contest builders, they want to win. They want to show off what they've done that makes them feel "better" than others. So if a builder has built a model that won a contest once, the desire to get that "good feeling" from winning a contest will just naturally cause them to bring it again. We all want that positive feedback. The "Workbench" and "Under Glass" forums here are proof of that. We want people to comment on what we've done and say "You've done a good job." We want positive reinforcement so we get that dopamine rush in our brains.

Personally, I don't care about contests or whatnot. I put my posts in the Workbench or Under Glass section to get feedback to help me improve on my talents. Not so I can win a contest, but so I can satisfy myself. I am the most critical and difficult judge ever when I'm looking at my own models. I can always see the faults I've made even if nobody else can. A few years ago, I built a poker table out of high quality materials and white oak. I had never done woodworking before. My poker buddies and my father looked at the table and were amazed. While it looks and functions good, I can still see the small flaws and they drive me crazy. So by posting topics in the Workbench and Under Glass forums, I hope to get other critical eyes to review my builds and give me the constructive criticism I seek.

I really couldn't care less about what a "judge" thinks of my build. The only judge that matters to me is the one located within my cranium.

Sorry for the lengthy, scientific post. Once a science guy, always a science guy. :)

Generally I dont have a problem with bringing older builds to an event. If shows limited the entries to current builds I doubt there would be very many models to look at. I do however try to avoid entering a model in competition that has won previously at the same show.

Raisin

The only model car shows/contests I have been to were ones associated w/ 1:1 car shows. Most of these I attended while "out" of modeling, so I am going on my behavior on these forums. I always "follow" builds here that I can learn from or that I have a similar build planned for. Or if I just plain LOVE it. No big news here. I also "follow" builds I like in the "Under glass" forum so I can revisit them from time to time. So I guess I would enjoy seeing the same builds at shows that I have enjoyed in the past. Of course if I ever had to compete against them, lol, that might change. As someone pointed out earlier, competition brings into play human nature that is not always civil!

i have had personal experience with this... a nice guy, but, ALWAYS brought the same stuff every year, nice enough, but, get something NEW!!! anyway, we, as most of y'all, have a rule about previous winners not coming back...well, can ya read my mind?? yep, he won THAT class THAT time!! never saw that model again!! lol

my own idea is to show the model for a year at events, one time only, win or lose, one time only!!

Edited by weasel

I don't mind people bringing old models to shows. They are new to a lot of people. I do believe that once you win a particular show, that car should be inelligible to win again at that show.

There is some class shopping goin on, but there is also judges brain fade, when they judge models in the wrong class, just because the entrant put/entered it there. I was at a show last year when a beautiful shinny yellow box stock hot rod won the rat rod class! Shouldn't the judges have noticed that this was not a rat rod, and either ignored this model or moved it into the proper class?

Edited by wisdonm

I dont know a lot about the model show scene, but on a 1:1 scale, I have seen lots of cats year after year with the same unchanged car/truck It gives the owner a sence of belonging I think to have it to enter. I don't know how much it affects the outcome of the show, if it's old, it's not the latest craze so it's not a front runner anyway.

That reason aloan is why I was so into the low rider scene in high school in the last part of the 90s, the same car that would win a title would come back the next year even more radical, very competitive. I don't think that's very possible with a plastic kit. If I had something with tons of my time and talent in it, I wouldn't change it, but I wouldn't wasn't to hide after the first few shows either. Just park it next to the newest edition and call it a family !

Edited by moparmagiclives

I only enter older builds if it's a show I haven't been to or if it didn't win or place. If it won or placed at the same contest I don't enter it again. All the category fudging and re entering the same unchanged build is ethics challenged in my book. If I remember right, someone at Mad City Modelers show in 2008 had a bunch of very well built model cars with "Do Not Judge" signs by each one. I build because I WANT TO BUILD! I always try to do better with each model I do. The shows just add camraderie and shopping opportunities I have always enjoyed. I actually do very few shows in a year. Depends on my building, what I'm shopping for, and other things in my schedule at the time of the show.

Guilty. - on some counts.

I have a yellow 37 chevy custom that may have more miles on in than some 1:1 show cars. I brought it to contests and shows for at least 5 years I never repeated a contest, but I did repeat show it for NNLs. In fact a friend of mine did start making fun of me for not retiring it. It takes me a long time to finish a model so I do not have a lot of options if I want to go to a show.

Personally, I like seeing builds more than once, especially if they are one of my favorites. Maybe if they have placed in a contest before they should be on display only at that particular show.

Scott

Maybe contests should start having a past winners catagory. And once your build places in that catagory it's done for that show. Shows could also have a non judged past winners catagory so people can just show off what they have built and probably won with before.

One of the catagories I don't understand is the need for a under construction catagory and why give awards for it. How do you judge a model that isn't done yet?

a lot of you guys must realy hate me at shows lol. :D :D i always show the same cars as they are a part of my junkyard. i do sometimes sell off one model and put one or more in its place. i would need an extention on my life to build another yard like this and as far as i know the big guy is not granting any..lol :D this year the yard will be a little bigger with the addition of the esso station and a couple new cars.

Captured2010-10-100014-1.jpg

Copy2ofIMG_9911-vi1.jpg

Copy2ofIMG_9903-vi1.jpg

Edited by jerseyjunker1