Model Cars Magazine Forum

Modelers guilt?

This past weekend it was guite windy. With only a carport it's not the greatest time to paint. But still, there was plenty of other modeling stuff I could have done. But I didn't, I played games with my sons, hit the dog park, played some Star Wars: Old Republic on my computer with some online pals. I had a good time.

So why do I actually feel guilty for not working on my models? Is it because they represent a monetory value that is sitting unused? Is it because I'm in a couple of CBP's? This isn't a new thing either. I'll go to bed Sunday night, admonishing myself for not getting more done on this model or that, instead of goofing off.

Anyone else have this issue or am I the only mental case?

I do the same thing---get to playing with the grand kids, or the dogs, or playing on the computer, and then afterwards think--I should have fabbed this or painted that. As for being a Mental case??? Hey we all suffer from styrene illness at some level, mine is so sever I will wake up in the middle of the night and work on my current build--or research for the next,

I think you would feel the opposite guilt if you worked on your models and didn't play with your kids and dog. It's a mental battle for sure. The only time I feel legitimate guilt is when I spend too much time on the computer instead of building or hanging out with my kids.

Rob, this is a great topic and thread. I feel it all the time, although I would say I would not feel it if I did something family related. Actually, I feel it whenever I am at the bench that I am in fact STEALING time away from other matter, both personal and professional in nature, but then I snap out of it and feel fine a few hours later.

I know I feel guilty if I am not building in particular when I order supplies or after market parts and then a week or two go by and I don't build. I ask myself what's it all for, anyway. Did I make a mistake.

I think this is all natural, and very much a part of the creative process, just like when I finish a build I tend to get depressed and then spend a week or so moping about uninspired.

It does help to talk about it, so thank you for bringing it up.

Building plastic models is actually a part of my rehabilitative therapy. See , I have severe arthritis in the wrists and the fingers . The doctors I see say at least trying to exercise with small tools are good as it exercises the joints . O K , I get tired easily as it's hard to sit any real periods any more . I spend as much time as i can with my son . He is my most important asset . We actually build a couple of model projects together on occasion too. Together , we have built several cars . The only guilt I ever have is spending too much money on certain supplies and kits . Ed Shaver

The only time I feel guilty is when I spend too much time at the bench. Yes,there is such a thing. There's no way I would feel guilty for spending time with my son and having time for myself instead of working on a model. Time with my son is far more valuable than time with a model. I think you would feel more guilt if you had chosen working on a model over spending time with your son. Models will always be around. Kids grow up and move away from home. If you're feeling guilty for not working on a model,you may be taking it a little too seriously.

If you're feeling guilty for not working on a model,you may be taking it a little too seriously.

Quite possibly. I don't regret the time with my sons far from it. But I don't regret time I spend at the bench either, because they are 16 and 18 and are usually off doing their own things. My family does not lack from attention from me, it's more the other things I do. PC games, TV etc.

I actually feel guilty from time to time for having to many started and not finished builds going at one time. Glad to know I'm not the only one who feels weird sometimes.

I feel them same way at times.

I also feel guilty for spending too much time working on them and not enough doing other things. I have no kids, and the wife works nights so I have ample time to work on them but I often neglect myself! I should be working out and losing a few pounds and finish building my race motor for my real car! If the weather is not "ideal" to be out in the garage I am inside working on "my toy cars" as my wife puts it! lol!

But real soon I will be outside i the gaeage and the models will be on the back burner. Then after a while I will have the not getting any work done on my models guilt again.

modeling is addictive. I get to working on one, especially scratching a part or heavily modding one and it becomes an obsession until I get it done. What is weird will that is then sometimes i am content with the model and it stis unfinished till it catches my attention again.

The only time I feel guilty is when I spend too much time at the bench. Yes,there is such a thing. There's no way I would feel guilty for spending time with my son and having time for myself instead of working on a model. Time with my son is far more valuable than time with a model. I think you would feel more guilt if you had chosen working on a model over spending time with your son. Models will always be around. Kids grow up and move away from home. If you're feeling guilty for not working on a model,you may be taking it a little too seriously.

I think Roger pretty much summed it up , and for me after only 6 months back in the Hobby I found

myself listening to everybody but myself about modeling! I did just what Roger said , took it WAY to serious .

Then it just kinda clicked it's my money , my models , do it my way and presto I am having FUN that is

what is should be about if it's a hobby.

Edited because I just can't seem to spell !

Edited by heatride

Maybe consider this Rob... I only feel guilty about not working on models on weekends. I have all the time in the world, time even reserved for just that. Yet Sunday night nothing got done.

I've concluded it's because modeling fits into weeknights after supper much better than on weekends when everything else is going on, even if it's sleeping, goofing off and vacationing from the weekday obligations, because that's what I need to recoup from the previous week's day job. And as mentioned before, the model will always be there. If they become an obligation, you don't feel (mentally?) rested.

Thusly, things more recreational get your attention. Guilt not my friend.

Edited by Lunajammer

No matter how much you enjoy something, breaks are needed from it to avoid burning out or overdoing it. Some weekends I'd rather be out on the town or out of town but plans aren't always there. My house could be neater too. When my house is TOO NEAT I don't like to mess it up again. It's about balancing your priorities. I wouldn't feel too guilty about not building when other things need to happen.

My situation is completely different. The last model I built took me 11 months to complete, 3 times as a matter of fact. I've had a medical condition for about 18 months or so(really closer to 2 years) where I have headaches to the point where I lose my balance and act retarded (as my daughter says). After 3 nerologists, 2 mri's, a sleep disorder study and countless changes in medication. And no I don't have migraines. They don't know what causes them, as many as 6 to 10 a day. So I build when I can. The Chevelle I built I dropped the night before a show. I still went and explained what happened everyone was happy I just made it to the show. I finnished again and the same thing happened, so all my friends said they would get me coffee if I brought it finnished or not to the next one. I did and suprised everyone, not because I brought it but because it was a Chevy and not a Mopar. I enjoy my friends through the hobby and can help them even with my issues and se them smile. I tell you wait till the doctors figure out my head and I'll be kickin' butts with Mopars and smilin'.

Happy Modelin

• 2 years later...

This past weekend it was guite windy. With only a carport it's not the greatest time to paint. But still, there was plenty of other modeling stuff I could have done. But I didn't, I played games with my sons, hit the dog park, played some Star Wars: Old Republic on my computer with some online pals. I had a good time.

So why do I actually feel guilty for not working on my models? Is it because they represent a monetory value that is sitting unused? Is it because I'm in a couple of CBP's? This isn't a new thing either. I'll go to bed Sunday night, admonishing myself for not getting more done on this model or that, instead of goofing off.

Anyone else have this issue or am I the only mental case?

Upon gaining entrance to the house, we followed bizarre noises, :wacko: which sounded both like yelping & laughing....there, in a corner of a room, was a babbling figure, smiling, banging away at a computer keyboard, with his feet. He had glued parts of models onto himself & had begun eating some of the furniture. :unsure: We immediatly restrained him, using the classic tranquilizer gun & straightjacket teqnique . :blink: Rob is now resting comfortably at the Lazy Oaks Modellers Rehab Centre. :)

Edited by Krazy Rick

I think you would feel the opposite guilt if you worked on your models and didn't play with your kids and dog. It's a mental battle for sure. The only time I feel legitimate guilt is when I spend too much time on the computer instead of building or hanging out with my kids.

Yep.

Models will be there anytime I want or need them to be . because they're not going anywhere while I'm alive

Upon gaining entrance to the house, we followed bizarre noises, :wacko: which sounded both like yelping & laughing....there, in a corner of a room, was a babbling figure, smiling, banging away at a computer keyboard, with his feet. He had glued parts of models onto himself & had begun eating some of the furniture. :unsure: We immediatly restrained him, using the classic tranquilizer gun & straightjacket teqnique . :blink: Rob is now resting comfortably at the Lazy Oaks Modellers Rehab Centre.

That's awesome. :lol:

but-Im-feeling_zpskfa2nwey.jpg

IIt has been so cold here {Chicago} that I can't even work in my basement. The space heater does not help. I don't know if I feel guilty but I sure do want to start building.

For a long time I would work on my cars all day long on Saturday and Sunday. It started to turn into a job not a hobby.

I felt guilty about spending all weekend in the basement, So I took a break and did other things. After all spending time with your family is what life is all about. Any other thing is secondary.

Mike

Me I have a different problem... I tend to feel guilty when I buy myself a kit even though its not very often at all the last one was over a year ago. With very tight money issues as normal here I tend to feel like that thinking maybe I should just save the money for bills but still have to have something to do.

I know exactly how you guys feel. I've acquired over 200 models since i started back in into this hobby however, due to my living circumstances (not enough room in the house to set shop) i have only been able to build 2 or 3 models a year. I really don't let it bother me much, I know that I do not plan on selling the kits ever, and plan on building each one of them. I know that the time to build will come eventually. Models tend to appreciate in value, so there isn't much of a monetary loss anyway!. Its always great to snatch a model that might be out of production eventually, In which one might pay 2x 3x down the line. I do enjoy looking at my collection, and get a euphoric feeling every time I stare at those kits, untouched, thinking of all the build possibilities. I do know that my skills were getting quite good at my fourth build, but just like anything else, If you do not use it, you lose it!. Oh well, I might start off again with some old amt corvette models. I believe everything is good in moderation, there has to be an equal balance, I would not let any hobby interfere with my personal life, or career. I have seen this happen to a lot of people, sometimes it is hard to let go. I set certain time limits that I am going to spend building models, and stop after Ive reached that limit, although I have deviated from that set limit if I am in the middle of a body paint job!. Besides, I have to allow time for making beer and astronomy! I have learned quite a lot about the night sky, recently obtained a huge telescope!

Ill tell ya though, when I do feel guilty, and im sure some you guys dont agree on this one, is when I have 4-5 kits in process of building, and never get finished! that to me for some reason is a waste of kit and $$$$$! It really bugs me when people do that, I cant start something and not finish it!. I have a set rule that I will only work with 2 kits at a time max !. Assuming that one is drying off, while another one is getting put together.