Model Cars Magazine Forum

I'm as happy as I can be :D :D I found this kit in my grandmother's attic, as I thought I had lost it all this time.

I remember my mother buying this kit for me at Woolco in the early seventies.

I just don't know whether to build it or leave it unbuilt as I know these are hard to come across.

I wanted some input from you guys as what to do and maybe if I decide to build it wondering if I go stock with it

or maybe the gasser look as whats on the box lid, as I really like the gasser look.

Also I know nothing on kit values, so I was wondering what these kit's go for these day's?

Here are pics of the kit:

$(KGrHqR,!p!E8Vh2ttU)BPRE1fHQFw~~60_58.JPG

$(KGrHqR,!lYE8F!qvQs0BPRE2LPElQ~~60_58.JPG$(KGrHqN,!i0E8W+5vGi9BPRE21Yd1Q~~60_58.JPG$(KGrHqNHJCUE9!M2DEVNBPRE3kwCqg~~60_58.JPG

That's a cool find Steve! I would build it since it was something your mother bought for you. That's a memory that couldn't be replaced by whatever the kit is worth. I have a mint '71 Impala Mild N Wild molded in red that I got an appraisal from one of the best in the business. Two years ago,it was worth $150. The '71 is where those goofy out of scale parts and high rider parts came from originally. There were a few kits in '71 that came with those parts and apparently they spilled over into the '72s. Lots of drugs going around in the '70s and apparently the design team at MPC were getting more than their share of them! :lol:

My thoughts exactly Harry!

I say build it, that is what your Mother bought it for! I would shy away from the box art version though, unless you like the raised "high rider" look!

Thanks Mike, You're right that's what she bought for ! !

I think I will build it but will probably end up with stock version, it's still a toss up though.

Thanks for you inputs :rolleyes:

That's a cool find Steve! I would build it since it was something your mother bought for you. That's a memory that couldn't be replaced by whatever the kit is worth. I have a mint '71 Impala Mild N Wild molded in red that I got an appraisal from one of the best in the business. Two years ago,it was worth $150. The '71 is where those goofy out of scale parts and high rider parts came from originally. There were a few kits in '71 that came with those parts and apparently they spilled over into the '72s. Lots of drugs going around in the '70s and apparently the design team at MPC were getting more than their share of them! :lol:

Thanks Roger, that's what I was thinking maybe everyone at MPC was on drugs...

Thanks to everybody on your inputs after looking over the kit since posting this topic, I have decided to build the Impala as it was bought by her for me to build at the time. The priceless memories of her buying this kit when I was a kid is too priceless for me, no matter what the value might be.

I have chosen to build the Impala as the factory stock version. Thanks for inputs...

Steve :rolleyes:

I'm a builder, but some unbuilt kits I have for the sentimental aspect. I'll never build them, just because I like to open the box and remember what it was like when they were new and corresponded to the new car of the time. Some I have just because I like opening the lid and smelling the old plastic. I don't have many that fit those categories, but they have their place. The main thing to remember is that the model was given to you for the fun of building. It might be nice to build it as a tribute to your mother (her favorite color etc.).

I have that kit, it's an old build. It's in pieces and I'm missing the big block,although it could be in a parts box somewhere. It is still unpainted in it's original metallic blue plastic. My opinion, build it. Or send it to me and I'll build it. :D

Edited by 58 Impala

I'm a builder, but some unbuilt kits I have for the sentimental aspect. I'll never build them

in that instance, i'd build the kit, but keep the box to display it with. models are meant to be built. let collectors go to the prebuilt diecast market.

Cool kit!

This is a long shot I know, but if you are interested in selling it pm me. I have a loved one that I would love to build that for.

I have that kit, it's an old build. It's in pieces and I'm missing the big block,although it could be in a parts box somewhere. It is still unpainted in it's original metallic blue plastic. My opinion, build it. Or send it to me and I'll build it. :D

Sorry Adam,Tom it's not for sale or trade :lol: LOL