Model Cars Magazine Forum

model kits in unexpected places

I was in the Atwoods Farm and Ranch Supply store in Corsicana, Texas and I always check the toy section for stuff for the granddaughters. They had R/M model kits for 14.95. The Black Widow 57 Chevy, Ford Woody 1948, etc. I have never seen them at an Atwoods before. I also frequent the one in Tyler and they have never had them. I just wondered if anyone else had found model kits this way in an unexpected place? Great to see since so many places no longer carry them.

A true modeler looks everywhere. On a road trip for the company one time I found some old (before they were re-released) Monogram '30 Ford Woodies at a dinner. Best place ever ACE Hardware it Tucson,AZ . They have a complete plastic only, and trains too, hobby shop that just keeps on growing.

http://local.yahoo.com/info-20122257-ace-hardware-tucson

A true modeler looks everywhere. On a road trip for the company one time I found some old (before they were re-released) Monogram '30 Ford Woodies at a dinner. Best place ever ACE Hardware it Tucson,AZ . They have a complete plastic only, and trains too, hobby shop that just keeps on growing.

http://local.yahoo.c...hardware-tucson

Interesting...wish the Ace Hardware around the corner from me had a hobby section...

Speaking of farm equipment and models, when I grew up in Ohio, there was a store called Quality Farm & Fleet (I think it was a chain)..they had a great selection of ERTL models and diecast IIRC, around 1980 or so...

We had a Quality F & F here (later turned into a Tractor Supply). They never carried kits, but always did have a nice selection of 1/64 Ertl DC, of which I was collecting at the time.

We still have both Blain's Farm & Fleet and Mill's Fleet Farm (they are semi-related, somehow) around here, and every holiday season they open "Toyland" a special seasonal section in the middle/front of the store. This year neither had any plastic model kits as they did in previous years, but they usually had very slim pickings anyway.

I was in Lancaster pa on a vacation once and found a tsc that had revell kit $7.00 a piece . Then one time I was at a local kabota dealer to get belts for a tractor and on the wall they had a Lindberg Nissan double cab Dooley kit for $13.00.I've also found kits for .50 at a church thrift shop.

I remember as a teenager in the '80s being on a family vacation in Michigan's Upper Peninsula..went into a drugstore in a small town and found a bunch of models, bought several Johans incl. the '74 Cutlass snap kit, '66 Marlin, and '68 Caddy convertible...

When I was living in Whitecourt, AB the Radio Shack there had a rather large kit section. It was the first time I had ever seen anything close to a hobby shop. There were lots of OOP kits and even a Testors paint rack. This was back in early '07; no idea if they still sell kits.

Back when my wife and I were still boyfriend / girlfriend, I would come visit her in her neighborhood. A bodega we would stop in for sodas actually had a couple of model kits on the shelves. This was in the mid 90's.

We also took a trip to Mystic, CT back in the late 90's, and we visited the Mystic Aquarium. The gift shop actually had a resin garage kit of a deep sea submersible. I picked one up, and later sold it off when I lost interest in the vehicle.

at Epcot Center in Disney World. They have Tamiya kits for sale in Japan. bought a 66 Beetle kit when I was there a few years ago.

They still have the 66 Bug.

Did it have a Disney gift shop price?

Actually, it's suggested retail price. (unless Wifey works for Mr. Mouse. Then I get a 35% discount.) Crappy selection, though. I'll post the selection when I go for my birthday next month.

I know they have a 380z, a Skylne, the stock Mini Cooper, a couple of bikes, and some f the wooden walking models. I'll repost next month.

Edited by Wayne's World