Model Cars Magazine Forum

Anybody built the "Kart" from AMT's 1962 kits

9 hours ago, Daddyfink said:

Love the wheels on the 620! What is the source? 

I made one from the kit included spare wheel, added a deeper rim, lug nut detail and the mounting hub then asked Replica & Miniatures to cast them.  I understand he is offering them in his catalog.  I believe he includes the nice Dunlop tire as well in the set.

DSCN6063

Edited by afx

Most of you already know this, but I don't see it specifically mentioned in this thread. 

So for those that do not it, Round 2 recently retooled some of the parts that were missing for the Kart, and included all the entire Kart parts from the 1962 annuals and the 1963 F100 kit  (except for the Bonneville shell and wheels/tires) in their recent 2019 reissue of the AMT/Ertl 1960 Chevrolet Apache kit. 

As for the kart's Bonneville shell and wheels/tires, a betting man would suspect that they will reemerge in some form from Round 2 in the future. 

TIM 

40 minutes ago, tim boyd said:

Most of you already know this, but I don't see it specifically mentioned in this thread. 

So for those that do not it, Round 2 recently retooled some of the parts that were missing for the Kart, and included all the entire Kart parts from the 1962 annuals and the 1963 F100 kit  (except for the Bonneville shell and wheels/tires) in their recent 2019 reissue of the AMT/Ertl 1960 Chevrolet Apache kit. 

As for the kart's Bonneville shell and wheels/tires, a betting man would suspect that they will reemerge in some form from Round 2 in the future. 

TIM 

One of the few new kits I purchased lately - because of the kart and, I admit, heavily influenced by the box art. 
The kart would be a perfect quick Covid-19 days at home project.

On 3/29/2020 at 6:06 AM, afx said:

I made one from the kit included spare wheel, added a deeper rim, lug nut detail and the mounting hub then asked Replica & Miniatures to cast them.  I understand he is offering them in his catalog.  I believe he includes the nice Dunlop tire as well in the set.

DSCN6063

Cool! Thank you and nice job! 

• 8 months later...
On 3/5/2012 at 8:16 PM, tim boyd said:

The entire Kart, plus the Bonneville racing shell and a second set of wheels/tires, was in the 1963 (not 1962) annual kit issue of the AMT Ford F100 Pickup. TIM

AMT1963FordF100Pickup.jpg.9b4863b5b023248602c7885746f1545f.jpg

On 3/30/2020 at 9:53 AM, tim boyd said:

Round 2 recently retooled some of the parts that were missing for the Kart, and included all the entire Kart parts from the 1962 annuals and the 1963 F100 kit  (except for the Bonneville shell and wheels/tires) in their recent 2019 reissue of the AMT/Ertl 1960 Chevrolet Apache kit. 

AMT1063.jpg.fa8a8af84a6d4085f60a306946a30899.jpg

I don't think it was it ever mentioned, but was the AMT go kart model a replica of a specific make and model? Paging through some early '60s issue of hot rod magazines it became clearer just how popular karting was back then, and there were several kart manufacturer ads touting their karts' (and their drivers) accomplishments. The below ad can be found in the March, 1962 issue of Car Craft:

2v2HSRS1Vx6bzhT.jpg

4 hours ago, Casey said:

AMT1963FordF100Pickup.jpg.9b4863b5b023248602c7885746f1545f.jpg

AMT1063.jpg.fa8a8af84a6d4085f60a306946a30899.jpg

I don't think it was it ever mentioned, but was the AMT go kart model a replica of a specific make and model? Paging through some early '60s issue of hot rod magazines it became clearer just how popular karting was back then, and there were several kart manufacturer ads touting their karts' (and their drivers) accomplishments. The below ad can be found in the March, 1962 issue of Car Craft:

2v2HSRS1Vx6bzhT.jpg

I recall possibly writing about this in my article on the go kart that was in Model Cars years ago.  I don't recall being able to trace the exact brand of Go-Kart, but as Todd posted just directly above, the engines were definitely replicas of the most popular McCullough offering.  If you examine the crankcase/engine block, you can clearly see the McCollough branding....TIM 

Edited by tim boyd

9 minutes ago, tim boyd said:

I recall possibly writing about this in my article on the go kart that was in Model Cars years ago.  I don't recall being able to trace the exact brand of Go-Kart, but as Todd posted just directly above, the engines were definitely replicas of the most popular McCullough offering.  If you examine the crankcase/engine block, you can clearly see the McCollough branding....TIM 

it looks alot like a Go Kart 600 . Go Kart brand was one the first carts built 

5 minutes ago, Jack L said:

it looks alot like a Go Kart 600 . Go Kart brand was one the first carts built 

Thanks Jack.....that does sound familiar.   I vaguely recall looking at the mags of the era (Rod and Custom, primarily) and seeing ads for one that looked really similar to the AMT.....If I get time I'll try to find my old MCM article and see if I mentioned this there....TIM 

5 hours ago, wku88 said:

I don't know about the Kart, but the engines are definitely McCullochs. McC did build Karts as well.

Thanks. This appears to be a modified McCulloch engine, too:

McCkart.jpg.5f4e9b78e8ae2d4c292123be39d9d6fd.jpg

Edited by Casey

I hadn’t realized the cart was dual engine!  I wanted carts but hesitated to buy the 60 Chevy pickup since I already had a couple of them. Then I came across someone who wanted a couple pickups but didn’t want the carts. We made a deal!

I should pull them out, I have a project in mind!

3 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

I hadn’t realized the cart was dual engine!  I wanted carts but hesitated to buy the 60 Chevy pickup since I already had a couple of them. Then I came across someone who wanted a couple pickups but didn’t want the carts. We made a deal!

I should pull them out, I have a project in mind!

The Kart can actually be built as either a single or dual engine format.....TIM 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 2/16/2019 at 9:31 PM, Casey said:

The other four, starting with the '62 Chevy II Hardtop Sport Coupe:

AMT62ChevyIISCGoKartParts.jpg.b040af54689717e6ea177ae754699cef.jpg

'62 Imperial Hardtop:

AMT1962ImperialHTGoKartParts.jpg.60d6956cb113d32abc1a2c22270f8336.jpg

'62 Lincoln Continental Four-Door Sedan:

AMT1962LincolnContDrSedanGoKartParts.jpg.d2462d65a0246895e78c15dbf9e8f299.jpg

1962 Mercury Monterey:

AMT1962MercMontereyHT6-vi.jpg

Done.