Model Cars Magazine Forum

Pro-Touring 66 Impala

Prostreet

I needed a little break from my pro-Mod so i started on this 66 impala, I guess you would call it a Pro-Touring. Not going crazy on this build, just want a nice clean build. Started with the revell 66 396 hardtop and some Mr Model photo-etched wheels, First thing is i wanted a deep dish wheel in the rear. In the first picture you can see the wheels are made to have positive offset front and rear, You can reverse the wheels but then you have a lip that won't match the front wheels as you can see in the 2nd picture, So i chucked it up in my lathe and cut a lip into the rear wheel to match the front wheel. You can see the results in the 3rd picture. The way the hubs are designed and with running a deep dish in the back the car will not have a rear, It has just a stright tube. Might use the stock engine and put a resin procharger style supercharger on it or maybe a Ross Gibson 502, For the body i sanded the molding off the side and filled in the windshield wiper holes and cowl vent. I put a coat of primer on it so far and need to do a little more sanding, Hope to have some color on it by wed.

d286abbb.jpg

898cdd47.jpg

6a7da8d1.jpg

e5216de6.jpg

e6f607c3.jpg

3c00a7b9.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Little update on this one. Had to strip the body 2 times, Was trying to paint it Model Masters White lightning lacquer and kept having and issue with it. So i ended up painting it Dupli-color Dark shadow gray and then hit it with some Tamiya clear. Turned out pretty good, all the trim will be matte black i might also do the bumper matte black. I painted the rim portion of the wheels matte black, Working on a Ross Gibson 502 for it now. I painted the stock hood all ready also but might go with a 3" cowl.

a7dd9daf.jpg

84825019.jpg

Guest JamesDE

Great work on this... I wish I woulda seen this sooner, i can tell you that the white lightning one coat lacquer is straight garbage... Everyone I've talked Rojas had bad results using it.... But you pulled it off with this beautiful paint job!

Thx. Guys, Got a little more done. Made aluminum surround for the engine compartment, I work at a print shop so i get plenty of printing plate to use so i made the surround out of that. The side parts will sit a little higher once finished, Right now everything is just sitting there.

b30eb027.jpg