Model Cars Magazine Forum

Time Capsule Plymouth

had a conversation ith someone I work with today. and forgot one thing, you need oxygen to produce rust. if the hole was sealed. and very little oxygen got into the vault, then the cars stands a very good chance of being in decent shape. a little soggy, but in good shape. if you notice they used the original beams in which the car was placed in the ground to lift it up. that right there is a good sign. they where still in good shape, and showed very little rust. and they werent protected by the elements.

Haven't found any pics of the Belevedere online, but I watched the unveiling live on local TV. It is a TOTAL loss. Nothing but rust and dirt everywhere. Boyd got the hood and trunk open. The gasoline and motor oil were still in the trunk. They had been placed in glass bottles before being placed inside metal cans. The seats were gone too. One bright spot was on the front bumper. A worker removed some of the years of grime to find nice shiny chrome underneath.

A time capsule that was also placed inside the vault survived intact.

as expected. body in decent shape. interior is a mess, barely recognizable. I'm serprised the tires survived. maybe the water helped that. hopefully they won't clean. its needs to be left in it current state. it will end up in some museum somewhere. to tell you the truth its prohibably worth more then a similar completely restored car.

she's out of the water, and out of the hole, and surprisingly. they got it out and its still in 1 piece. so there is still hope for it. but notice the rear fender. notice the rear fender. looks like the covering came off, but it looks more muddy then rusty. oh well, guess we'll know at 12.00 P.M.

DSC08742.JPG

OK, so am I the only one who noticed that Tulsa Police come in Small, Medium and Large? Sorry, I could not let it go.

Myself and one of the cars guys here in OKC were discussing this the other day. He saw the car up close and said it didn't look as bad in person. I am still thinking that it is not as bad as it seems. Oklahoma is famous for it's red dirt. When you apply water to it, it looks quite rusty. I was out shooting some flooding video the other day. When I got back to the station, my car looked almost this bad from the beltline down due to the red mud. I still want to see it cleaned up. My friend said that the guys at the show were walking around the car banging on the lower panels and it sounded solid. I guess we will still have to wait and see

I feel the same way, its looks worse then it really is, but it is sitting really low in the back, notice the algae on the undercarriage.

023.jpg

It is sitting on its original 50 year old tires

016.jpg

The interior, not pretty

029.jpg

I doubt if she will ever start again.

032.jpg

a good close shot of the rear fender, does'nt look to bad, although it looks like the paint is bubbling (prohibably from the Battery Acid)

055.jpg

here's some excellent pics from Car domain.

http://www.cardomain.com/event/2007/06/17/BUR?c=0&p=1

My parents have a family cabin at a local lake here in Oregon. The cabin is right on the edge of Crescent Lake and like all the cabins on that lake it has a boat dock. This dock is built on a hand made steel ladder frame with a car axle underneath. The rear axle is some sort of truck axle with leaf springs and no shocks. The rubber tires and axle are under water 80% of the time and pulled out of the water in the winter. The truck axle allows it to be easily pulled up on the beach for storage and/or repairs.

Since Dad purchased the cabin in 1972 he has replaced the deck three times, the axle never. It is the same axle that was under there since the dock was built long before we came along and yet the wheels turn smoothly when ever it is pulled out of the water. The tires even have no problem holding air after all these years!

Yes, I am sure the Plymouth probably rolls very well. Remember, it was totally under water at least once but I would bet that during the summer months the water level was pretty much where it was when the vault was opened and lower at times. I suspect the Plymouth is in way better shape in some respects (mechanically) than it looks in the pictures.

• 1 year later...

Need to bring back an old thread to post that some good progress has been made on the car. here's a vid. They need to replace the chassis from what I understand. its too rusty to support the weight of the heavy Plymouth. they also say they can get the engine running by the end of the year

medium_carrr.JPG

The buried car....1 year later

Edited by gasman

Need to bring back an old thread to post that some good progress has been made on the car. here's a vid. They need to replace the chassis from what I understand. its too rusty to support the weight of the heavy Plymouth. they also say they can get the engine running by the end of the year

medium_carrr.JPG

The buried car....1 year later

That is too bad. I would have loved to seen it pulled out in prestine condition. I wonder where they went wrong?

They would have been better off dumping it in the cold water of Lake Mich, where they have pulled some 60 year old aircaft that was in nearly in prestine condition. One Wildcat they pulled up the battery still took a charge and held it, had oil in the crankcase and the engine turned.