Model Cars Magazine Forum

87-93 mustang LX coupe/Hatch

AFX was making one, but it disappeared. someone from HH about 4-5 years ago casted one, but I can remember his name. and I don't know if he's still casting them. if someone steps up to the plate and makes one, i'll buy a couple

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Rick, like this?

MustangLX002.jpg

MustangLX003.jpg

MustangLX005.jpg

I got this one at least 10 years ago and started in it. I'm glad I never finished it though. Art Anderson did a great job on it, but there were a few things that needed to be changed to make it an 87-93 model. The resin body was based off an 84 carborated model. I cut out the original engine bay and added the one from the 92 kit. I also never did like the fact that it had the 84 side trim on it. Now that my skills have greatly improved, when ever I get back to this model I will remove the 84 trim and add the 92 from the kit. I'll just have to be carefull with the door area as CHP deleted the door trim. Good luck on your search.

• 4 weeks later...
I'm working on an accurate master for one now to be released by Reliable Resin. It will have the correct side trim, interior, engine compartment, rear quarter window shape, and front clip. essentially everything the previous attempts at this subject have been lacking. stay tuned for it's release date.

I see no mention of the taillights, unless they are included in the phrase "essentially everything the previous attempts at this subject have been lacking." :D (just messing with you Darin)

You better get busy Darin, many people are waiting, including myself.

For those that can't wait, there is someone that has a copy they are selling now.

DSCF5834.jpg

You can find out how to order on that other message board, the one that only allows 3 pics per post.

Edited by Abell82

I see no mention of the taillights, unless they are included in the phrase "essentially everything the previous attempts at this subject have been lacking." :D (just messing with you Darin)

You better get busy Darin, many people are waiting, including myself.

For those that can't wait, there is someone that has a copy they are selling now.

DSCF5834.jpg

You can find out how to order on that other message board, the one that only allows 3 pics per post.

Yes this will have the correct tail lights too. When we discussed doing this kit, we knew that it would be put under the microscope by those who desperatly want one of these. With the high demand there is for this subject we figured it's well worth the time to get it right. when it came to making the appropriate changes to make the coupe body I went the extra mile to measure every possible angle and dimension. I think you guys will be pleased.

Yes this will have the correct tail lights too. When we discussed doing this kit, we knew that it would be put under the microscope by those who desperatly want one of these. With the high demand there is for this subject we figured it's well worth the time to get it right. when it came to making the appropriate changes to make the coupe body I went the extra mile to measure every possible angle and dimension. I think you guys will be pleased.

I trust yours will have the correct roofline; the gray one in the picture has issues w/the rear quarter window and C pillar angle, and is clearly sub-par versus the AAM body.

It will be nice having one that's got all the corrections; I did one myself years ago when I owned an '88 sedan but didn't have the skills to do the correct side trim. To make taillights I took SVO Mustang rear lenses and filled the outer lenses w/superglue to correct them.

While everyone still likes the notchback sedan, there's a ready market for resin hatchbacks and GT coupes as well; All American did those, and they too were compromised in some fashion, as the basic Monogram kit has many compromises as well.

• 1 month later...
AFX was making one, but it disappeared. someone from HH about 4-5 years ago casted one, but I can remember his name. and I don't know if he's still casting them. if someone steps up to the plate and makes one, i'll buy a couple

The Person in question from the HHMB was Tom Montgomery aka Phantomphan. As far as I know he stopped making them for reasons unknown??? It is good to hear that Darin is getting one together. I have one coupe/notchback in my stash that I believe is an AAM but I am not 100% sure. I do not know how to tell. I recieved it a few years back when I bought out one of my buddies collections. Its weird but that one casting is like a chunk of gold!!! Hopefully when the new one is out there will be plenty and I won't feel bad if I build one!!!! KT

I missed the AAM LX hatch years ago and have been hoping someone would do this so I could do a replica of my '92. Thanks for your efforts. I won't miss it this time.

I just noticed that AF/X N Scale resin has updated thier site, and they now claim to be producing the LX Coupe again. Of course, selling them, and ACTUALLY shipping them... ;)

Here is the pic, from their site.

87-93%20Mustang%20Coupe.jpg

Sounds cool but, I'm going to wait for Darin and Don to finish theirs I like that Darin says he measured everything out to make sure it is accurate and that pic you show have the wrong tail lights in it .

I want to make an accurate version of the car and I know that Don will send out the parts you order unlike what I hear about AF/X N Scale

I'm not widely known as a fan of late-model Mustangs, but those LX coupes have long been a favorite of mine.......now where'd I stash my NYS trooper decals? ;)

Haha! I have some FHP decals that have been hiding in the spares box for a few years now... might have to get two Mustangs now...

• 1 month later...

The prototype certainly has the right "look" to it at this stage!! Nice work, Darin - it will be nice to have an accurate LX readily available from a trustworthy dealer at a reasonable price!! You and Don are planning to make the 15-inch "10 hole" factory wheels available as well, aren't you??